CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Help for the Japanese or rather, the lack thereof from some (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/381717-help-japanese-rather-lack-thereof-some.html)

ToddDH April 5th, 2011 06:54 AM

Help for the Japanese or rather, the lack thereof from some

Many countries are sending aid to Japan, even little Israel.

According to CNN they're completely set up:

● The Israeli clinic includes orthopedics, surgical and intensive care units as well as a delivery room and pharmacy.
●The delegation includes 50 doctors.
● They brought with them:
1. 32 tons of equipment
2. 18 tons of humanitarian aid---10,000 coats, 6,000 gloves and 150 portable toilets.

My question is therefore, where is all the aid from the countries that are raking in billions and billions of oil profits (Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, etc.)?

Todd

rollerdonna April 5th, 2011 07:19 AM

They are too busy hiking our oil prices and making us pay at the pumps....

donna

Lakers Fan April 5th, 2011 09:37 AM

Israel

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddDH (Post 1364471)
Many countries are sending aid to Japan, even little Israel.

According to CNN they're completely set up:

● The Israeli clinic includes orthopedics, surgical and intensive care units as well as a delivery room and pharmacy.
●The delegation includes 50 doctors.
● They brought with them:
1. 32 tons of equipment
2. 18 tons of humanitarian aid---10,000 coats, 6,000 gloves and 150 portable toilets.

My question is therefore, where is all the aid from the countries that are raking in billions and billions of oil profits (Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, etc.)?

Todd

Israel has given more humanitarian aid to nations than anyone can imagine and they do it without publicity .

venice April 5th, 2011 11:21 AM

I don't think the countries that you mentioned (Saudi Arabia, Venezula etc) have any sort of legacy in terms of humanitarian efforts ..I don't recall reading anything regarding those countries when it came to providing support to New Orleans because of Hurricane Katrina (I will say other Arab nations provided alot of support to the City)..as usual, individuals from all around the world always give but not always their countries

Americans give in times of great national disasters regardless of the politics of the foreign governments and regardless of race,creed,religion or color..the "Sister City' concept has worked well with Japan (did you know that Japan has more Sister Cities in the United States then any other Country)..the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival has had a long standing relationship with the jazz musicians who are from Japan, so I'm sure at this year's Festival there will be an extra effort to raise awareness

belgique April 8th, 2011 12:25 AM

As soon as the earthquake and tsunami hit, I was eager to donate to the aid efforts. Then I remembered that I had done just that after the quake in Haiti a year ago January. I also remembered that I recently heard that nothing has changed in Haiti - there is still disease, suffering, homelessness, pain.

Where did all that U.S. aid money go? I realize that Haiti is not as sound as Japan, but the people are just as worthy of my donations, but my question is: How do I REALLY get the money to the right people in order to help?

venice April 8th, 2011 07:15 AM

that's always been a concern..in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, it appeared that the best way was to work thru your local Church that had an affilation with a Church in New Orleans

with Japan, that approach might be alittle harder..you might go online and find out which cities in the United States has a sister city in Japan (i.e. I know for a fact Omaha Nebraska is one) and contact that US city and ask how you can help

BlueCanary April 8th, 2011 07:02 PM

I second the church idea. That's what we did. Our church had a nationwide collection a couple of weeks ago for the church in Japan to help with whatever relief is needed.

And really, Japan is WAY different than Haiti. I'm confident that the funds will in fact be used in ways that are truly needed there.

fun2cruiz April 8th, 2011 07:15 PM

"charity starts at home"..... we have enough problems in the US to be concerned over.

debp April 9th, 2011 08:33 AM

Saudi Arabia's idea of charity is to give to the Madrassas in Pakistan.

jennc April 9th, 2011 10:39 PM

Re the comment "charity begins at home" Hardly the right attitude to have. If all countries thought like that what state would the world be in?

Pretty selfish if you ask me!!!!!