Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2011, 12:54 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default is this a scam

I have been checking sites for an affordable cruise..my husband and I take some kind of cruise vacation every five years for our anniversary..last time we cruised the Hawaain Islands,,it was great..
This time we want to cruise Alaska...

A few days ago I received a card in the mail..

Carnival

You were verified and as a result of this offer your name and ticketing number have been issued ! You will receive a 8 day/7-night cruise for 2 with an outside cabin, leaving from any major port in the U.S.

Call within 48 hours, you will also receive as a bonus 2 roundtrip airfares leaving from or going to any major airport in the continental U.S.

To claim this special offer

call us right away for details
toll free 1-877-xxx-xxxx

monday-sunday 8am to 8 pm
RSVP ****

I called and set up a time in our area to hear a 90 minute sales pitch

The place is called International Travel and is holding meetings in a nearby hotel..
Does anyone comeout ahead on this offer? or is it a complete scam?
Should I keep the appointment, or turn and run?

Last edited by Mike M; April 1st, 2011 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Removed phone number
Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2011, 01:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I would put it in the recycle bin for two reasons:

1. The VAST majority of these are nothing more than timeshare, MLM or other sales pitches. You may get the cruise but you will pay all the taxes and "fees" that often come close or higher than you can get the cruise.

2. I detest timeshare and sales pitches especially when I have to sit through them.

If you want to check it out then call the number but DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY MONEY, CREDIT CARD or personal information.

I live by the "There's no free lunch" mantra.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 31st, 2011, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The Imperial Majesty is likely the ship that you would go on, to the Bahamas. This should not be compared to any cruise you have been on before..Take the card,and toss it...You and a zillion other people got this, don't give them any credit info...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 31st, 2011, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I agree with everyone else. Toss it. Also on a related subject. If you are ever in a shopping area, and they have contests to win a prize, don't sign up, or you will get these kinds of offers for months. They use your info to sale to anyone who needs a direct mail list.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 31st, 2011, 02:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to dfhawk60 Send a message via Yahoo to dfhawk60 Send a message via Skype™ to dfhawk60

i get these all the time. never called so i can not answer your question.

RCCL Navagitor of the Seas - Nov 26, 2005 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Glory - April 15, 2006 (E.Caribbean) | Carnival Victory - Aug 21, 2006 (Canada) | Carnival Glory - July 28, 2007 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Fascination - Aug 4, 2008 West Caribbean | HAL Eruodam - April 11, 2009 East Caribbean | Carnival Fredom - Aug 9, 2009 | Carnival Pride Feb 20,2011 (Bahamas) | NCL PrideOfAmerica April 16,2011 (Hawaii)
Old March 31st, 2011, 02:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I love that:

If, on the address, it states: "Or Current Resident" you know it's a scam. They don't care who bites. Those definitely go in the recycle bin.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 31st, 2011, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to dfhawk60 Send a message via Yahoo to dfhawk60 Send a message via Skype™ to dfhawk60

what ever you do...

1) "DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING"
2) "LEAVE YOUR CREDIT CARDS AT HOME (FROZEN IN ICE)

no matter how good it sounds... remember whatever they are selling was not in your plans before you spoke to them.

i do computers and i am very good at what i do. there are sales people out there that are VERY GOOD at what they do, and these will be the people you will be meeting with.

good luck... let us know how it turns out
RCCL Navagitor of the Seas - Nov 26, 2005 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Glory - April 15, 2006 (E.Caribbean) | Carnival Victory - Aug 21, 2006 (Canada) | Carnival Glory - July 28, 2007 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Fascination - Aug 4, 2008 West Caribbean | HAL Eruodam - April 11, 2009 East Caribbean | Carnival Fredom - Aug 9, 2009 | Carnival Pride Feb 20,2011 (Bahamas) | NCL PrideOfAmerica April 16,2011 (Hawaii)
Old March 31st, 2011, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I don't think its worth the paper its written on, toss it for sure.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 31st, 2011, 04:35 PM
Admiral

you can always tell them you have declared bankruptcy twice in the last 7 years or that your spouse works for the State Attorney's General Office in the consumer fraud division and see if they still want to chat with you ::

toss it and continue to look for a legitimate cruise deal
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Oh Vince,
I love that one :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 31st, 2011, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Great one ,Venice
Old April 1st, 2011, 01:06 AM
Admiral

I have received that offer as well, but I detest anything that resembles ptches for time shares, so I threw it out.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
you can always tell them you have declared bankruptcy twice in the last 7 years or that your spouse works for the State Attorney's General Office in the consumer fraud division and see if they still want to chat with you ::

toss it and continue to look for a legitimate cruise deal
Sweet

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old April 1st, 2011, 10:31 PM
Admiral

My favorite reply to types of offers , specially if on the phone

1 You have reached the Counsumer Fraud division of the RCMP

2 This the Chicago County Jail

or any other thing that comes to my mind.

The best your call is being traced and the local police will be on your
doorstep in 120 sec.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:38 PM
Admiral

A friend of mine responds with :You have reached the FBI fraud hotline
Old April 2nd, 2011, 12:32 AM
Admiral

If this is what I think it is, it's even worse than the time share rip offs. This company moves into an area and puts up a sign. If you go into their office you'll notice very little furniture and even that is cheap. No pictures, nothing on the walls, etc. They explained they hadn't "arrived" yet but the store front had been open over a month.

DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, respond to this offer in any way! DO NOT go to the "presentation."

My niece's husband, who is a VERY successful businessman (they go all over the world), took her to one of these places on a lark just to find out what the scam was. They just sat there and listened. They were hauling in money hand over fist. He couldn't believe there were even people of what I call the "Liveried Gentry" set falling for their spiel.

They didn't wait for an interview but left. He then said to his wife, "Watch this." All the spaces for customers were filled with nice cars, some expensive ones included. But behind the building, the employee cars were all old clunkers. He just looked at his wife and smiled.

His wife wanted to run back in and warn the people but he said, "If they're stupid enough to fall for something such as this, then it's past time they learned a lesson."

The place was closed two weeks later -- before any of the trips they "sold" had taken place and there was no trace of who they were or where they went!

Todd