CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Camera Shortage From Japan (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/381933-camera-shortage-japan.html)

venice April 16th, 2011 12:18 AM

Camera Shortage From Japan

I was at my favorite camera shop today and my regular salesperson was telling me that due to the situation in Japan, the major camera companies (Nikon, Canon, Sony etc) lost allmost all of their production capabilites and have not shipped to the USA in a month and have no idea when they will resume production..which means that there is a shortage of high end cameras and lens..and they will not be on sale for any time in the near future

my son for Christmas had given me a gift card for my Nikon D3100 with a 55-300VR lens which if I had purchased it today would have cost me $450 more then when I purchased them last January

so if there are any CruiseMates that were thinking about purchasing a high end camera for their cruise this summer/fall , you might want to do it now and not risk the chance that it will be there later and be prepared to pay the list price (if you can find it)..I learned a long time ago never purchase a high end camera when you are on a cruise in St. Thomas because if something goes wrong, the warrenty may not cover it..my camera shop has been in business since 1930 and they take great pride in their customer service and teaching their customers how to use their camera correctly to take great photos

Lakers Fan April 16th, 2011 08:54 AM

Its not only the camera industry but also automobile .

ToddDH April 16th, 2011 12:32 PM

I love the local Toyota ads. They make it sound as if they're overloaded with vehicles and are all but giving them away.

Wonder what they'll be saying around the middle of July, probably something along the lines of, "Get 'em while they last, they're goin' faster'n biscuits and gravy!"

Todd

HawkeyeFLA April 16th, 2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddDH (Post 1366371)
I love the local Toyota ads. They make it sound as if they're overloaded with vehicles and are all but giving them away.

Wonder what they'll be saying around the middle of July, probably something along the lines of, "Get 'em while they last, they're goin' faster'n biscuits and gravy!"

Todd

Mmmm, biscuits and gravy. Dangit, now I may have to do some cooking today.

Trip April 16th, 2011 06:29 PM

Venice, another area with a major shortage, clothing manufacturing...My boss, last week, tried to buy cotton material,and guess what? $$$$$$$$$$! Due to the floods in Australia, and, elsewhere, the prices have skyrocketed, and, the availability is practically nil, especially for white cotton...