CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Your very first job (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/381297-your-very-first-job.html)

Lakers Fan March 18th, 2011 10:24 PM

Your very first job
 
I worked for a newspaper published by the American Baptist Convention for a salary of $59 per week. I was offered a raise to $60 after 4 weeks of employment and I was so happy .

ToddDH March 18th, 2011 10:54 PM

My first job was delivering newspapers when I was about ten. My first real job was after school working at a factory spot welding bomb fins for 500 pound bombs when I turned 16 then a job slinging hamburgers for a local Burger Chef (a chain which no longer exists but I still think was far better than McDonalds) where I became a shift manager at 17.

Todd

Lakers Fan March 18th, 2011 11:00 PM

Jobs in teen years
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddDH (Post 1360629)
My first job was delivering newspapers when I was about ten. My first real job was after school working at a factory spot welding bomb fins for 500 pound bombs when I turned 16 then a job slinging hamburgers for a local Burger Chef (a chain which no longer exists but I still think was far better than McDonalds) where I became a shift manager at 17.

Todd

Age 13: Dog Walker
Age 16: Worked part time for a Veterinarian
Age 16: Assistant Counsellor in a day camp

Dhill March 19th, 2011 02:40 AM

My very first job I was 14 years old . Worked on a charter boat I got paid $1.00 per person. We made 3 four hour trips a day with 14 people on the first trip about 8 on the secound and 3 or 4 on the last trip. Paid in cash every day.This was back in 1974 it cost $15.00 for a 4 hour trip same trip today $80.00.:)

Pootersdad March 19th, 2011 07:11 AM

First Job
 
Well, I had the obligatory paper route, but my first "real" job was as a pin setter in a bowling alley. I had to load the pins in the holder thing, push it down to set the pins on the alley, then get the H*** out of the way. A flying bowling pin could kill you. Terrible hot, dirty, dangerous job, but I was getting $1.25 an hour, so I thought I was in hog heaven.:shock:

Cruznut2 March 19th, 2011 07:47 AM

I worked in a nursing home at the age of 14. I worked in the kitchen mostly. We had 101 beds in that facility. I had to help set up and serve meals. Then I deliviered the meals to the ones who had to eat in their rooms. I also fed a blind man who shared a room with his wife. They were Italian and spoke no english. After dinner it was my job to clean the kitchen and wash the dishes. Some of those pots were huge and hard to handle. I always got wet and dirty. Then the last thing I had to do was wash the floors. I remember the roll around bucket and huge heavy mop that I could barely lift. I did all that for .75 an hour.
There was a woman in there that I met while cleaning her room. She had a picture of Raymond Burr on her bureau. He was the star of the tv series Perry Mason. She was his Mother.

Laura

am588 March 19th, 2011 08:59 AM

Age 15: Cashier, Customer Service, and Bakery at a local grocery store

skymaster March 19th, 2011 09:04 AM

I worked at a dry goods store after school every day, where I swept the floor, washed the big plate glass windows etc., That was about 1956 or so, and I made $3 per week! BIG MONEY!
Later I had the paper route, and then at the tender age of 17, went into the Marine Corps. I got a raise in salary there! :cool:

"SKY"

Dhill March 19th, 2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skymaster (Post 1360678)
I worked at a dry goods store after school every day, where I swept the floor, washed the big plate glass windows etc., That was about 1956 or so, and I made $3 per week! BIG MONEY!
Later I had the paper route, and then at the tender age of 17, went into the Marine Corps. I got a raise in salary there! :cool:

"SKY"

And free room and board and I bet you even got paid to travell around the world. Have a good day:)

ToddDH March 19th, 2011 10:55 AM

Sky,

You reminded me of another job I held around 14 and that was the local Men's Store back when such places had expensive high quality threads. I still know how to tell you whether something is well made or garbage. Now I'm writing about men's clothes.

To this day I'm amazed that so many expensive suits are crap whereas mid priced suits can be far superior. DO NOT go by the label! Learn how to identify a good suit by talking with an unbaised individual such as a tailor. It's not rocket science and only takes about five minutes.

Todd

CruisinK n J March 19th, 2011 12:03 PM

Your Very First Job
 
When I graduated from high school, I went with three friends to Rochester, Minnesota to the Mayo Clinic to apply for a job. I got the job because they didn't hire part time. My friends were going to college in the Fall and I wasn't. College came a lot later for me. We were paid once a month and worked a half day every Saturday. That was in l956. I made a little over $100 a month.

