Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2011, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Default What do you drive?

I'm kind of in the market for a new car and need to start looking to see what I should get. My interest are:
1. Ford Fusion
2. Ford Taurus
3. Ford Escape
4. Chevy Impala
5. Chevy Equinox
6. Hyundai Sonata
Does anyone drive any of these? I've always been a full size car person but with gas prices so high I'm willing to change.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 05:23 PM
Admiral

I do not drive .I gave up driving in 2003 .Instead I walk as much as possible or take public transportation . Its a lot healthier to walk .
Old May 2nd, 2011, 05:43 PM
Admiral

my cruising buddy happens to work for Ford in Detroit and she says the quality of Ford's products have improved greatly which was validated by Consumer Reports annual edition..she even has me thinking about buying a new Mustang convertable..she also indicated that the Lincoln MLK is a great value so you might look at them also..my best friend's brother-in-law is a Chevy car salemen and he says the Chevy Malibu is a great value..so go figure..but I think their point is the new cars put out by the Big 3 are just as competitive as the foreign competition..I was just in Montgomery AL visiting my son and Hyundi has it's US manufacturing plant there..they have been rated very highly by Consumer Reports also, and I think look pretty darn sexy

I am getting ready to buy a new car in August and right now I'm leaning towards the VW CC..full disclosure, I own a 2003 VW beetle and love it and have a deposit for the next generation Beetle coming out in late October..

car buying is as much impulse as practical , so find a vehicle that appeals to your eyes and then do research to justify your selection
Old May 2nd, 2011, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
I'm kind of in the market for a new car and need to start looking to see what I should get. My interest are:
1. Ford Fusion
2. Ford Taurus
3. Ford Escape
4. Chevy Impala
5. Chevy Equinox
6. Hyundai Sonata
Does anyone drive any of these? I've always been a full size car person but with gas prices so high I'm willing to change.
I'm pretty sure you won't be too interested in what I am driving since it is a big Toyota Tundra 4x4 double cab, but I am also thinking about finding something more fuel efficient for daily driving. The hubby is always car shopping even though it will likely be at least another year before he buys, and fuel economy will be at the top of his shopping list. Some of the cars that have appealed to us are the Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata, the new Subaru Impreza AWD (this one is at the top of my list because of its economy and the AWD) the Volkswagon diesel sedans

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 2nd, 2011, 06:38 PM
Admiral

We have two Honda Accords, and a Toyota Tundra, for the HEAVY jobs. Out of the auto's you've listed, I'd probably go with one of the Fords. Yes,,I used to work for Ford many, many years ago, but I have to agree that the quality of Ford has gone WAY up in the last few years, while some of the others are questionable,,,IMO. The new Taurus is quite a looker, and I've heard nothing but good stuff about the new Fusion as well. Yep,,,If I were going to buy one of the cars on your list, It'd most likely be one of the Fords.

"SKY"
Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I drive my wife crazy.

I don't really drive much anymore. I may take the Suburban up to the mailbox on some days but that's about it.

We have a Chevy Suburban and a Toyota Camry. The Camry is only three years old and has 88,000 miles on it. My wife's commute to work is over 60 miles/day plus it's the vehicle we use for most day to day transportation. It averages about 32 mpg. I have no complaints about it. The Suburban is one year older and has 1/2 the miles on it. We use it when we need to carry more people, pull the boat, hunting and fishing trips or when the winter weather is rough. Where I live four wheel drive is a must in the winter.

My brother is a sales rep for a large industrial supply company and needs to drive throughout Minnesota and Wisconsin. He drives a 2010 Chevrolet Impala and loves it. He previously drove a 2007 Buick Regal and says the three year old newer Impala is hands down better. Better gas mileage, more power and much more comfortable. He will put almost 50,000 miles a year on the vehicle and needs to have one that is still 25 - 30 mpg and room for four people and a large trunk.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 2nd, 2011, 08:26 PM
Captain

We have a 2009 Ford Escape and love it. Comfortable drive and good on gas-about 30 mpg. highway. It was just in for its annual oil change and tire rotation and the dealer lent us a 2011 for the day. It was only a 4 cylinder but my husband couldn't believe how peppy it was-with the way gas is headed, we thinking of getting one next year.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Honda Accords . We have two, one is a 2002 the other a 2004. They are incredibly dependable and have a great resale value.
GrandPrincess2004NCLSun2005
SunPrincess2006NCLDream&
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn&
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess&
GoldenPrincess2009CarnivalConquest&
GrandPrincess2010IslandPrincess&
GrandPrincess2011CarnivalMagic&
CarnivalDream2012IslandPrincess&
CarnivalMagic2013CarnivalLegend2014&
CarnivalMagic&CoralPrincess2015
CarnivalLiberty&CaribbeanPrincess2016
EmeraldPrincess2017
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:23 PM
Admiral

