Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Admiral

Default Thursday...Cruisin' Towards the Weekend!

Morning Mates, is it just me or is this a particularly long week?
You know those weeks after a vacation when you keep saying "this time last week..." I wish I was still on that beach!

Well in reality, there is frost on the ground and we seem to be stuck at -2C.
I'm just glad we don't have any of that "slushie slurpie" stuff that Mike has been experiencing. At least the sun is out...

We played Trivia at our local pub last night, and came home with a question for all of you, but especially for Trip:
What is the name of the world's largest pearl ?(over 10 inches long).
That should keep you thinking....

Have a good one!

donna
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Admiral

Good morning RD and those to follow:

My week is the opposite RD - I fly tomorrow a.m. In control but time is going so quickly!

This is when I become a list maniac - adding things on and crossing off - nothing to do with my holiday but errands I have to finish for my family.

Well I better run.

Enjoy

Annie
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Morning all.

RD, sorry you are back to reality.

Annie, I hope you enjoy your trip.

My teen had terrible news yesterday. A friend of hers and his older brother were killed in a car (or in this case truck) crash on Tuesday night. Another friend and a girl she does not know were hurt in the crash but will be all right physically. This is the first time my teen has lost someone her own age, and she is beside herself. I feel so sorry for that one family as they lost two out of three children just like that. It's every parent's worst nightmare.

I have another day of the same old thing here: housework and taking care of my dad and the animals.

Have a good day all.
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Captain

Where did spring go? Yesterday was warm and sunny until around 4 when the skies opened up with rain, hail, wind and more wind. Lost our electric for about 4 hours while others around here are still without power. This all happened while I was with my Mom at her Dr's. appt. His office is in the basement so we didn't even know it had happened until it was over. Walked out of his office to find the wind had rearranged everything that wasn't nailed down.
The news from the Dr. was not what we expected. Her biopsy results were inconclusive. Just showing irregullar cells. Dr. is now going to send the samples to University of Michigan's lung pathology for a more intense study. He really thinks there is a very good chance that the tumor they found is cancer so he needs answers too. Now we wait another week for the new results. If they can't give us an answer I am taking Mom to another Dr. for a 2nd opionion and may do this anyway. I just have to convince her to go.
RD- the week after a vacation seems to go on forever. My last vacation was over a year ago and I still think about what we were doing on a specific day.
Annie- have a great trip.
Moraine- So sorry for your daughter. We had the same situation here about 2 months ago only the parents lost their only two children plus a cousin. It has to be hard on young folks to loose a friend so young.

Everyone have a good day, prayers continue for all in need.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Moiraine,

What an unimaginable tragedy! My heart and prayers certainly go out to the family. We've had several teenagers and/or young adults killed in our county alone in just the past several weeks. As I'm sure we all did at that age (at least I certainly did), we consider ourselves indestructible until invariably, something such as the tragedy that has befallen your child's friends occurred to someone with whom we were close. Then, reality often hits us like a brickbat.

Donna, it takes some time to get back into the old routine even though it often has to grab and drag you kicking and screaming back into reality.

Hey Mike, you can always get a couple of gallons of snow cone syrup and pour it all over the slush in your yard and invite all the neighborhood children over.

I've finally got back to a large degree of normalcy thank Heaven, following two days of very deep depression. All in all, however, I am slowly improving and will do so more rapidly when my wife's Niece from New York and my Niece Deanna finally are able to get together and go through the house culling out a lot of Fran's things. That probably won't happen until early June so for now, I just avoid opening drawers, rearranging shelves, etc.

Just another day of housework and then a meeting this afternoon so best get at it.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thursday and prayers for those on my list and a prayer for Blessings continue.

Todd
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning everyone from a warm, sunny, Texas. I can't seem to wake up this morning.

Jim received news last night that his travel to Iraq was not approved. I was thrilled, but as of this morning, his trip to the beach, without water is back on. Crazy life we have gotten ourselves in.

Jim had minor surgery yesterday, but is back at work this morning, and seems to be doing fine.

RD That is the Pearl of Allah. I always thought it was an ugly thing, but would buy many things if sold.

Not much planned for the day.

I hope all of you have a good one.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Admiral

Good morning
Well it look as if old man winter is back at least for a short while and he left a dusting of the white stuff for us.

Moiraine… How horrible, I very sorry for your daughters loss and for the family and friends of these two kids. Such scary and sad news.

