Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2011, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Default Did Anyone Meet Or Marry Their spouse In An Interesting Or Unusual Way

Seems like I might have. I was stationed with the USAF in Germany, and my unit was located about 20 miles away from the American air base where Peggy was teaching. We first met each other at the biggest wine fest in Germany at Bad Durkheim.

Moving ahead about 12 months, we got engaged on a cog wheel train about half way up the Zugspitz, the highest mountain in Germany. My mistake was that I was too high!

We got married over Christmas in Switzerland and then drove to Spain for our honeymoon. What more can I say.
Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2011, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Yes Paul, we certainly did get married in an unusual way...

We got married on a steam train at the Railway Museum near Montreal, Que. in September of 2001. We will celebrate our 10th anniversary this year, and hope to do that on the Ship Hector in Pictou Harbour NS.

donna
Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:57 PM
Admiral

Jose and I met on my very first cruise on the Carnival Fascination in 1995. He was my waiter. We were married in 1997 in Costa Rica. Now we take cruises together!
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Admiral

I was introduced in 2000 to Marj by her Ex-Husband's former girlfriend. I don't have a wedding pic scanned but here is one from our vow renewal on the Caribbean Princess officiated by Captain Romano:

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Admiral

My Husband and I met on the Internet way about the time it was first gaining accessibility by 14k dial up... about 1995 or 1996 I think. We were both ops on an IRC chat room. We met in person in Canada for the first in 1996 in order to pull off a prank of sorts on one of our fellow chat group members.

What can I say, the rest is history. We married a year later and have been together ever since.

Our life together has been an adventure and I wouldn't change a thing.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I was my wife's boss. She actually thought that I didn't like her because her first review was not "the best" and I set up things she could do to increase her education and prioritizing of her work. She thought I was punishing her.

It was at a work party that things warmed up and the rest is history. I took a different position in the company because of the possible conflict of interest. Then, a few months later, I took a position in Alabama. I had asked her to marry me before I moved to Alabama but she turned me down. Once I made the move to Alabama she realized how much she missed me and finally consented to marry me.

That was 27 years ago and now she is the boss and she gives me reviews and tells me how to improve my performance.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Mrs. Kuki was a streetwalker, and I was a ...... oops, wrong story.

Mrs. Kuki came to my front door ( no she wasn't selling vacums, encyclopedias or WatchTower). I was having a party in my home and she came to the party with a girlfriend. She stayed to help clean up after the party.

She was such a great cleaner I proposed 3 weeks later, and that was over 31 years ago.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default v

I was a roller skating enthusis. I was at a roller rink and skated the 1st sesion. I was leaving and incoming was my friend from College. With him was a very beautiful young girl. So I was enthused and turned around and put my skates back on to stake in the 2nd session. I skated with this beautiful girl til closing time. I made arrangements for other meets.

about 11 months later she and I went to a wedding of one of our friends. She and I conversed and decided this may be the thing for us. It was a few days later, Jan 3, 1941 to be exact. We went back to the same chapel and were married. Come this Jan 3 we will have been lovers for 70 years.

Til this day Helen is the most beautiful and loving wife.

More could be said but you all get the picture.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Admiral

The year was 1972 and I drove a 1967 Chevelle. DH sold auto parts and I was blonde! It was a match made in heaven!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2gonow View Post
The year was 1972 and I drove a 1967 Chevelle. DH sold auto parts and I was blonde! It was a match made in heaven!
When I met you and Don on the Oasis, I could see that you two were a wonderful happy couple.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old April 4th, 2011, 12:12 PM
First Mate

I took a girlfriend with me to a family wedding. She "met" this guy and dated him for a few years. Even to the point of his asking her to marry him, but it was not to be! After they broke up, he asked me out and the rest is history. That was nearly 30 odd years ago. I guess he asked the wrong girl out at the first wedding where we met!
Old April 4th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Admiral

I was a relative newcomer to Washington in that turbulent, world-changing year of 1968. In September a friend from college visited and we went to a bar to have a beer and catch up. We were seated at a table with three very attractive women. I asked the one who I found especially fetching where she worked (always an important bar question in DC). She told me she worked for the Bureau of Public Roads. Undeterred, I got her phone number and a few days later called her to make a lunch date. When I asked her where I should pick her up she told me to see the guard at the 18th Street entrance of the Executive Office Building. I thought this was strange, because the EOB is next door to the White House, and is really an extension of White House-type offices.

The guard checked my ID, checked his list, gave me a badge on a chain to wear around my neck and said, "You're to go directly to the Vice President's Office." Now, you'll have to forgive me for this, but you must understand that I was thinking Bureau of Public Roads here. . .so I said, "Vice President of what?"

He frowned and slowly pointed to an ornate stairway, which I hurriedly ascended. At the top was a massive door with the seal of the VP above it, and Terry standing there waiting for me.

She took me in, showed me around, invited me to sit at Humphrey's desk and put my feet up (he was on the road campaigning for President at that time). And off we went to lunch.

Now, I figured that this would be our first and last date, because I thought sure the guard would inform her of my idiotic question downstairs. So I felt I had nothing to lose by asking her what all the nonsense about the Bureau of Public Roads was about. She said it wasn't really a lie. Seems that in those days the VP actually had no budget for a staff, other than the few who worked for him in his Constitutional capacity as President of the Senate. His actual VP staff was actually made up of slots "on loan" from the various executive departments. So Terry really was payrolled out of the Bureau of Public Roads.

She said she used that ruse regularly with people she'd meet for the first time, because she had grown tired of all the hateful things many would say when she told them she worked for Vice President Humphrey. This was at the height of Vietnam, of course, and although HHH disagreed down to his very soul with LBJ about the war, Johnson had threatened to sabatoge his Presidential bid if he broke with him publicly. So the anti-war people tarred Humphrey with the same brush as Johnson, and it probably cost him the election that November. Instead, we got Nixon. Enough said.

