Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Default Branson MO

Has anyone ever visited Branson? We had a bonus week from our timeshare so we booked a week’s stay at Stormy Point Village in Branson for July 2012. (that’s what I call planning ahead)!

It will be our first visit and looks like a cool place. Just wondering what other thought about it.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

That area of the country has some of the most beautiful scenery you can find anywhere in the U.S.. Also, the fishing in the area is fantastic. At least it was 40 years ago. From what I've heard that most of the area is still quite beautiful.

We had family friends that bought property near Branson, on Table Rock Lake, in the late '60's. This was LONG before Branson became the attraction it is today. For a number of summers we visited them and had a wonderful time. They sold the property a few years ago for about 80 times what they paid for it. Nice investment.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 26th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Admiral

We're looking forward to a road trip and from what Iíve read it sounds very nice. I know the resort is very close to Table Rock Lake. I wish it was this summer but we already have a few trips coming up. Itís something to look forward and time sure does fly these days so it will be here before we know it! Thanks for the impute Mike.

~Robin~

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old April 26th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Admiral

In 1994 we became friends with a couple that we met on a cruise .They reside in Branson and thats so cool.
Old April 27th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Admiral

It is still very beautiful. The main drag is very congested though. Be prepared for for long, slow rides through downtown. You'll want to visit Silver Dollar City while there. There is a water park too. I've never been to that, but I think you can buy tickets for both the water park and Silver Dollar City. If you want a bit of a road trip from there, visit Eureka Springs, Arkansas while you are in the area.
Old April 27th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Talking Branson MO

Well, some years ago, a cousin planned a family reunion in Branson. I said, "What can they be thinking of?" I had heard the old story: What is the difference between Branson and Jurassic Park? ANS: One is a theme park full of old dinosaurs; the other one is a movie!

Now it is definitely true that Branson attracts a very ..... mature .... crowd. But it is an AMAZING place full of things to do! The main street, especiallly at night, is known as the world's longest parking lot. The crowds of people are overwhelming.

We went to the Andy Williams Show, with Glen Campbell as guest star. (Being in our 60's, we felt like some of the young folks there.) Tour leader after tour leader led their group in and plopped them in rows of reserved seats. The show was great.

The next night we were scheduled for Shoji Tabuchi, the violinist. I could not believe I had to listen to a violin for 2 hours. Wrong! It was one of the most amazing shows I have ever seen, from the giant Japanese drums to the clowns flying through the air! Then, at intermission, everybody has to see the rest rooms. The Men's room has a billiard table in it, complete with a white gloved attendant to rack the balls up. (OK, no jokes on THAT one ...) The Lady's room is one of the major attractions of Branson, apparently with solid gold fixtures.

You will find Branson to be a very ....... INTERESTING ....... place to go!

But ... it's not a cruise, is it?

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Old April 27th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Familiar Face

We have a vacation lake house on Table Rock Lake and we need to go soon to check on it due to the 12" of rain they've had since last Thursday. The lake is above the flood level and they are releasing water out of the dam. So this summer looks like we'll be cleaning up the shoreline of all the debris left behind. That being said, Table Rock Lake is great to be on. It's clear (you can see your feet dangling in the water & minnows swimming under you), it's warm in the summer - what else would a lake rat want (besides being on a cruise)???

Branson is full of people; mature, young, families & etc. Highway 76 is the main drag of the city and at certain times of the day it will be bumper to bumper. It's a great time to roll down your windows and take in all the attractions. You'll see car tags from all over the USA. And everyone is nice and s l o w paced. So be prepared for nice people and slow traffic.

Some of the attractions you might consider are: Baldknabbers Jamboree Show (singing/comedy), Presley's Country Jubilee (singing/comedy), Dixie Stampeed (dinner/live horse show/singing/comedy), Silver Dollar City (amusement park/country crafting/food), Shepherd of the Hills (outdoor drama and ZIP LINE-WHEEE...yes we did it and I'd do it again) & etc. Check out the various websites.

Also, make sure you visit downtown in Old Branson. This was the town before all of the attractions & etc. Make sure you visit "Dick's 5 & 10" store. It's the smallest, oldest dime store with everything imaginable you could want. And stop in to eat at Farmhouse Restaurant. They make the best ice tea and various meals. For dessert...you must buy an apple dumpling! YUMMY!

Talking about food, it's hit or miss in the area. Just look for a lot of cars in the parking lot and you can't go wrong. There's a wonderful ice cream store across the street from Andy Williams' Moonriver Theater. Stop there for a treat after your show.

There are a couple of outlet malls and a newer shopping experience called Branson Landing. It's in old Branson, along Lake Taneycomo (it's more of a river and named after TANEY COunty MO missouri - Taney is the name of the county seat and it's in Missouri - get it? Taneycomo - cleaver isn't it??). It's actually the water from the bottom of Table Rock Lake going through the dam - it's very cold and has trout (from what I hear).

If you do have time, (like it was mentioned previously) try to visit Eureka Springs, AR. It's about 30 -45 min. from Branson and a quite interesting little community. A lot of neat places built on the sides of hills with curvy/narrow streets. Eat lunch on the balcony of the Basin Hotel, overlooking the streets of Eureka Springs. Visit the Crescent Hotel.....(a number of the rooms are haunted!!).

You'll have a good time no matter what you choose to do. Enjoy!!
Old April 27th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Admiral

We have good friends who live in Kimberling City on the lake. Absolutely beautiful country for walking boating, other recreation.

Downtown Branson is kind of nice and picturesque. The strip can only be classified as a dump. Jaw-droppingly ugly. Everyone points to the Andy Williams place as the class act of the neighborhood, and from the outside that seems to be true. Of course, whether it's ol' Andy performing there or a Disney audio-animatron seems to be open to some question. I hear Donald Trump is investigating that.

