Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2011, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Waiter, check please!

I was wondering for those of you who have traveled to Italy..most of our ports will be there...will the wait staff look askance, if we ask for separate checks..Most probably Elaine and I will be paying differently for our lunches in port.the thought of trying to figure out euros etc, if one of us paid,and the other paid back, in cash..our heads would explode

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2011, 07:05 PM
Admiral

You might have a bit of a problem; then again, none at all. Most time they have a little machine where they can create new receipts for each of you; especially if you are each putting on a separate credit card.

I have found easier just to split down the middle; of course, this doesn't work if only one of you is drinking. You can try "eyeballing" the bill figuring that it will all come out even in the end.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 21st, 2011, 10:10 PM
First Mate

Say at first you want seperate check.In Florence just beside the Santa Croce church a fine little resto very nice and affordable.Have a nice cruise.Waiting for your review.
MTL (Lisa)
Old April 22nd, 2011, 08:22 AM
Admiral

Just tell 'em to put the bill on "Snookies" tab! Seriously, I doubt that you'll have a problem with getting separate bills.

"SKY"
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Trip.. thought Kuki and Paul were picking up the tab for both of you I think if you ask your waiter prior to your ordering what it's establishment's policy is, then based upon their response you can adjust with no problem..ps. Italy has some of the greatest wine in the world..you may want to contact your local wine shop prior to leaving and ask for some suggestions to try while you are..
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Venice I thought I might carry some Thunderbird,or a fine Ripple in a thermos around, no?

Thanks everyone..

Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Admiral

don't need a thermo..fine Ripple now comes in a 6 pack perfect to pack in your suitcase ::
Old April 22nd, 2011, 05:33 PM
Admiral

By far the easiest way is to take turns paying for meals. It usually comes out in the wash.

If you can't do that, it's been easy to ask European servers to split the bill down the middle by handing them two credit cards for at least the last, oh, 25 years or so. Paying by credit card is by far the easiest way to go.

But if you can't do that either, the math shouldn't make your head explode. The Euro is a decimal currency just like the dollar (and even the pound these days), meaning 100 of the things to the right of the decimal point (often a comma over there) equal one of the things to the left of the decimal point.

Our early adventures in England as far back as the early 70s before the pound went decimal were a lot more fun. What was it. . .20 pence to the shilling, 12 shillings to the pound? Something like that. But we got used to it. Even then you could use credit cards for a lot of things.

Today though, it's a snap pretty much anywhere. You'll be amazed at how civilized Europe is.

This should not be high on the worry list. You're not going to the third world.

Several years ago I was getting some cash from an ATM in Milan, across the square from LaScala. Stuck in the card and it asked me to select a language so I chose English, put in my pin, and told it how many Euros I wanted. I swear this is true: A screen came up that said "I'm-a-workin' on it." And then it coughed up the cash. I was laughing for ten minutes.

BTW, I hear you're going to Venice. You do know about the multi-day vaporetto tickets, the charms of the #1 vaporetto, and all that stuff, right?

Last edited by AR; April 22nd, 2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:11 PM
Admiral

What my friends and family do is we agree to each input same amount into a commpn fund (puggy) and pay all expenses from there.

Saves us remembering whose turn is it and separate checks. etc

After all, you are on holiday!

Annie

PS I thought that Paul was picking up all incidental expenses....hint!

Enjoy
Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:41 PM
Admiral

I appreciate all the people who are now seasoned, travelers,and can help out with questions for those who have not been..Between my traveling companion and myself, we have thought of many......to our minds, it's better be prepared for the mundane, and, let serendipity happen, and enjoy.

Ar, I think that's a good idea...She wants to pay on a cc, while I prefer to pay in euros, so that should make it much easier. The hotel, has a water taxi available right there. The hotel is close by..

Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:24 PM
Admiral

This is totally OT, but you can get a water taxi at just about any hotel in town. Some of them even have docks off the lobby. But I'm sure you've read that water taxis are excruciatingly expensive, and while you might make a case for one to or from the airport, ship or train station with your luggage, they're definitely not the way to get around town on a routine basis. The only financially practical way to do that is with daily or multi-day vap tickets.

Looking at a map it might be tempting to assume that you can walk wherever you want to, but there are two basic problems with that: 1) the city is bigger than it seems on the maps, and 2) you often need to cross the Grand Canal or the Giudecca Canal to get where you're going. Yes, there are bridges and tronchettos (gondolas that take you across the canal inexpensively), but you'll find that they're often not where you need them to be. But since the vaps criss-cross the Grand Canal and the Giudecca constantly, the ability to hop on any boat you want is very convenient and very liberating.

And, while just about any hotel will give you a "free" boat trip to Murano to see the glass works, what you get is really a high pressure sales pitch when they get you over there. But your vap tickets are good for boats to Murano (and Burano, the lace island too), where you can go on your own, wander into any glass or lace place you want without the high pressure that's applied to the groups. Plus you can stay and have a lovely lunch al fresco along the canals, go back when you want. Absolutely beautiful.

I could go on. Venice is one of our favorite places; after four or five visits we've never tired of it.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:29 PM
Admiral

Ar, we are there briefly, and, will overnight there..this is the hotel:

NH Laguna Palace, Hotel in Venice Mestre - 15% off, NH Hotels Official Site

I will be on a mission to find some beads for my jewelry design business, and hope to score some beauties..I am in the right city

Thanks for your imput...

Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Oh, well if you're going to be all the way over in Mestre, and only for one night, then all bets are off. Just get yourself to St. Marks Square, see the Doge's Palace, the church and do the shopping. Those precincts are quite compact and walking is easy.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Ar, we are there briefly, and, will overnight there..this is the hotel:

NH Laguna Palace, Hotel in Venice Mestre - 15% off, NH Hotels Official Site

I will be on a mission to find some beads for my jewelry design business, and hope to score some beauties..I am in the right city

Thanks for your imput...
Oh your in Mestre. I was going to hunt down some bead places and suggest a Venice Connected card. But you are in Mestre and not in the fish part of Venice. Murano is where you want to go for beads. If the water taxis is too expensive. Then you should be able to take the train from the Venice-Mestre Terminal to the Santa Lucia Terminal. Once there I agree with AR and I was take a vaporetto (water bus) there is a water bus stop right near the train station called Ferrovia. One of the buses is called DM for Direct Murano. That is the fastest way to get to Murano by water bus (Vaporetto). Here is some good links about the vaporetto. We stayed in the fish part not Mestre so we got the Venice Connected card and it included the Vaporetto. I hope that helps you.
Venice Vaporetto Routes - Water Buses - Venice for Visitors
Venice Vaporetto Lines and Routes - Actv - Venice for Visitors

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:32 PM
Admiral

when I hit the lottery tonight, I plan on purchasing a villa in Venice so you can stay with me..Venice at night is awesome
Old April 23rd, 2011, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Apparently that's what all the girls say.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:06 PM
Admiral

I thank everyone for sharing I just found out the forcast for Venice is rainy and cool...we will have to make the best of it, though, don't want to pack wellies.....Playing it by ear, it will have to be...