Anyway, while Hubert didn't win, I certainly did. 43 years later, Terry and I are still having a ball.
Old April 4th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Admiral

The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I both worked for the same computer company, she in New York, and I in Tampa. We both got assigned to a class being taught in San Francisco, where we learned a lot, and had a meaningful relationship. After returning to our respective homes, we dated, long distance, for several months, but the phone bills, and the Eastern Airlines bills were prohibitive. We decided it'd make a lot more sense to get married, so that's what we did,,,,,25 years ago. Eastern Airlines went out of business very shortly after our marriage!

"SKY"
Old April 4th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Great Stories.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 4th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Back in 1964 I was a member of a softball team .One night the opposing teams's catcher was injured in the warmups . Rather than have them forfeit the game the manager of my team suggested that one of our players catch for both teams and would not bat at all .That was accepted and I was designated to be the catcher .
One of the guys on my team said his girlfriend was coming to watch the game .She brought a friend -the future Mrs.Henry43 .Her friend watched the entire game but was very puzzled to see the same guy catch for both teams but she uttered not a word.
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Admiral

Rob and I met in September of 1970. I was working in Washington, D.C. and he was living in the same housing complex as me, briefly, taking a course prior to being shipped overseas for the Navy. I went to buy The Washington Post one morning and saw him there waiting to buy a paper, also. I left the machine open and said "take one". We started to talk and the rest is history!
Old April 5th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Admiral

We met through friends, sort of.

We met accidentally at a friend's party. Many of my friends new him. Many of his friends knew me. Oddly enough, no one ever thought to introduce us.

We accidentally met at a friends' party ~ we've been together for 13 years, married for over 10. Friends were surprised when we started dating, many said, "gee, I never would have expected you to hit it off with him".

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 5th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I was living in Germany. It was 1981. My dad had just died, and my marriage was a nightmare. The Army sent a soldier out to the house to see if all was okay, because my ex was showing signs of not doing the right thing.

That soldier reported back that I was not being treated right. The Commander offered to ship me home, but I had a good job, and only had another 9 months in country, plus I believed in my marriage.

The soldier was asigned to be there for me. We became friends.

The soldier broke his neck in an accident, and because he was so far away from his family, I was asked to travel to the hospital to be with him during surgery. The hospital personal kept calling me Mrs. Russo, and I kept telling them that I was not, but a friend. After awhile, I just answered by that name.

Two months before we were due to come back to the states, we, myself, my ex, and Jim and many others went on a USO sponsered trip to Italy. One night I came back to our room and discovered my ex in bed with someone else. Jim found me crying in the hallway. He suggested that since I didn't have a room to go to, and going to his was improper, that we should go up on the roof, and watch the sun come up.

It was there that he told me that he was in love with me. I didn't tell him so, but I realized I also had deep feelings for him.

Three months after arriving back to the states, (I was at my moms, and he was stationed in Califorina) he invited me to meet him in Idaho for the New Year. I had not seen my ex since he left the plane in the arms of a flight attendent.

At the end of my long weekend stay in Idaho, Jim asked me to marry him. I came back to Atlanta, got a friend at work who had just passed the bar to do the divorce for 75 dollars and breakfast.

I married Jim 28 days later in a church in Idaho, with his family, and my mom.

That was 27 years ago on the 26th of this month. I spent 7 years in hell, so I could grow up, and then God sent me an Angel, and it has been Heaven every since.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 8th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Familiar Face

Oooh. I want to play!

I met my husband when he was stationed at the Navy base not far from where I live. We met at a dance club. We'd been watching each other on the scene for a while but he was too shy to approach me. Finally I approached him, and we hit it off instantly.

The interesting part comes when you find out that his parents met at a USO dance when his dad was in the Army, and that his grandparents met at a famous dance club in LA when his granddad was in the Marines.

So I figure my son will have to join the Air Force and go dancing a lot so he can meet his bride. =)
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Admiral

I meet my hubby in August of 1983 at the Golden Nugget restaurant here in Chicago. He was a rookie cop I was a waitress :eek:. After he and his partner left the restaurant he waited an hour and called me and asked me to dinner. I said yes and that following week we went out. He picked his favorite Italian restaurant a place named Porretta’s much to my surprise. This was my ex boyfriend of three years family restaurant. We had broken up the month before. I had to tell him and needless to say he picked another restaurant. We dated on and off and then married september 22, 1984.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014

Last edited by Aerogirl; April 8th, 2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old April 9th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
I meet my hubby in August of 1983 at the Golden Nugget restaurant here in Chicago.
Is that the Golden Nugget on the North side near the Sheridan Road S Curve and el stop?

We used to hang out there when I was in college in the 60s.
Old April 9th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I moved to Orlando in 1979 to attend UCF. I found a roommate for an off campus apartment through the school housing office. She and I decided that the guys living behind us (shared kitchen wall) must have a bunch of people living in their apt. since we heard so many different kinds of music coming through the wall.
6 weeks later my roommates car died in the parking lot and Dave helped her push it to a parking spot. It was his birthday and a girl had made him a chocolate cake so he brought some of it over to share with my roommate and that's when we met. We also found out that night that it was only Dave living in the apt....he enjoys a wide range of music. We'll celebrate 29 years of marriage this August. I think we need a cruise to celebrate 30 next year!
Angela Z.
Old April 9th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
Is that the Golden Nugget on the North side near the Sheridan Road S Curve and el stop?

We used to hang out there when I was in college in the 60s.
This one was at Diversey & Pulaski. They were all over the northside back in the day.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014