Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Default 1960's music

The 60's produced some of the greatest musical groups of all times . One of the greatest of that decade was a group that originated in New Jersey .They had 4 huge hits and several others as well.
They are still recording today but unfortunately 3 of the original members passed away.

I have decided to have a current photo of the group as my latest avatar in tribute to a guy I knew who was one of the founding members .

If you are or were into 60's music you should know the group.
Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Admiral

The Four Tops
Old April 13th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Admiral

Frankie Vallie and the 4 Seasons?
Even if I get the question wrong, I'm still a big fan of 60's music.
they just don't make 'em like that anymore...

donna
Old April 13th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Default Venice

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
The Four Tops
Venice ,wow ,you are so close .
Old April 13th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Default Not Frankie Valli

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post
Frankie Vallie and the 4 Seasons?
Even if I get the question wrong, I'm still a big fan of 60's music.
they just don't make 'em like that anymore...

donna

So very true ,Donna . They don't make them like that anymore .

On the last Saturday in June every year there is an outdoor Doo Wop /50's-60's concert outdoors with big name groups in our area .We try to get there when health allows us .Its always a great evening.

This group is not The Four Seasons but in my opinion a lot better .

Old April 13th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Admiral

I want to say The Four Lads but I think they were more of a 50's group. Anyway, the avatar is too small for me to make out the faces (that's my excuse anyway).

Todd
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Not the Four Lads ,good guess ,Todd.
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Admiral

The Delrays ?
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Default Venice

Quote:
The Delrays ?

You have mail
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Did you see (can't for the life of me remember the name of it - Oh What a Night?). I must be getting old and losing my memory. DH took me to see it for my birthday last year, it was amazing! [I'm talking about the musical based on the four seasons]

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Admiral

It came to me just after I hit post- JERSEY BOYS.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Henry..saw them in Baton Rouge at an oldies show..you are right..they are soooooooooooooooooo good..You do know know they are on the Malt Shop Memories Cruise in October on the Carnival Inspiration out of Tampa, with (among others), Little Anthony and the Imperials, Dianne Reeves (former lead singer of the Shirlelles), Chubby Checker, Lou Christies, The Beach Boys etc......your wife "pm" me to ask me, to suggest to you that if you booked the Malt Shop Memories Cruise for her Mother's Day surprise present, you might have more memories then just the music while on the cruise

Queen..great show about the 4 Seasons..if you ever catch reruns of The Sopranos, Frankie Valli had a recurring cameo appearance for about 6 shows, which is fitting since they had alleged connectionsthat might have helped their career during the 50's-60's
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Venice, would you believe I didn't watch the Sopranos? I caught the odd episode here or there, but didnt' want to get "hooked" mid-run. I keep waitnig to catch it form the beginning on bravo or A&E or something.

Saw Vinny Pastore this week on Shark Tank.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Queen..I catch it every weekday on A&E at 2 pm (after reruns of The Closer at 1 pm on TNT)...it fun to watch it evolve from the 1st season..I much prefer the first 3 seasons then the last 2 seasons
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Admiral

The Four Bottoms? Sorry, I got things wrong, that's a current group.:eek::eek::eek:
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Admiral

Default Venice

Quote:
Henry..saw them in Baton Rouge at an oldies show..you are right..they are soooooooooooooooooo good..You do know know they are on the Malt Shop Memories Cruise in October on the Carnival Inspiration out of Tampa, with (among others), Little Anthony and the Imperials, Dianne Reeves (former lead singer of the Shirlelles), Chubby Checker, Lou Christies, The Beach Boys etc......your wife "pm" me to ask me, to suggest to you that if you booked the Malt Shop Memories Cruise for her Mother's Day surprise present, you might have more memories then just the music while on the cruise

Queen..great show about the 4 Seasons..if you ever catch reruns of The Sopranos, Frankie Valli had a recurring cameo appearance for about 6 shows, which is fitting since they had alleged connectionsthat might have helped their career during the 50's-60's
Anthony Gourdine and I grew up in the same area along with another guy who had a little bit of a career by the name of Richard P.Havens .
I try and get to at least one concert every year of both of them.
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Admiral

Default Jersey Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
It came to me just after I hit post- JERSEY BOYS.