Judy

granny of the seas March 19th, 2011 01:19 PM

Woolworth's. Got Working Papers at age 16 and worked every Saturday behind the stationery counter for $1.00 per hour. Worked for 8 hours every Saturday and got paid a whopping $16.00 for 2 weeks work. In those days, you stood behind the counter, waited on customers, rang up the sale and filled in the counter as merchandise was sold. Talk about personal service.

Leyla from Long Island

nlb1050 March 19th, 2011 01:25 PM

Not counting the babysitting I did starting at age 13, my first regular paying job was as a maid on Sunday's at the small motel my Father had bought on Clearwater Beach, Fl. I was 16, after a few months I also worked a bit in the motel office, I was paid $1.25 per hour. I can tell you that college students that would come in looking for a place to stay for Spring break would try may things to get me to say that they could stay and not follow the rules, it never worked. I knew what would happen to me if I had done that.

Manuel March 19th, 2011 02:23 PM

My first job was stocking shelves in a small grocery store when I was fiftenn years old.
When I turned 16 I got a job in a large spermarket. I did stocking shelves, bagging and retrieving carts.

TM

Fern March 19th, 2011 07:23 PM

My first job (besides babysitting) was as a Certified Dental Assistant. I made $100.00 a week and that covered all my expenses nicely :shock:.

ruthlessboss March 19th, 2011 07:43 PM

First real job was as a nurse's aide. Minimum wage was 90 cents an hour.

Lakers Fan March 19th, 2011 10:27 PM

Working papers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by granny of the seas (Post 1360750)
Woolworth's. Got Working Papers at age 16 and worked every Saturday behind the stationery counter for $1.00 per hour. Worked for 8 hours every Saturday and got paid a whopping $16.00 for 2 weeks work. In those days, you stood behind the counter, waited on customers, rang up the sale and filled in the counter as merchandise was sold. Talk about personal service.

Leyla from Long Island


The only time I needed to get working papers was for a day camp job .I went to State St in Brooklyn . In 2002 I was in the area and the building was still there .

Kuki March 19th, 2011 11:25 PM

I began working at age 15, and haven't stopped yet.. at least part time.

First job was working the produce section at a super market, trimming vegetables, and filling displays.

Then I went into show business - I was an usher at two movie theaters.. when they had ushers.

My next job was night auditor at a hotel. (by night, I mean overnight, graveyard)

From there I went into selling men's clothing, and did that right through my first couple of years in college.

Then I worked in the bush in northern Canada for a geophysical company, analyzing the records of the daily "shoots" they did looking for oil.

During my last year at school a friend and I opened an "indoor plant hospital" (when indoor plants was all the rage in homes and offices- before fake plants took over :)) we did indoor home gardens, office plant sales and maintenance, and had a greenhouse where we nursed people's large plants back to health)

After I sold out to my partner, I went into the bar and restaurant business (that lasted 30 years), and while doing that, I fell into a job writing about cruising for CruiseMates.... which is my only job now. And I'm not looking for another job now because no one would hire me :)

Trip March 20th, 2011 06:46 PM

The famous Filenes Basement, is on my list of jobs..Back then it was only in Boston,and drew celebs when they had their Fur Sales,and the Bridal Gown Runs. The cash registers were the size of Volkswagon Beetles..huge!

One of my stations, was to measure, and, sell hosiery..boy am I dating myself.:rolleyes: You would say to me, I need a 9 short, 28 inches. I would then have to go through the boxes till I found some..I became "Miss Gotham Gold Stripe".....the object of the Basement was, the longer the merchandise stayed in the store, the lower the price went..then it went to Charity...

Let me tell you..back then I was a size 3..and boy did I get deals!

Lakers Fan March 20th, 2011 10:31 PM

Almost the same
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1361069)
The famous Filenes Basement, is on my list of jobs..Back then it was only in Boston,and drew celebs when they had their Fur Sales,and the Bridal Gown Runs. The cash registers were the size of Volkswagon Beetles..huge!

One of my stations, was to measure, and, sell hosiery..boy am I dating myself.:rolleyes: You would say to me, I need a 9 short, 28 inches. I would then have to go through the boxes till I found some..I became "Miss Gotham Gold Stripe".....the object of the Basement was, the longer the merchandise stayed in the store, the lower the price went..then it went to Charity...

Let me tell you..back then I was a size 3..and boy did I get deals!

I had a weekend job when I was in my teens for a very well known Manhattan womans store .The customer would come in and ask for a bra or stockings .The salesperson would call me on the intercom and I would go through all the stock until I found the size .This store which still is open and therefore shall be nameless had a practice of having the stock people re-size .In other words ,if a woman wanted a 40DD bra and there was not one in stock , anything close was sold as same .


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1