Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Default Tornado hits Greene County TN, At Least Six Dead

While tornadoes are relatively rare in Greene County here in upper East Tennessee, especially close to the mountains, we nevertheless suffered disaster with multiple deaths out in an area known as Camp Creek, about seven or eight miles from where I live.

As of right now, there are six known dead and I don't know how many injured. A presumed tornado touched down in that area around 11 PM.
There are also more dead in the Tri-Cities area of Johnson City and Bristol Tennessee/VA (the state line runs down the middle of State Street in Bristo) and up into Glade Springs, VA. The last count I heard of the dead in the above described area was 16 with six being out in Camp Creek.

Very early this morning, our Animal Adoption Center staff responded to a call from the local Emergency Management Director, to help rescue released and trapped pets and other animals. We have in place disaster plans for just such an emergency not to mention the finest personnel one could find anywhere. We have already requested emergency funding from both the ASPCA and the HSUS for additional cages.

Our Animal Adoption Center Manager and our Vet immediately responded while the rest of our staff came in and prepared for incoming injured and rescued pets. It's my understanding that some were trapped in destroyed homes and outbuildings.

I know of one couple who were killed who lived in a mobile home (among the most dangerous places to be in a tornado is a mobile or manufactured home). Her husband was found in the mobile home dead and she was blown fifty feet from the home. Although alive when found, she died shortly thereafter.

If you live in such a structure and find yourself facing such a situation GET OUT OF THE HOME and either take cover in a more substantial structure or failing that, lie down in a culvert, ditch or low area and cover your head with your hands but regardless, but GET OUT OF THE MOBILE OR MANUFACTURED HOME if the manufactured home doesn't have a basement and most don't). For those who don't know, a "manufactured home" is built similarly to a mobile home but is permanently affixed, usually to a concrete slab. As an example, remember all those killed in The Villages in Florida by a tornado a couple of years ago? Those are mostly manufactured homes.

I just checked last night's radar and it appears that I am very lucky indeed. The tornado that struck Camp Creek probably went right over the top of my neighborhood if not more specifically, my own home. I say that because just before 11:00 pm we had some huge wind gusts and for a minute or two rather large hail. It ended quickly.

The devastation in the Camp Creek area is mind boggling and stretches for Ian extensive distance and about a quarter of a mile wide, maybe longer and wider, I just don't have the details as yet.

If you wish to donate for the victims of this disaster be they in Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee or wherever, may I strongly recommend the Salvation Army. Why the Salvation Army? Because during a disaster every single dime you donate goes directly to disater relief. They DO NOT take one cent for their own overhead costs during a disaster. Secondly they remain until not just the rescue and recovery period is over but until the those who have lost their homes, etc., actually find permanent housing and the community is restored...no matter how long it takes! As importantly, they also offer continuous emotional and spiritual support at a time when it is most needed. Even one of their major centers in Alabama in which a large number of people were sheltering from the storm was unroofed yet not one person was hurt. Nevertheless, they aren't even thinking that much about their own loss but are devoting all their resources helping others.

In closing, I of course ask for your prayers for all of those effected by this unmitigated disaster regardless of where they live.

Thank you and God Bless!

Todd
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Todd..thanks for the posting..my son is stationed with the Air Force in Montgomery AL , his family is safe but they took damage also

I concur about the Salvation Army..they did wonders for us in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

good luck
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Prayers go out to so many who are suffering from this unbelievable weather system! My sister is in Murfreesboro,and she posted yesterday how frightening it was....May you all stay out of harms way..xo

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 28th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Admiral

My heart goes out to those affected. We had four deaths in the county from the same sysyem a few days ago. I will be so glad when the system moves off land.
Old April 28th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Prayers going out to everyone effected.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Admiral

Thanks for updating us Todd, and glad to hear you are OK.
I'm sure your animal rescue people will do a wonderful job also.

I live in a "manufactured" home, known as "mini homes" in these parts.
In last fall's hurricane it shook like the dickens; I hope I never have to experience it in a tornado!

donna
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Todd, Was glad to see that you were okay.

My heart also goes out to those who have lost much.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Admiral

I concurr with everything posted here