Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Admiral

Default Regional Theater

Who beside me loves regional theater ? Two of my favorites are The Barn Theater in NJ and HB Studios in Manhattan.

I did some acting in college with a guy who made theater his career and was the house Director at the Barn Theater for many years .
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I used to go to regional theaters a lot when I was in NH. I went to the New London Barn Playhouse every summer. The Lakes Region Playhouse was always fun too.That has since closed up. The Winnipesaukee Playhouse is a year round playhouse in Laconia, NH. The Newfound Regional High School has a spring play every year. Not just the students but many talented people from the local area. Always fun and always outstanding. They just did Wizard of Oz a few weeks ago. I have heard rave reviews about that.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 28th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Admiral

I grew up in northern New Jersey and from the ninth grade on I absolutely haunted Broadway (the first show I saw there was "Becket" with two starving actors called Laurence Olivier and Anthony Quinn. Tough not to get hooked after seeing that.

But even in those days I enjoyed regional theater too, especially the renowned Paper Mill Playhouse in New Jersey, where I once saw Helen Hayes.

College in Chicago found me at the Goodman from time to time. And for the last 45 years in Washington we've been patrons of the abundance of regional theater in these parts. Those who don't know this area tend to think of Washington theater as a backwater where Broadway shows try out or go to die. But I contend that the Kennedy Center and the old-line National and Warner theaters are in many ways the least interesting parts of the local theater scene. Where it's really happening is at our many, many regionals, which make Washington a true rival of New York for those who know where to look.

Arena Stage on Washington's Southwest waterfront is the granddaddy of the movement here, and we've been subscribers for some 40 years. Among the many feathers in its cap is the premiere production of "The Great White Hope" with an unsung journeyman actor called James Earl Jones. This season marks the opening of Arena's stunning renovation of its two theaters and the addition of a third, all encased in a new and beautful "shell" building designed by Canadian architect Bing Thom. The renovation cost $135 million and we are so proud of it--and especially of the caliber of work that is and always has been done there. When the Tony people started giving awards to regional theater, Arena was the very first winner.

Then there's Signature Theater right here in Arlington. It won the regional Tony last year. After 15 years of brilliant work in an abandoned tire recapping warehouse, they entered into a very creative public/nonprofit partnership with our county. The county was about to build a new public library branch as one of the anchors for the redevelopment of the Shirlington neighborhood, and Signature needed a proper theater. So they did a deal to put the theater (actually two stages) on the second floor above the library. Brilliant. And the work they do is often jaw-dropping.

We also support Ford's Theatre, the iconic playhouse to which a carriage drove the president along the cobblestone streets one night at the end of the Civil War to see a light comedy. The evening did not go well. Today, Ford's is another kind of hybrid: it's actually a National Park, and during the day tourists visit both the theater and the adjacent museum to learn about Lincoln and what happened that night. Park Service guides do wonderful talks and it's a very popular place. At night, it becomes a proper regional theater that does outstanding work. Because we support their efforts we're sometimes invited to receptions, dress rehearsals, etc. It's always moving to see the flag-draped box above stage left, which is always empty, but which somehow is full of hope. Hope that tolerance, decency and equality will eventually prevail. These days, we seem farther than ever from that ideal, but it seems to me that we've got to keep the faith, just as Abraham did.

We've also got a fabulous Shakespeare Theatre, along with other very good regionals with names like The Studio, The Wooly Mammoth, and on and on. In this town the theater listings take up more space than the movie listings in the paper. New York? Well, it's very nice up there, but we've got some of the best theater in the country right in our own back yard. What a joy.

I know I'm bragging, but there you are. On top of all that, we've got the Washington Capitals (and not much else when it comes to sports). But hockey is its own brand of theater.
Old April 28th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Default Regionjal Theater

We love it! For years now, Keith and I have held season tickets for the South Coast Repertory Theater, one of the top five in the country. Two more plays will complete this season. We've already signed up for the next one.

Also, in the town we live in, there's a small local theater where they do mostly musicals.

