Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default soap opera's got the axe!

When I was pregnant with my 1st child,and after, in 1970..All My Children
made my day!

'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' Canceled by ABC | PopEater.com

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Admiral

how many times was Erica married thru out the series?
Old April 14th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Admiral

OY!

The character has been married numerous times to multiple men. Seven of her marriages to six different men have been valid while four of her other marriages are invalid. Generally, the number of times Erica has been married is named as ten, though the total of her valid and invalid marriages, plus her 1991 vow renewal with Adam Chandler, would come up to twelve. Along with the marriages, the character is also given a number of other love interests. The motivation behind the multiple romances stems from the character's need to fill the void her father left when he abandoned her.

Old April 14th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Admiral

A whole lot of men got into soaps as well. When I was in the military it seems the entire day room was filled when the soaps were on. I never did but I shall say that I saw enough to make me think they had some of the best acting I've seen anywhere. But I used to crack up in the old days at the end of a scene (read Commercial Break) and the organ would play that two note ominous "to be continued." Any number of famous actors got their start in soap operas. I even remember when the shows were actually sponsored by detergents! I guess I'm really dating myself there, aren't I?

I think they're just a victim of our change in society. Most women today work while in the fifties most didn't. I swear, the little old ladies at the senior citizen complex I used to manage would go to extremes to watch their soaps, cancelling appointments, not making appointments for those couple or three hours in the afternoon with one with a terminal illness saying (and probably truly meaning), "I've lived my life and I know it's over but I better not be called until after the soaps!"

Todd
Old April 14th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Admiral

When I was a kid..my Mom and I watched two...they were fifteen minutes back then...4-4:30 The Secret Storm, and,The Edge of NIght.

Old April 14th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Trip

I uhhhhh had forgotten that they originally were fifteen minutes and I'm older than are you. Well, at least you know to what to look forward to happening!

Todd
Old April 14th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Todd..lol I Married Joan,and, A Date With an Angel [Betty White] were also 15 minutes..

Old April 14th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Admiral

I remember coming home for lunch in first grade and AMC was on. Tara and Phil were always waiting at the bus stop or at least I think it was the bus stop.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Admiral

Default I'm into Soaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
A whole lot of men got into soaps as well. When I was in the military it seems the entire day room was filled when the soaps were on. I never did but I shall say that I saw enough to make me think they had some of the best acting I've seen anywhere. But I used to crack up in the old days at the end of a scene (read Commercial Break) and the organ would play that two note ominous "to be continued." Any number of famous actors got their start in soap operas. I even remember when the shows were actually sponsored by detergents! I guess I'm really dating myself there, aren't I?

I think they're just a victim of our change in society. Most women today work while in the fifties most didn't. I swear, the little old ladies at the senior citizen complex I used to manage would go to extremes to watch their soaps, cancelling appointments, not making appointments for those couple or three hours in the afternoon with one with a terminal illness saying (and probably truly meaning), "I've lived my life and I know it's over but I better not be called until after the soaps!"

Todd
I watched General Hospital for over 20 years .I've been watching Y&R for the past 6 years . Two of my friends appeared on One Life To Live and one worked behind the camera .
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
OY!

The character has been married numerous times to multiple men. Seven of her marriages to six different men have been valid while four of her other marriages are invalid. Generally, the number of times Erica has been married is named as ten, though the total of her valid and invalid marriages, plus her 1991 vow renewal with Adam Chandler, would come up to twelve. Along with the marriages, the character is also given a number of other love interests. The motivation behind the multiple romances stems from the character's need to fill the void her father left when he abandoned her.

This REALLY scares me that you know this.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Admiral

Thank Wiki...I should have given them credit..I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday

Old April 15th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
When I was pregnant with my 1st child,and after, in 1970..All My Children
made my day!

'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' Canceled by ABC | PopEater.com
My co worker was very upset about this yesterday. She is a huge Susan Lucci fan.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 15th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Admiral

I use to watch AMC and thought Angie (Debbie Morgan) was soooooooooooooooooooooooooo hot and Jesse was such the bad boy..why are nice girls attracted to bad boys ?
Old April 15th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Not always Venice .We have Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphreys
Old April 15th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Admiral

The soaps may be losing popularity, but mainly they're just too expensive. You need writers, actors, lots of sets, organ music, all that stuff. The shows that will replace them will need one set, far fewer people on camera, much less in the way of writing and producing. In short, they're going on the cheap because that's what TV does as the pie gets cut into smaller and smaller slices.

Ironically, not many people have noticed that Discovery has just announced that they will be putting up a network targeted directly and specifically to men who make in excess of $150,000 a year. I thought it was a joke when I first heard it, but it's true. The shows will apparently be about fast cars, fast women and fast money. Meanwhile, Oprah's struggling joint venture with Discovery will be infused with new life, since Oprah has just announced new programming for same, the centerpiece of which is (drum roll please) edited down versions of all her shows from the past 25 years. You know, the show that's going off the air because she wants to go off the air. That one. I guess she's sorta like Mr. Rogers, she never gets old no matter how many times you rerun the same stuff.

