Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:18 PM
Admiral

Default Fresh Salad Bars in Public Schools

the Produce Association of America along with several other groups have raised enough $$$$ to provide free salad bars to 24 area New Orleans public elementary schools in an effort to promote long term healthy eating habits...even before Hurricane Katrina there were very few supermarkets in the City that sold fresh affordable vegetables/fruits and since Katrina there are none..also, there has been a grassroots efforts in the local neighborhood communities to have neighborhood gardens that in exchange for helping maintain the gardens, residents have access to vegetables and fruits.I grew up in rural upstate New York and during the summer we ate everything that was grown in the garden and then canned alot of vegetables in the dirt cellar for winter

it dawned on me after reading the article, that it sounds good and is very well meaning, but probably will be a major failure...the main reason is what normal kid likes vegetables less alone eat salads..they would rather eat fast (very unhealthy) foods at McDonalds or Churches Chicken which is right across the street from most elementary schools ..I think efforts shoud be targeted at the parents to change their preparation & eating habits..on a cruise, I try to be one of the first one's in line for the lunch buffet salad bar on the lido deck before it gets picked over..but I am also surprise to see my fellow cruisers have 1 very small salad plate and then 2 or 3 huge plates filled with ribs etc and 4 plates of dessert, and this is for lunch

my son and his wife have a little window sill garden for my grandson that he gets to pick out, plant ,nourish , harvest and prepare vegetables that he has grown ..best meal I ever had was a radish sandwich made with love by my grandson

would this type of program work in your childrens/grandchildrens school ? do you set a good example for your kids by preparing alot of produce?
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Unfortunately we live in a society that promotes unhealthy eating . Check out any fast food restaurant between the hours of 12-2 .Check out any fast foot eatery is close proximity to schools .
Old May 3rd, 2011, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Venice, I think it is an idea whose time has come. I see what is offered in the school cafeteria and in the kids' lunch boxes and it is abysmal. No wonder our kids are so unfit!

donna
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Admiral

i think its a great idea, but to make it really work, education needs to go along with it.It would be great if the kids could grow their own little window box garden
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Admiral

I have long advocated that schools should have a salad bar, something along the line of those presented in many restaurants albeit not as extravagant. They are however, usually at the time of year schools are in session (at least depending upon the climate) can be very expensive indeed. Even today locally even at Wal-Mart, tomatoes are $2.49 a pound and that would have to be considered. But even if such an thing meant a rise in local school taxes, I think the cost when spread over a large number of taxpayers, would be very reasonable, especially if people understand the importance of fresh raw vegetables.

Because my dietary habits have gone down the drain since Fran died, I make it a point to go by Ryans (a buffet chain in the US (Golden Corral is ten time better but we don't have one here) ecause it has, even if everything else is horrible, one of the best salad bars one can imagine.

Finally, I truly believe that in a short time, they would become quite popular indeed.

Todd
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Admiral

what 6 year old kid do any of us know that likes beets ::

I think it's a great start, but we have to do a generational educational campaign to change the mind set..it's very interesting that there is a community base enviromental group that works with Brad Pitt's non profit group that is building eco-friendly affordable houses in the lower 9th ward of New Orleans, that build (for free), garden boxes so low income senior citizens can start small gardens..the unique aspect is that they work with a youth group that matches up young folks with senior citizens to help maintain the gardens..it's a really good 1st step...then you see where some of the fast food chains flood the neighborhood with coupons ..that's just not right