CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   What would stop you from cruising? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/382301-what-would-stop-you-cruising.html)

Moiraine May 4th, 2011 04:51 PM

What would stop you from cruising?
 
I got to thinking about my first cruise today and thought I'd ask you guys this question. My first cruise was on the Conquest out of Galveston. We were newbies with an oceanview cabin, so we did not have VIP check in. We had an hour or hour and a half wait getting in and a nice little wait for customs coming off. There were long lines both ways.

I overheard a conversation while standing in line waiting for customs on return to port. Appearantly these two ladies had met while waiting in line to get on the ship. The one asked the other if she liked the cruise. The woman said yes but that she'd never cruise again. Asked why, she responded that she did not like the long lines getting on and off the ship.

My mouth still drops to this day when I think about that. I've done another cruise since then, and I stood in a long line to get on the ship, although customs at Long Beach is sort of a joke. No problem with a long line getting off of that one. Maybe I'm asking the wrong people because it's probably safe to say that we are all addicted. I would never let something like standing in line get in my way of going on a cruise. In fact, the only things I can think of are things that would keep anyone from going...poor health, lack of time, lack of money, etc...

So, would anything put you off cruising?

Aerogirl May 4th, 2011 05:09 PM

She's the type of person I hate to be in a store line with. The only thing I could think of is if getting to the port via plane gets just too expensive. Maybe if the price for cruising became just two high and the quality was poor.

skymaster May 4th, 2011 06:00 PM

Well, I can only think of a couple of things that will keep me off a ship. Number one is "lack of money". Number two, is if the ships cruise director is Malcolm Burn. That wouldn't keep me from cruising,,,but it will keep me off that particular ship! :mad:

"SKY"

Dhill May 4th, 2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skymaster (Post 1369435)
Well, I can only think of a couple of things that will keep me off a ship. Number one is "lack of money". Number two, is if the ships cruise director is Malcolm Burn. That wouldn't keep me from cruising,,,but it will keep me off that particular ship! :mad:

"SKY"

Well now you got my interest there must be a story in there do share.;)

venice May 4th, 2011 07:48 PM

lack of $$$$..a physical disability that prevented me from enjoying the facilities of the ship and shore excursions..death

Manuel May 4th, 2011 07:56 PM

I only plan to stop cruising when I can no longer hack it.

I have sailed on the two largest ships in the world and did not have to wait in a long line to get onboard. The embarkation was as easy as a hot knife cutting butter.

TM

Lakers Fan May 4th, 2011 08:30 PM

Yes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moiraine (Post 1369418)
I got to thinking about my first cruise today and thought I'd ask you guys this question. My first cruise was on the Conquest out of Galveston. We were newbies with an oceanview cabin, so we did not have VIP check in. We had an hour or hour and a half wait getting in and a nice little wait for customs coming off. There were long lines both ways.

I overheard a conversation while standing in line waiting for customs on return to port. Appearantly these two ladies had met while waiting in line to get on the ship. The one asked the other if she liked the cruise. The woman said yes but that she'd never cruise again. Asked why, she responded that she did not like the long lines getting on and off the ship.

My mouth still drops to this day when I think about that. I've done another cruise since then, and I stood in a long line to get on the ship, although customs at Long Beach is sort of a joke. No problem with a long line getting off of that one. Maybe I'm asking the wrong people because it's probably safe to say that we are all addicted. I would never let something like standing in line get in my way of going on a cruise. In fact, the only things I can think of are things that would keep anyone from going...poor health, lack of time, lack of money, etc...

So, would anything put you off cruising?

An outbreak of the bubonic plague

Mike M May 4th, 2011 08:39 PM

A significant cost increase in fares would definitely cut back the number of cruises.

A major decline in food quality would make me re-think a cruise.

Health issues

Otherwise I'll keep cruising.

Take care,
Mike

AR May 4th, 2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moiraine (Post 1369418)
Maybe I'm asking the wrong people because it's probably safe to say that we are all addicted. I would never let something like standing in line get in my way of going on a cruise.

We enjoy cruising, and nothing but a disability would keep us from cruising when we want to. But I suspect you're right that you're asking the wrong people. Most who post here seem to be die-hards, and I know that, at least in the past, a number of people were cruisers to the exclusion of all other types of serious travel. So that sort of devotion makes this board a lousy "sample" for your question.

We spread our travel experiences around, and I would say that cruises account for roughly a third to a quarter of our major trips.

I know that because so many here are so addicted to cruising, they're truly stunned when others find fault with it for one reason or another. Me, I just shrug. We've never tried to convince anybody to go on a cruise, nor have we ever dissuaded them. People's preferences vary, and what might not bug us bugs them. That's what makes the world go around. What's right for them is right for them.

CruisinK n J May 4th, 2011 09:42 PM

What Would Stop You from Cruising?
 
Money, health problems, cost of air cost of hotels . . .

