Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 1st, 2011, 09:43 AM
Admiral

Default White House Correspondents Dinner C-Span

for the last 4 years the only time I watch C-Span for more then 2 minutes is for this annual dinner..this year with Donald Trump in the audience it had my full attention last night

I always marvel at the fact that we live in a Country where at least for one night in a safe setting, and for a good cause (journalism scholarships) political humor (instead of bitter partisian personal attacks) is displayed..but it also gives the POTUS a chance to use deprecating self humor as a safety value towards his critics (and lower his blood pressure)..it's also amazing that we live in a society where a comedian can chide our leader right in front of him (don't think they have this type of dinner in Libya : and still have his head on the next day..and I understand that it's the hardest room in the world to work for a comic (Seth Harley (sp) head write SNL)

it was very clear by his body language and his flushing red face, Trump was not in the spirit of the evening (he can dish it out but can't take it)..it will be interesting to watch Fox News, (Bill O'Reily was in the audience), listen to Rush L. on the radio and watch how Trump responds to last night to see if they maintain the spirit of the event..it will also be interesting to watch The John Stewart show this week for his take on both the dinner, Trump and the Royal wedding and also to hear the feedback about Seth's performance

perhaps our good friend AR (among others) can share with us some perspective having the benefit of living and working in that enviroment..humor is a very powerful political weapon in our political toolkit..C-Span will probably play it every hour for the next week, so if you have a moment you might want to view the event
Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2011, 10:16 AM
Admiral

My feeling is that DT will be spewing a lot of venom the rest of this year .
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
..and I understand that it's the hardest room in the world to work for a comic (Seth Harley (sp) head write SNL)
Actually, you did misspell Seth Harley's last name. The correct spelling is "Meyers."

Other than that, you're on the money with everything you say as far as I can see. I really was surprised that Trump showed up, and then appeared absolutely miffed that he was the butt of half the jokes of the evening, by both Meyers and the president. Seems to me that it's the height of both hubris and misperception to paint a big, red bulls-eye on one's own butt and expect that nobody will take shots at it.

Laugher is a critical element in Washington's culture, although I know it seems incongruous to many who don't hang out in these parts. Back as far as the early 70's, Terry and I would often stop by the Marquee Lounge at the Shoreham Hotel after an evening out to catch Mark Russell's late set. In those days, for the price of a drink, we could spend the better part of an hour laughing at one of the best political humorists ever. During Watergate, you had to get to the lounge early if you wanted a seat. One night, Russell walked onstage with the White House Transcripts under his arm, solemnly opened the book, and said "Tonight's reading. . ." That's all he had to do. Brought the house down.

Some people have heard the satirical songs of The Capitol Steps. Originally, they were a group of Congressional staffers who started writing and singing topical and bitingly funny stuff. Now they're an institution.

And you don't have to be onstage to be funny in this little backwater of a town. One night many years ago we were at a testimonial dinner in the very same ballroom at the Washington Hilton where last night's correspondents' dinner was held. Henry Kissinger was at the next table over, and at one point a waiter went up to Kissinger with the evening's program booklet and asked for an autograph. Naturally, Henry kindly applied his scrawl to the cover. As the waiter left smiling, some wag at another nearby table yelled over, "Hey Henry, you realize you just signed the tab for the whole night. . ." Har, har, har.

If you're a satirist, there's plenty to laugh at here. Sometimes it turns out to be gallows humor, but we need it. I agree that last night's dinner is certainly worth a look. In addition to C-SPAN, it's already all over the net.
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I usually watch every year, and agree that it can be good entertainment.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 1st, 2011, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

It was very funny, I enjoyed every moment. Roflmbo!

Laueaj
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 1st, 2011, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
My feeling is that DT will be spewing a lot of venom the rest of this year .
I wonder if that thing on his head is poisonous. It could be an Alien life form.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old May 1st, 2011, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Its more likely that DT is from another planet .
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

AR said it all perfectly. Being a fan of Mark Russell and the Capitol Steps for years, you cannot find smarter satire anywhere. And yes, Trump is just a bad sport - not good in politics these days.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Greatest satirists ever:
Mort Sahl
Howard Stern
Lenny Bruce
Old May 3rd, 2011, 05:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Its more likely that DT is from another planet .
Even if he is not we should send him to another planet.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Check out the night’s most memorable zingers below.

• "Matt Damon said he was disappointed in my performance. Well Matt, I just saw 'The Adjustment Bureau,' so right back at ya, buddy." – Barack Obama

• [After showing a clip of ‘The Lion King’] "I want to make this clear to the Fox News table: That was a joke. That was not my real birth video. That was a children's cartoon. Call Disney if you don’t believe me. They have the original long-form version." – Barack Obama

• Jon Hamm looks the way every Republican thinks they look. Zach Galifianakis is also here. Zack Galifianakis looks the way every Republican thinks every Democrat looks. – Seth Meyers

• Donald Trump has been saying he will run for president as a Republican – which is surprising since I just assumed he would be running as a joke. – Seth Meyers

• “[Trump has] said he’s got a great relationship with ‘the blacks.’ Unless the Blacks are a family of white people, I bet he’s mistaken." – Seth Meyers

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Default The Donald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Even if he is not we should send him to another planet.

TM
As I've posted before ,I knew him when he was 4 years old and had all his own hair .I would post the picture I have of the 2 of us but he was wearing a hat .Perhaps it was because he knew that someday people would question his hair .

DT is currently in the process of building hotels in 2 beach communities in my area .The hotels are being built on vacant lots that have been an eyesore for many years .