CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Controversy surrounds RCI announcing the first Mary Jane Lounges at Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/381630-controversy-surrounds-rci-announcing-first-mary-jane-lounges-sea.html)

Kuki April 1st, 2011 11:40 AM

Controversy surrounds RCI announcing the first Mary Jane Lounges at Sea

Royal Caribbean announced today, amid much controvery, that effective by week's end, MaryJane Lounges will be opened on all ships in the fleet.

Though critics are questioning the legality of such a move, and condeming the possible consequences, Royal Carnibbean has been advised by their legal department, that allowing the sale and consumption of marijuana when the ship is in international waters, is legal, and will greatly enhance their guest experience.

Though, the experiment will be monitored closely to track the affect the opening of the Mary Jane Lounges will have on their food budgets.

Full details may be read at www.aprilfoolsday.com/rci

Trip April 1st, 2011 12:05 PM

OY OY OY you brat!

LisaK April 1st, 2011 12:11 PM

lol, good one, that would make for an interesting cruise

Queen of Oakville April 1st, 2011 12:35 PM

okay, you had me for a VERY BRIEF second!

Could you imagine? If the cigarette smokers weren't enough! [not sure who I'm offending with that statement, as I haven't seen smoking addressed here in this forum, but my comment tells you which side of the fence I'm on]

Luanne Russo April 1st, 2011 12:47 PM

Kuki, You got me too. That's a good one.

Queen, Your right, you don't see a lot of threads about smoking. Except making fun of fat people, it can be one of the most hurtful things on a cruise web site.

Manuel April 1st, 2011 01:28 PM

Good one!!!!! rofl

Of course the time will come when cruiseline some does that.

TM

CA Cruiser April 1st, 2011 02:27 PM

too funny!! I had to read it twice!! and finally caught on when I read the link...

ready2gonow April 1st, 2011 02:41 PM

Kuki, I only have 3 words for you......

YOU DOG, YOU!

Yep, I swallowed it, hook, line, and sinker, for about 10 seconds! We sail on RCI Freedom of the Seas on Jun 1, and all I could think was OMG!

ToddDH April 1st, 2011 02:46 PM

That was really cute Kuki.

As for your prediction Manuel, you'd have to remember that the ship couldn't port anywhere in this country and most others as well. I guess you'd have to catch the ship at one of the top notch resort areas of Ethiopia. rofl

Todd

Queen of Oakville April 1st, 2011 02:46 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but is "Mary Jane" known code for a marijauna lounge? When I read the title, I was thinking along the lines of Bill W and Dorothy, and though maybe this was code for something else.

CruisinK n J April 1st, 2011 03:36 PM

Controversy Surrounds RCI Announcing the First Mary Jane Lounges at Sea

Until IK read that, I had forgotten it was April Fool's Day!:p

Judy

venice April 1st, 2011 04:45 PM

Kuki..you will be hearing from Royal Caribbean's attorney's both in Arizona and Canada....you should be out of jail if they have you served consecutive sentences by March 31st 2012 :rofl:

Moiraine April 1st, 2011 05:29 PM

Queen, Mary Jane is another word for pot.

Good one Kuki.

Aerogirl April 1st, 2011 05:32 PM

I was ready to book!!!!!;)

rollerdonna April 1st, 2011 10:34 PM

Good one Kuki. I was so slow that I was going to post and ask what the heck a Mary Jane lounge was. Like "Queen" I was thinking along the lines of "Bill W" and "Friends of Dorothy"!!

donna

Lakers Fan April 1st, 2011 11:16 PM

I just booked the cruise

Kuki April 2nd, 2011 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollerdonna (Post 1363868)
Good one Kuki. I was so slow that I was going to post and ask what the heck a Mary Jane lounge was. Like "Queen" I was thinking along the lines of "Bill W" and "Friends of Dorothy"!!

donna

I guess referring to pot as Mary Jane dates me rofl

Could have called it Reefer (remember the movie Reefer Madness ? :)

Have no idea what it's referred to these days "on the street".

Aerogirl April 2nd, 2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1363877)
I just booked the cruise

I'll meet you on the balcony:D

Lakers Fan April 2nd, 2011 12:34 AM

Balcony

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerogirl (Post 1363897)
I'll meet you on the balcony:D

I'll bring Acapuco Gold

Cruznut2 April 2nd, 2011 04:50 AM

I was clueless as to what a Mary Jane Lounge was until I read the thread. Way to go Kuki, You got me for sure!

Laura

skymaster April 2nd, 2011 09:29 AM

I figured if any line was going to do that, it'd be RCI! :p Sure hope the restock their supply of "Twinkies"! :cool:

"SKY"

Manuel April 2nd, 2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddDH (Post 1363783)
That was really cute Kuki.

As for your prediction Manuel, you'd have to remember that the ship couldn't port anywhere in this country and most others as well. I guess you'd have to catch the ship at one of the top notch resort areas of Ethiopia. rofl

Todd

As time goes by and us baby boomers age there will be many changes in our laws. I am not saying they will be all for the better, but our way of living will change quite a bit.

TM

Manuel April 2nd, 2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skymaster (Post 1363942)
I figured if any line was going to do that, it'd be RCI! :p "SKY"

A few years ago I sailed on the Carnival Sensation. I can tell that in the evenings on the lido deck you could smell a lot of smoke and it wasn't from tobbacco. The young people sure were having a lot of fun on that cruise. LOL.

TM

Aerogirl April 2nd, 2011 10:47 AM

I'm more of a poptart gal myself Manuel !;)

Manuel April 2nd, 2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerogirl (Post 1363953)
I'm more of a poptart gal myself Manuel !;)

I like that! :cool: :rolleyes: :)

TM

Rev22:17 April 2nd, 2011 12:26 PM

Queen of Oakville,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1363784)
Forgive my ignorance, but is "Mary Jane" known code for a marijauna lounge?

Aye-yup! "Marijuana" is "Mary Jane" in Spanish -- or should I say that "Mary Jane" is "Marijuana" in English? *scratching head*

Norm.

venice April 2nd, 2011 12:55 PM

I'm a flower child of the 60's and I don't remember being in places where any of that stuff was smoked :rofl:

on most weekend cruises walking down the halls after 0200 am makes it smell like an MJ lounge;)

Parrot Mom April 2nd, 2011 01:21 PM

Mary jane lounges

SIGN US UP!!! Parrot Pop could possibly get a medical slip to smoke and I can make and bring the "brownies" and since I don't smoke I'll inhale.. Yes, we remember those days and that's all I'll say..Right now there is a version of HAIR playing in Boston and we remember it being banned in 1970 just before we had tickets..Yes, I'm that old.:)

Queen of Oakville April 2nd, 2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moiraine (Post 1363818)
Queen, Mary Jane is another word for pot.

Good one Kuki.

thx - I'm obviously not well-versed in the subject!

Manuel April 2nd, 2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville (Post 1363975)
thx - I'm obviously not well-versed in the subject!

If you ever visit Amsterdam, you can learn about it very quickly. :D

TM