Many years ago while I was doing something in LA, I called a dear college pal who was in charge of CBS network promos on the west coast. We set up a night to have dinner and I met her at her office at CBS Television City in Hollywood. Before we left for the restaurant we took a walk through the stages. A soap was taping and we stopped to watch for a few minutes. On the way out I picked up a copy of the next day's call sheet from the box near the door. It was pretty standard stuff, episode number, call times, actors required, etc. What was funny was the title of the show listed across the top: "The Hung and the Breastless." I laughed, and my pal Trudy said, "Over at NBC they've got call sheets that say "Lays of our Wives."
Old April 15th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Admiral

My 2 friends who have acted on OLTL , a cousin who was on The Bold and The Beautiful and a friend who was behind the scenes at OLTL have all told me similiar stories about cast and crew coming up with silly names for the show .

In the late 80's I wrote a satire of prime time soaps .The title was based on the silly names .
Old April 15th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Admiral

It does bring a tear to my eye, but I've seen many soaps bite the dust, The Doctors, Search for Tomorrow, Ryan's Hope, Santa Barbara, Passions, Generations, Another World, Texas, Loving.

It was very sad for me when Texas ended, and after that Another world. It was one of my favourites.

As far back as I can remember (mid-70s), I used to watch Y&R at lunch time with my mom and my nana. During summers, I'd get to watch Days of Our lives and Another world. When many of the characters moved to As The World Turns, I watched.

I've lost interest in Days over the years, espcially when the writing reached the ridiculus (the parallel univers storyline where everyone was killed and living in alternate Salem). I started watching again when Alice Horton died, but then quickly gave up.

I have watched Y&R as long as I can remember. Even though the writing is inane and I FF through the entire hour in about 10 minutes; I still watch! i've heard that the cast of Y&R and B&B had to take big pay cuts to stay on the air.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Default Y&R plots inane ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
It does bring a tear to my eye, but I've seen many soaps bite the dust, The Doctors, Search for Tomorrow, Ryan's Hope, Santa Barbara, Passions, Generations, Another World, Texas, Loving.

It was very sad for me when Texas ended, and after that Another world. It was one of my favourites.

As far back as I can remember (mid-70s), I used to watch Y&R at lunch time with my mom and my nana. During summers, I'd get to watch Days of Our lives and Another world. When many of the characters moved to As The World Turns, I watched.

I've lost interest in Days over the years, espcially when the writing reached the ridiculus (the parallel univers storyline where everyone was killed and living in alternate Salem). I started watching again when Alice Horton died, but then quickly gave up.

I have watched Y&R as long as I can remember. Even though the writing is inane and I FF through the entire hour in about 10 minutes; I still watch! i've heard that the cast of Y&R and B&B had to take big pay cuts to stay on the air.
Isn't it the norm to want to marry a guy who stole your child ,was responsible for a mis-carriage ,framed his father for murder ?
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Admiral

The thing that irks me on soaps is when a character has an exact double ,same tattoos ,same moles ,etc.
Old April 16th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Isn't it the norm to want to marry a guy who stole your child ,was responsible for a mis-carriage ,framed his father for murder ?
Henry ~ that whole story line is beyond stupid, which is one of the reason's I FF through Y&R. I know you like Sharon Case ~ but I can't separate her from Sharon Newman. I just want to SMACK HER through the television. What did you think of her "dye" job. Great disguise Sharon ~ you look so different no one will recognize you now!!!!!!! And I guess the next few weeks, we'll see Sharon living on a farm and falling in love with the farmer, huh? They've run out false deaths for Victor, so now it's Sharon's turn.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 16th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Admiral

I remember when Victor Newman held his young wife in the basement against her will and at the same time was courting a very young Niki
Old April 16th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Admiral

Yes! And don't forget her lover Michael Scott. I remember Victor serving up a dead rat. That was probably 30 years ago, and the memory is ingrained in my mind. I think the actress who played Julia is now a writer or producer for the show.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 16th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Default Sharon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
Henry ~ that whole story line is beyond stupid, which is one of the reason's I FF through Y&R. I know you like Sharon Case ~ but I can't separate her from Sharon Newman. I just want to SMACK HER through the television. What did you think of her "dye" job. Great disguise Sharon ~ you look so different no one will recognize you now!!!!!!! And I guess the next few weeks, we'll see Sharon living on a farm and falling in love with the farmer, huh? They've run out false deaths for Victor, so now it's Sharon's turn.

Sharon will meet and fall in love with a local doctor . In my opinion Sharon and Nick belong together . However it appears that Nick may be going back to Phyllis.

I would like to see more lines for Zapato .
Old April 16th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Admiral

I'm not a soap fan by any stretch, but I do understand why people would be upset to see their "stories" taken off TV. I used to go home for lunch when I was in elementary school and Mother was always watching As the World Turns.

The article I read said that people want more "options" for TV viewing. IMHO, it's just that the TV "beards" don't want to pay "soap" actors. They can show "real life chat" stuff cheaply... .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 16th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Admiral

When I was in school the soaps were on radio .
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
When I was in school the soaps were on radio .
On Wednesday we were at a talk given by Charles Osgood (of CBS Sunday Morning), and he made the point that virtually every single format that's used on TV now had its start on radio. He argued that TV is almost entirely a derivative medium.

Those of you old enough to remember will realize that he's right. It's hard to think of a TV genre that is entirely unique to the medium. It was all done on radio before TV came along in 1946.
Old April 17th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Admiral

I vividly remember sitting in the living room on weekday nights listenting to great radio shows .