RD… like the song goes”Back to life, back to reality” Sorry.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Good morning from Snowville,NY

Sorry to hear such horrible news ,Morraine .
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
Overcast,and maybe a pop of sun today, evry day under the belt is a day closer to summer

Here is a picture of the Pearl of Allah..looks like marshmallow fluff after a day tor two

Moraine,so sorry you daughter's loss, tought to experience this, at such a young age

Make it a good one .

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 24th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning from the Spring is Winter state. A sunny and balmy 9 degrees outside.

All of that Slushy stuff is now something that is more like concrete. My road is nasty. Cow paths are smoother than it is. The main roads are fine since they got a nice coating of salt and chemicals that kept them clear. Otherwise I am, once again, looking at a snow covered landscape. The doggy presents that were left over the winter and what I hadn't picked up are once again out of sight but not quite out of mind.

Last night the deer came back out into my hay field. They've been feasting out there since the previous snow melted. Last night I could read the looks on their faces as they tried to find some of the good stuff they'd been chowing on. I don't know but the looks on their faces sure seemed to say: "What the $**@!. What happened?" It is supposed to be back in the upper 40's and low 50's next week so I guess we can handle five more days of Winter.

My sister is arriving today from North Dakota. She is coming down for my BIL's birthday. Originally she was going to take over my home while we were down south looking at real estate but some problems with the real estate came up so it may be a couple more weeks before we go. At least I'll be able to have a nice visit with Sis.

Annie: Have a wonderful Holiday!!!!! Don't forget to add "Have Fun" to your list.

Moraine: I am sorry to hear about the tragedy of the teens. My heart goes out to them, their friends and family.

Luanne: Like Jim, Betty too had minor surgery. She had a "thing" removed from the bottom of her foot. It took about a half hour and she barely notices anything when she walks. It feels better the day after than it did before.

I hope everyone has a great Thursday!!!

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Moiraine, what a horrible tragedy. My heart goes out to the family and friends, and especially your teen.

Trip, the is one ugly pearl! I had no idea it was so big!

donna
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

RD, that's Bruce's side of the family.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 24th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post
What is the name of the world's largest pearl ?(over 10 inches long).
That should keep you thinking....
Hmmm...so I guess "NCL Pearl" was incorrect.

I SO hear you on the 'after cruise blues'...OMG I got back on the 7th, and these last two weeks have been DRAGGING...it would be better if spring would come (and STAY), but, like you, today we're back to "unseasonably cold" for another 10 days- or so they say. Bleh. :P
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates! It couldn't be a much nice morning here in Az. Sunshine is flooding onto my patio perch and temps here are headed to mid 70s.

Spoke with Mrs. Kuki and a friend at home, and it's still winter there, with lots of snow and temps below freezing. It has a been a long and miserable winter at home, and the perfect winter to not have been there. I do have to go back in 2 weeks, for 11 days .. and it's looking like its going to still be winter when I get home

My mother and her caregiver leave today. Sure it'll be a tough day for my mother to say goodbye to all the kids, grandkids, and great grand kids.

I've got a golf game in a couple of hours, and my only worry is which pair of shorts to wear.
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Moiraine, I am also saddened with your news. I know very well what the mother is going through. My heart and prayers go out to the family, and to your child.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Default Thursday...Cruising toward the Weekend!

Good morning. The sun is shining here as well after a rainy night.

Moraine, such a terrible thing! I, too, received sad news yesterday. I got a note from my friend, Nancy, that she has problems with pain management. She doesn't say so, but I assume that means the cancer is back. Reading between the lines, she says not to call her, so I won't, but it' very difficult not to . . .

Annie, have a good time on your vacation.

Judy
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Good Morning all!!! Been absent a couple of days as I have been insanely busy at work.

Hopefully the weather will improve but not enough to do gardening this weekend.

Had more fun fellow passengers on the way home last night. Two very high young ladies, who were as Dave Barry put it "looking like they were thrown out of brothel for dressing too slutty." They were waiting for the train to Atlantic City, whooping it up and trying to "get the party started" with the weary commuters going home and flirting and doing stripper-worthy dances for the men. Someone call 911 and three transit cops from both lines showed up. The girls quieted down without the cops saying anything and behaved the rest of the train ride. You come to expect this stuff on the Atlantic City line.

Moraine that is tough news indeed. I remember losing a classmate before graduation and how tough it was to cope. We had no "grief counselers" in those days.

Everyone have a great day!!!!

Marj and Señor Frog, San Juan, Puerto Rico

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004