Judy
Old April 28th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Default James Earl Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
I grew up in northern New Jersey and from the ninth grade on I absolutely haunted Broadway (the first show I saw there was "Becket" with two starving actors called Laurence Olivier and Anthony Quinn. Tough not to get hooked after seeing that.

But even in those days I enjoyed regional theater too, especially the renowned Paper Mill Playhouse in New Jersey, where I once saw Helen Hayes.

College in Chicago found me at the Goodman from time to time. And for the last 45 years in Washington we've been patrons of the abundance of regional theater in these parts. Those who don't know this area tend to think of Washington theater as a backwater where Broadway shows try out or go to die. But I contend that the Kennedy Center and the old-line National and Warner theaters are in many ways the least interesting parts of the local theater scene. Where it's really happening is at our many, many regionals, which make Washington a true rival of New York for those who know where to look.

Arena Stage on Washington's Southwest waterfront is the granddaddy of the movement here, and we've been subscribers for some 40 years. Among the many feathers in its cap is the premiere production of "The Great White Hope" with an unsung journeyman actor called James Earl Jones. This season marks the opening of Arena's stunning renovation of its two theaters and the addition of a third, all encased in a new and beautful "shell" building designed by Canadian architect Bing Thom. The renovation cost $135 million and we are so proud of it--and especially of the caliber of work that is and always has been done there. When the Tony people started giving awards to regional theater, Arena was the very first winner.

Then there's Signature Theater right here in Arlington. It won the regional Tony last year. After 15 years of brilliant work in an abandoned tire recapping warehouse, they entered into a very creative public/nonprofit partnership with our county. The county was about to build a new public library branch as one of the anchors for the redevelopment of the Shirlington neighborhood, and Signature needed a proper theater. So they did a deal to put the theater (actually two stages) on the second floor above the library. Brilliant. And the work they do is often jaw-dropping.

We also support Ford's Theatre, the iconic playhouse to which a carriage drove the president along the cobblestone streets one night at the end of the Civil War to see a light comedy. The evening did not go well. Today, Ford's is another kind of hybrid: it's actually a National Park, and during the day tourists visit both the theater and the adjacent museum to learn about Lincoln and what happened that night. Park Service guides do wonderful talks and it's a very popular place. At night, it becomes a proper regional theater that does outstanding work. Because we support their efforts we're sometimes invited to receptions, dress rehearsals, etc. It's always moving to see the flag-draped box above stage left, which is always empty, but which somehow is full of hope. Hope that tolerance, decency and equality will eventually prevail. These days, we seem farther than ever from that ideal, but it seems to me that we've got to keep the faith, just as Abraham did.

We've also got a fabulous Shakespeare Theatre, along with other very good regionals with names like The Studio, The Wooly Mammoth, and on and on. In this town the theater listings take up more space than the movie listings in the paper. New York? Well, it's very nice up there, but we've got some of the best theater in the country right in our own back yard. What a joy.

I know I'm bragging, but there you are. On top of all that, we've got the Washington Capitals (and not much else when it comes to sports). But hockey is its own brand of theater.
In 1966 ,my wife and I attended a summer in the park production of a play that featured a young actor named James Earl Jones .
To say his performance was fantastic would be an understatement .We've been "hooked" on the theater ever since .
One of my closest friends is a NY based stage actress .She is primarily in regional theater and is a member of a theater group in Ossning ,NY that we frequent as well .
Another friend ,a film and theater actor is a member of a theatrical group:The Heights Players ,in Brooklyn,NY.
My wife and I try to see as many plays as possible in NY and whenever we are on a land vacation we make sure to attend at least one theatrical presentation .
Old April 28th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Admiral

We'll do "Shakespeare in the Park" every odd year, and try to make it to Stratford, more to offer support for the arts than anything.

I much prefer the broadway-style shows. We're pretty lucky in Toronto that most shows make it here.

I just saw Priscilla a few months ago and it was FABULOUS. It might have taken over as the number one musical I've seen.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Default Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
We'll do "Shakespeare in the Park" every odd year, and try to make it to Stratford, more to offer support for the arts than anything.