I saw the show on Broadway with the original cast ,it was fantastic .
Old April 14th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Admiral

I've met Richie Havens..at Woodstock he was asked by the promoter to stretch out his stage time while Canned Heat was making it's way to the stage, so that's how his now famous song 'Freedom" version came about..
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Admiral

I loved so much of the 60's music (never went for the British Invasion, though) including Pop and Country.

Although one album I coveted which interestingly enough, I never owned, was a Live recording of the late Levi Stubb and The Four Tops recorded at the Upper Deck of the Rooster Tail in Detroit. Wonder if the place is even still there and if so, what it's like today.

Todd
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Admiral

Default 50's-60's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
I loved so much of the 60's music (never went for the British Invasion, though) including Pop and Country.

Although one album I coveted which interestingly enough, I never owned, was a Live recording of the late Levi Stubb and The Four Tops recorded at the Upper Deck of the Rooster Tail in Detroit. Wonder if the place is even still there and if so, what it's like today.

Todd
In the early 50's my father had a friend who was the Maitre'D at a hotel in the Catskills .A young singer from Astoria,NY was appearing there one week and he recorded a song at the hotel .Somehow my fathers friend was able to get the demo record and gave it to my father to hold for him until he came back to Brooklyn after the summer .For whatever reason he never asked for it and I am now in possession of Tony Bennett's demo of Rags To Riches.
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Henry..feel free to put in your will that I receive the demo..Two years ago the official jazz festival poster of Louis Prima (celebrating his 100th birthday) was painted by Tony Bennett..I purchased one of the 250 limited edition glycees and Mr. Bennett was nice enough to sign it for me at JazzFest..I custom framed it..my grandson will receive this cherished piece in his inheritance

Todd..I don't think it's there anymore but I'll ask my friend who lives in Detroit to check..I'll check at the local record store that has old albums to see if I can find you a copy..I once sang an impromptu concert with the Four Tops in the jetway on a flight from Oakland to Chicago at midnight...they asked me to go on the road with thembut I had to say no because my son was small..do you know when their lead singer Levi Stubbs died, to honor them, they have never replaced him (so thus the 3 Tops)
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Default Venice

Quote:
Henry..feel free to put in your will that I receive the demo..Two years ago the official jazz festival poster of Louis Prima (celebrating his 100th birthday) was painted by Tony Bennett..I purchased one of the 250 limited edition glycees and Mr. Bennett was nice enough to sign it for me at JazzFest..I custom framed it..my grandson will receive this cherished piece in his inheritance

Todd..I don't think it's there anymore but I'll ask my friend who lives in Detroit to check..I'll check at the local record store that has old albums to see if I can find you a copy..I once sang an impromptu concert with the Four Tops in the jetway on a flight from Oakland to Chicago at midnight...they asked me to go on the road with thembut I had to say no because my son was small..do you know when their lead singer Levi Stubbs died, to honor them, they have never replaced him (so thus the 3 Tops)

I am also in possession of a program from the Sunday November 17,1929 jazz concert featuring Jazzlip Richardson and Edith Wilson .My father went to the concert and had the program souveneir put into plastic many years later .
Old April 14th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Speaking of programs, I have (from my late Aunt) an entire program (it's like a brochure) from the Cotton Club. You think the girls in Vegas are scantily clad? Think again and this was in the mid thirties!

Todd
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Todd..my Mom danced in the chorus line at the Cotton Club in the late 30's for a couple of months when Cab Calloway's band was the house band...I have a picture of her from that era and now understand why my Dad took a shining to her..I am currently reading a book about Cab Calloway and find it fascinating..if you can, make a copy of the program and send it to me and when I go see her this summer, I'll give it to her..
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Admiral

My father saw Cab Calloway perform in probably one of his earliest live show appearances . I used to have a program but I can't recall what happened to it.