Our friends enjoy driving visitors through that awful strip--bumper-to-bumper traffic and all--just to see them (us) recoil in horror. Our pal Nan spent her earlier years in professional musical comedy (the original national tour of "How to Succeed" with Robert Morse, among others). She just gets crosseyed with laughter telling us about some of the shows. On the other hand, to each his own. But she's not the only pro who's told me that most of it is pretty third-rate. Then again, most of the musical revues on ships are pretty third-rate too, and people seem to like them.

But there's no getting around the beauty of the general area. The Ozarks are really, really nice. For those who care, there's a church literally on every block, and Jim Baaker and his latest wife have opened up a new establishment which seems to combine prayer, a restaurant, a cable TV show, and some sort of real estate development "project." It sort of looks like the front of a Holiday Inn Express, and I'm not really sure what's going on there.

And the above note about visiting Eureka Springs, Arkansas is right on. This is a beautiful little town, and very welcoming, where there's an obvious and very friendly gay community, lots of good food, and very lovely things to see. A few months ago we were there on a Sunday for brunch. Afterward we were walking through downtown and came upon an establishment called Scarlett's, which is a local, non-chain version of Victoria's Secret. Plenty of scantily-clad mannequins in the windows. We wanted to go in and look around, but we couldn't. The sign on the door said, "Scarlett's observes the Lord's Sabbath." We have a great photo, but posting photos here is a pain. Take my word for it. We laughed till our sides hurt. But it's a lovely welcoming little town which we found FAR more enjoyable than Branson.

On the negative side, despite all the professed Christianity, there is a great deal of overt hate in those parts, expressed most commonly on those tacky lighted-from behind signs with movable letters that you see at motels, convenience stores and the like throughout the south. Just ignorant, hateful, and patently un-Christian statements of intolerance. We also passed a couple "tableaus" set up in open fields along the road with things like wrecked cars bearing signs like, "This is what we do to. . ." Also "likenesses" of the president and others hanging from trees. This part of the Ozarks is distressing, but we concentrate on the beautiful stuff when we visit.

Last edited by AR; April 27th, 2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old April 27th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Admiral

AR,

Have you ever been to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg and if so, what is your opinion relative to Branson. I've never been to Branson.

Todd
Old April 27th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Admiral

No doubt we'll see the strip but we're more for hiking, boating and seeing the Ozarks and the beautiful sites of nature. Looking forward to being by the pool or kicked back sipping ice tea from our porch. No hurry to be anywhere or do anything. All of our vacations are go, go, go, so this will be nice for a change.

Have never been before but your the first person who's called it a dump, can't believe that many people would go back to visit it if it was a dump. Guess its all in the eye of the beholder.

~Robin~

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old April 27th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Like Mike I went there in the early 1960's as a kid. My uncle used to spend a portion of each summer at the lake. Nothing there at that time, I bet he wishes he bought some property. Very pretty area.

I guess the makeshift signs of expression are a hillbillies form of Facebook.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old April 27th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Admiral

I have been all over East Tennessee. I'm not going o say there aren't any. But I have never personally ever observed that I can remember, any signs as you have described around here AR, whether it be those (and I agree tacky) lighted signs with moveable letters nor especially any tablaeus whatsoever of those which you describe.

Although a very conservative part of the country and yes, smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt, such trash would never be tolerated in this county and I think I'm safe in saying, most other East Tennessee counties. Yeah, we have our redneck "trash" just as Washington and New York have their "trash." But they're certainly not even a significant minority and the only people they impress are themselves.

Todd
Old April 27th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
I have been all over East Tennessee. I'm not going o say there aren't any. But I have never personally ever observed that I can remember, any signs as you have described around here AR, whether it be those (and I agree tacky) lighted signs with moveable letters nor especially any tablaeus whatsoever of those which you describe.

Although a very conservative part of the country and yes, smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt, such trash would never be tolerated in this county and I think I'm safe in saying, most other East Tennessee counties. Yeah, we have our redneck "trash" just as Washington and New York have their "trash." But they're certainly not even a significant minority and the only people they impress are themselves.

Todd
Glad to hear it. I believe in the First Amendment with all my soul, and sometimes it's necessary to pay a personal price for that belief. When I experience stuff like that I often literally weep.

I'm afraid my only Tennessee adventures have been in the vicinity of Nashville, where I've been pleased to visit a number of times. We were there just last summer and had a great time--again with a friend who lives there. He's a transplanted Broadway musical director who has been recording down there for years (best studios, best musicians, best engineers, according to him), and all of his friends there finally convinced him to pull up stakes on W44th St. in Manhattan and come to Nashville to live. Having been a guest at some of his recording sessions I can certainly understand why he loves working there. And having sat in bars and restaurants (and in our friend's house) with some of the finest studio session players in this or any other country, I can certainly see why he feels at home there.
Old April 27th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Admiral

AR,

Speaking of Nashville, if you run into the CMA Award winner, The Band Perry, tell them Todd says "Thank you!" once again and that they're one hell of a credit not only to their profession but also to their hometown! You'll find them hanging out with Tim McGraw for a couple of months. Oh, if only all entertainers had their sense of values and ethics.

TDH
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Aerogirl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Has anyone ever visited Branson? We had a bonus week from our timeshare so we booked a weekís stay at Stormy Point Village in Branson for July 2012. (thatís what I call planning ahead)!

It will be our first visit and looks like a cool place. Just wondering what other thought about it.
Is there a cruise that calls there? It appears to be a bit far inland...

*miffed*

Norm.