I much prefer the broadway-style shows. We're pretty lucky in Toronto that most shows make it here.

I just saw Priscilla a few months ago and it was FABULOUS. It might have taken over as the number one musical I've seen.

We saw some wonderful shows in Toronto in the 70's
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Bette Midler,and some of the cast of Pricilla, were on the View this week. They were fabulous!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 29th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Admiral

A question for the Mass. residents :

In the early 70's there was a great theater in Cambridge that showed old movies from the 1930's for $5 admission .I can't recall the name of the theater ,anyone know ?
Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post

Well I love broadway style ones and also british west end ones...Startford is a pretty good experience too...I saw Priscilla aswell but just 2 weeks ago in London, it's a good musical not my fav but still a must see. Ive seen Dreamboats and Petticoats in Melbourne last year and heard its now playing in West end with different cast I loved it so much I might go and see it again
Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ummmm, me! I double majored in Theatre and Broadcasting in college and starred in our musicals, then interned at a regional theatre in Peterborough, NH. I am in Montgomery, AL, so we have the Alabama Shakespeare Festival here, which does some great stuff (not all Shakespeare), but we try to see theatre whenever we travel. Last fall, we saw Chess at the Signature in Arlington (loved that theatre). We try to visit New York whenever we can, and I go crazy there. Saw Billy Elliot and Jersey Boys in London this spring. (Know that isn't regional, but I see whatever I can) My husband is military, and could possibly end up stationed in Cape Cod next year. One of the main reasons I would be excited about it is all the regional theatre in the are. So glad there are other theatre fans on here!
Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:30 PM
Admiral

I guess I got started with my love of theatre when I saw" South Pacific" with Mary Martin and "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" with Carol Channing in New York on the same weekend. I only wish I had kept the Playbills from those shows.

Then, when I was stationed with the USAF in Washington DC, I was able to work as an usher on weekends at the Shubert theatre where I saw a great many off Broadway productions. One of them was "The Boy Friend", which had just come over from London and starred an 18 year old actress named Julie Andrews.

Peggy and I have seen many travelling Broadway shows here in San Antonio and attend many little theatre productions.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:44 PM
Admiral

Default Playbills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
I guess I got started with my love of theatre when I saw" South Pacific" with Mary Martin and "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" with Carol Channing in New York on the same weekend. I only wish I had kept the Playbills from those shows.

Then, when I was stationed with the USAF in Washington DC, I was able to work as an usher on weekends at the Shubert theatre where I saw a great many off Broadway productions. One of them was "The Boy Friend", which had just come over from London and starred an 18 year old actress named Julie Andrews.

Peggy and I have seen many travelling Broadway shows here in San Antonio and attend many little theatre productions.
I have every playbill of every theatrical production I've ever attended .
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Admiral

We used to have two excellent dinner theaters here in the Tampa area, but sadly, they are both gone! The little town of Plant City, Florida has an excellent community theater, that put on some really good plays, and the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I have attended a number of times. Many years ago, when I worked at NYPD, I saw many GREAT Broadway plays, but I too, never even thought about keeping the playbills! As a matter of fact, I was standing outside the theater, at the intermission of "Chicago", when the word came down that "Elvis" had died!

"SKY"
Old August 4th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Admiral

I also have programs -similiar to playbills from every theater we've been to all over North America as well as programs from Radio City Music Hall .
Old August 4th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Glad you enjoyed our Signature Theatre, KayAnnie. We enjoyed Chess as well. As I said in my earlier post, we're very proud of the good work they do, and of the creative spirit that led to building those stages above the new public library. Their Tony Award was well deserved.

It is now quite clear that funding for the arts will be pretty much left to those of us who appreciate them. When your nonprofit regional theatre, or orchestra, or opera, or museum asks for your help, I hope you'll be able to pitch in. We're going to need these things to help get us through the bad times that are starting now.
Old August 4th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Admiral

In 1969 a cousin of mine wrote a play that was presented at an Off Broaway theater . My wife and I love the theatrical medium . We are supporters of the HB Studios in Manhattan.