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand AM with 137,000 miles. The only problem that even approaches "major" was I had to replace an exhaust gasket a couple of years ago. It runs as well and as quietly as it did when I bought it. It has a 3.6 litre V-6 and even with ethanol, I get 32 miles per gallon at 70 mph and 25 locally. I used to get 27 locally on straight gasolone.

I know nothing lasts forever though so I've become kind of partial to the Malibu V-6 and the Ford Fusion V-6. All I've seen are ads so far but I'm going to check out the new Chrysler 200.

Todd
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I absolutely love my RX 350, living in the midwest, you need something good in snow and this does the trick.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:18 PM
Captain

As the previous lessee of many Chev products, I agree they are a "good value".
I pity the folks who got them when I returned them at leases end. Now driving Honda products, and all I can say is WOW! what a difference. Its worth paying 10% more and not buying crap.

You might want to add the Honda CRV to your list. A very fuel-efficient little AWD SUV that still has good acceleration.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:25 AM
Admiral

just be aware that any automaker from Japan may be impacted (shortage) by the situation there
Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

I'm on my fourth Ford Taurus (1988, 1996, 2005 and 2011). Nothing has EVER gone wrong with any of them and I would never buy anything else.

I live in Northern Michigan where the winters are harsh and find that front wheel drive is sufficient up here, the gas mileage is good and I think the 2011 Taurus us one of the best looking cars I've ever had.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 06:30 AM
Admiral

I have driven Ford cars for many years. When I retired almost two years ago, we decided to keep just one vehicle for a while. I had a 97 Ford Taurus with over 200,000 miles and give it to a friend who was out of work and had no transportation.
Since then he has found a job and the Ford is still running fine.

I presently drive a Jeep Liberty, but I am looking into buying another Ford later this year.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old May 3rd, 2011, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Aerogirl, I vote for Hyundai.
We've had a Hyundai Elantra (mid-size) since 2008 and love it, and it has the BEST gas mileage. We loved it so much we bought a 2nd one, an Accent, which, although good on mileage, proved just too small, so we traded it in on another Elantra, but a Touring (mid-wagon size). Great car, great mileage.
Have fun with your choices!

donna
Old May 3rd, 2011, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie View Post
I'm pretty sure you won't be too interested in what I am driving since it is a big Toyota Tundra 4x4 double cab, but I am also thinking about finding something more fuel efficient for daily driving. The hubby is always car shopping even though it will likely be at least another year before he buys, and fuel economy will be at the top of his shopping list. Some of the cars that have appealed to us are the Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata, the new Subaru Impreza AWD (this one is at the top of my list because of its economy and the AWD) the Volkswagon diesel sedans

OMG? Are we married to the same man???? Or is it just a guy thing. My guy watches all the car shows and reads all the reports and checks out websites, and he has figured out our "next car". We are 2.5 years away from our next car. By that time, models, specs, and pricing will be completely different.

I have a 2003 Toyota 4 Runner, which I Loooooooooove. When it dies (ten years from now), we'll replace it with a pickup truck. DH has a german sedan, which he loves.

I really want a Land Rover, but could never justify the price.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old May 3rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
Admiral

I have a 02 Impala now with only 60,000 miles on it. When I went to turn on the air it never got cold so I’m hoping it just needs to be recharged and it’s not the compressor. That will be the deciding factor if I buy a new car. If it’s a simple fix I would fix that do the breaks and be happy. Love my car it has everything I like, leather heated seats and a sunroof! It’s D/H who’s pressuring me to get something new due to the age of the car and not wanting it to start nickeling us to death.
I guess I should be excited but you’re talking to a gal who took eight years to but new end tables, I’m just not a shopper and to me if it works and looks nice why replace it or at least for most things. I do admit I terrible about buying things don’t get me wrong I’m not cheap I just don’t buy because I can. However when there is something I like I buy it. I get my highs on booking vacations!!
Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Default What Do You Drive?

Can't say enough good things about the Acura Integra. Keith has driven this car since l991. It's always gotten great mileage and ver little has gone wrong with it.

Judy