Judy

venice May 4th, 2011 09:55 PM

another perspective..I have been doing almost exclusively full charter smooth jazz cruises for the last 7 years..I have met many cruisers who indicated that they would have never considered taking a cruise in the past, but because of the jazz musicians they decided to try one...the charters are about 40% above the rack rate...they then went on a ;)regular;) (i.e. non jazz/music ) cruise and despite the fact that they saved lots of $$$$, they were bored out of their minds, and now will only cruise if it's a jazz cruise..I subscribe to that belief

so to answer your question, what would stop me from cruising is if there were no charter jazz or other music (i.e. oldies,blues etc) cruises

Pootersdad May 5th, 2011 06:58 AM

What Would Make Me Stop Cruising
 
The one thing that would make me stop cruising is death (my own).:cry:

skymaster May 5th, 2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhill (Post 1369443)
Well now you got my interest there must be a story in there do share.;)

Well, I've posted about this cruise before, but in a nut shell, the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I recently sailed on one of our favorite ships (Carnival Miracle) only to find that the great majority of the onboard entertainment was either non existent, or was running late, or had some other problem. The cruise directors staff ALL had an attitude, and didn't mind letting everyone know about it. They all had inside jokes, most of which was directed at the passengers. Everything that was wrong with that cruise was part of what the cruise director was supposed to do, and the cruise director was Malcolm Burn. I even had a conversation with him about the problems, and he let me know that he was just too busy to take care of business! (He did have plenty of time to do "other things" that he felt like doing however. I won't go into that!) :shock: As a result, I'll never sail with him again.

"SKY"

Queen of Oakville May 5th, 2011 10:31 AM

I can't bring myself to type the words. I started to, then erased it. [fear of it coming true, and all!].

So, I'll just say I love cruising and as long as the thing I fear never happens, I'm good. We're crusing more now than ever. Part of it has to do with the fact that our kids love it, and its cheaper than most land-based holidays.

NCL has a great deal on right now (where kids sail free). We looked at a NCL sailing, and it was cheaper to cruise NCL with all meals and entertainment included than it was to stay in a beach hotel in Fort Lauderdale. If NCL sailed out of Fort Lauderdale when we want to travel ..... it would be a no brainer.

TravelMike May 5th, 2011 01:40 PM

This is easy, a smoking ban. I don't smoke but DW does. If they outlawed smoking she would not cruise, so that would end it for me as well. Mike

blueliner May 5th, 2011 04:48 PM

I cannot think of anything that would keep me from cruising. Short of some devistating financial or medical crisis of course. I am reminded of a guy I met in the theater on my very 1st cruise, he was a retired travel agent that lived in Flordia and spent his social security on cruising. He was on cruise 83 when I met him and counting! That is gonna be me someday!

rollerdonna May 5th, 2011 06:33 PM

money.(lack of) and I'm feeling it right now.

donna

Snoozeman May 5th, 2011 08:06 PM

My parole officer.:rolleyes:

skymaster May 6th, 2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1369574)
My parole officer.:rolleyes:

HA! Now that's funny,,I don't care who you are,,that's funny!
Well, you could always take your parole officer (with any luck it'll be a HER) with you! :)

"SKY"

venice May 6th, 2011 11:11 AM

if one is on the terrorist watch list or on an immigration passport control hit list..my cruising bubby was a victim of identify theft and she was flagged at customs upon our return from Paris..took us awhile to get it straighten out but was not a nice experience

Snoozeman May 6th, 2011 11:23 AM

What female parole officers may look like......

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/...ard-county.jpg

.......at least in Broward county, Fla............

Queen of Oakville May 6th, 2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1369661)
if one is on the terrorist watch list or on an immigration passport control hit list..my cruising bubby was a victim of identify theft and she was flagged at customs upon our return from Paris..took us awhile to get it straighten out but was not a nice experience

My DH's name is on the watch list. It's somewhat of a common name, but not that common. He's okay with border crossigns, but we have a heck of a time with airlines. We can't do on-line check-in because they have to see his passport. We've petitioned the TSA, and we got back some generic response that his ID could not be verified.


There is also someone in our town with the same name, who's run up a bad dept wtih the local XXX store. Yeah, those phone calls are fun!

venice May 6th, 2011 07:13 PM

Snoozeman...so do you report weekly to your parole officers ?

skymaster May 7th, 2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1369666)
What female parole officers may look like......

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/...ard-county.jpg

.......at least in Broward county, Fla............

Yep,,,believe it or not, many years ago (in the '70's) I worked for Broward County Sheriffs Office, and yes indeed,,,we had some female officers who looked like these. Many of the other police agencies where I worked weren't so lucky. (Nothing but ugly old men!) :rolleyes: Probably the best looking officer I ever had the pleasure of working with, was at the Dekalb County Police Department,,just East of Atlanta. They had a former "Miss Georgia" working there, as a dispatcher, who wasn't at all hard to look at! :cool: Yes,,,they were ALL very good law enforcement employees!

"SKY"

venice May 7th, 2011 11:30 AM

Sky...were you working an undercover vice detail when you met the dispatcher :rofl:

skymaster May 7th, 2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1369800)
Sky...were you working an undercover vice detail when you met the dispatcher :rofl:

HA HA! It's funny that you said that, because more often than not, the "street cops" who didn't know me, thought that's what I was, because I had longer hair than most of the others around the office. Fact is, that I am a computer engineer, and I worked a number of different agencies, installing, and maintaining the very first "computer aided dispatch systems" for them. You'll remember these devices as "The Computers In The Cars", where the police cars were dispatched via computer, and they could run "wants and warrants" from the cars without ever having to talk to a dispatcher. Pretty futuristic for the late 1970's. (Damn,,,that's over 40 years ago!) :roll: Anyway, I had a GREAT time doing that work, and working with some excellent people, and police agencies.

"SKY"


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1