Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:27 PM
Admiral

Default For Mike M & RD

I was wondering since you both have recently had an all inclusive land vacation did you like it more than what you thought you would, being that your both avis cruisers. I do more land vacations and was just curious as to how you thought they stacked up in your opinion.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
I was wondering since you both have recently had an all inclusive land vacation did you like it more than what you thought you would, being that your both avis cruisers. I do more land vacations and was just curious as to how you thought they stacked up in your opinion.
I'll address the AI that I went to in January. There were good things and bad things about it.

The good things was that there really were no additional charges. It was nice to know that just about anything else you wanted while at the resort was included.

It was great for rest, relaxation and sun worshiping. I will say that activities were nothing like you find on a cruise and what activities they did have were geared for a younger crowd. I played beach volleyball and did some dancing. The entertainment while somewhat fun was VERY amateur. I have seen much better high school productions.

I like a nice sized room and the suite we had at the AI was a nice size and looked nice.

The food, while plentiful, was nothing to write home about, except for the Japanese restaurant. The buffet, while plentiful, was mediocre. This is subjective because our friends thought it was FABULOUS. My wife and I had a very different take on it. My wife now has no worries about them eating her cooking again.

The cost was basically a wash. The cost we paid for a week at the AI was about the same as we would have paid for a mini-suite on a standard Caribbean cruise. The cruise only price would have been less but we usually have a few hundred dollars on our on board account so this additional charge made it a wash.

Overall I definitely prefer cruising. There are more activities; more places to see and overall better food and service.

However, if you want a fun time and enjoy having a few cocktails during the day and soaking in the sun then an AI is a good choice.

One last thing. Perhaps because there wasn't as much to do at the AI my wife seemed a little more amorous than usual. It could also be that she could have as many cocktails as she wanted. So, on second thought, maybe the AI was better.

Seriously: I will do an AI again but cruising will be my first choice for a vacation.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Ok thanks, I just wanted to hear the comparison and what your take was on it.
Get in the sandbox and bring on the cocktails, it will be just like youíre on vacation!!!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Aerogirl, I am at the moment working on my review and photos of the AI.
I hope to address all the comparison issues in the review, hope you will stay tuned!

donna