Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Admiral

Default What would stop you from cruising?

I got to thinking about my first cruise today and thought I'd ask you guys this question. My first cruise was on the Conquest out of Galveston. We were newbies with an oceanview cabin, so we did not have VIP check in. We had an hour or hour and a half wait getting in and a nice little wait for customs coming off. There were long lines both ways.

I overheard a conversation while standing in line waiting for customs on return to port. Appearantly these two ladies had met while waiting in line to get on the ship. The one asked the other if she liked the cruise. The woman said yes but that she'd never cruise again. Asked why, she responded that she did not like the long lines getting on and off the ship.

My mouth still drops to this day when I think about that. I've done another cruise since then, and I stood in a long line to get on the ship, although customs at Long Beach is sort of a joke. No problem with a long line getting off of that one. Maybe I'm asking the wrong people because it's probably safe to say that we are all addicted. I would never let something like standing in line get in my way of going on a cruise. In fact, the only things I can think of are things that would keep anyone from going...poor health, lack of time, lack of money, etc...

So, would anything put you off cruising?
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Admiral

She's the type of person I hate to be in a store line with. The only thing I could think of is if getting to the port via plane gets just too expensive. Maybe if the price for cruising became just two high and the quality was poor.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

ALLURE OF THE SEAS FEB 2016.... Who's going with??
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old May 4th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Well, I can only think of a couple of things that will keep me off a ship. Number one is "lack of money". Number two, is if the ships cruise director is Malcolm Burn. That wouldn't keep me from cruising,,,but it will keep me off that particular ship!

"SKY"
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Well, I can only think of a couple of things that will keep me off a ship. Number one is "lack of money". Number two, is if the ships cruise director is Malcolm Burn. That wouldn't keep me from cruising,,,but it will keep me off that particular ship!

"SKY"
Well now you got my interest there must be a story in there do share.
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Admiral

lack of $$$$..a physical disability that prevented me from enjoying the facilities of the ship and shore excursions..death
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Admiral

I only plan to stop cruising when I can no longer hack it.

I have sailed on the two largest ships in the world and did not have to wait in a long line to get onboard. The embarkation was as easy as a hot knife cutting butter.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old May 4th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moiraine View Post
I got to thinking about my first cruise today and thought I'd ask you guys this question. My first cruise was on the Conquest out of Galveston. We were newbies with an oceanview cabin, so we did not have VIP check in. We had an hour or hour and a half wait getting in and a nice little wait for customs coming off. There were long lines both ways.

I overheard a conversation while standing in line waiting for customs on return to port. Appearantly these two ladies had met while waiting in line to get on the ship. The one asked the other if she liked the cruise. The woman said yes but that she'd never cruise again. Asked why, she responded that she did not like the long lines getting on and off the ship.

My mouth still drops to this day when I think about that. I've done another cruise since then, and I stood in a long line to get on the ship, although customs at Long Beach is sort of a joke. No problem with a long line getting off of that one. Maybe I'm asking the wrong people because it's probably safe to say that we are all addicted. I would never let something like standing in line get in my way of going on a cruise. In fact, the only things I can think of are things that would keep anyone from going...poor health, lack of time, lack of money, etc...

So, would anything put you off cruising?
An outbreak of the bubonic plague
Old May 4th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

A significant cost increase in fares would definitely cut back the number of cruises.

A major decline in food quality would make me re-think a cruise.

Health issues

Otherwise I'll keep cruising.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moiraine View Post
Maybe I'm asking the wrong people because it's probably safe to say that we are all addicted. I would never let something like standing in line get in my way of going on a cruise.
We enjoy cruising, and nothing but a disability would keep us from cruising when we want to. But I suspect you're right that you're asking the wrong people. Most who post here seem to be die-hards, and I know that, at least in the past, a number of people were cruisers to the exclusion of all other types of serious travel. So that sort of devotion makes this board a lousy "sample" for your question.

We spread our travel experiences around, and I would say that cruises account for roughly a third to a quarter of our major trips.

I know that because so many here are so addicted to cruising, they're truly stunned when others find fault with it for one reason or another. Me, I just shrug. We've never tried to convince anybody to go on a cruise, nor have we ever dissuaded them. People's preferences vary, and what might not bug us bugs them. That's what makes the world go around. What's right for them is right for them.
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Default What Would Stop You from Cruising?

Money, health problems, cost of air cost of hotels . . .

Judy
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Admiral

another perspective..I have been doing almost exclusively full charter smooth jazz cruises for the last 7 years..I have met many cruisers who indicated that they would have never considered taking a cruise in the past, but because of the jazz musicians they decided to try one...the charters are about 40% above the rack rate...they then went on a regular (i.e. non jazz/music ) cruise and despite the fact that they saved lots of $$$$, they were bored out of their minds, and now will only cruise if it's a jazz cruise..I subscribe to that belief

so to answer your question, what would stop me from cruising is if there were no charter jazz or other music (i.e. oldies,blues etc) cruises
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Captain

Exclamation What Would Make Me Stop Cruising

The one thing that would make me stop cruising is death (my own).
Old May 5th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
Well now you got my interest there must be a story in there do share.
Well, I've posted about this cruise before, but in a nut shell, the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I recently sailed on one of our favorite ships (Carnival Miracle) only to find that the great majority of the onboard entertainment was either non existent, or was running late, or had some other problem. The cruise directors staff ALL had an attitude, and didn't mind letting everyone know about it. They all had inside jokes, most of which was directed at the passengers. Everything that was wrong with that cruise was part of what the cruise director was supposed to do, and the cruise director was Malcolm Burn. I even had a conversation with him about the problems, and he let me know that he was just too busy to take care of business! (He did have plenty of time to do "other things" that he felt like doing however. I won't go into that!) As a result, I'll never sail with him again.

"SKY"
Old May 5th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Admiral

I can't bring myself to type the words. I started to, then erased it. [fear of it coming true, and all!].

So, I'll just say I love cruising and as long as the thing I fear never happens, I'm good. We're crusing more now than ever. Part of it has to do with the fact that our kids love it, and its cheaper than most land-based holidays.

NCL has a great deal on right now (where kids sail free). We looked at a NCL sailing, and it was cheaper to cruise NCL with all meals and entertainment included than it was to stay in a beach hotel in Fort Lauderdale. If NCL sailed out of Fort Lauderdale when we want to travel ..... it would be a no brainer.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old May 5th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Admiral

This is easy, a smoking ban. I don't smoke but DW does. If they outlawed smoking she would not cruise, so that would end it for me as well. Mike
Old May 5th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Admiral

I cannot think of anything that would keep me from cruising. Short of some devistating financial or medical crisis of course. I am reminded of a guy I met in the theater on my very 1st cruise, he was a retired travel agent that lived in Flordia and spent his social security on cruising. He was on cruise 83 when I met him and counting! That is gonna be me someday!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Admiral

money.(lack of) and I'm feeling it right now.

donna
Old May 5th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

My parole officer.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old May 6th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
My parole officer.
HA! Now that's funny,,I don't care who you are,,that's funny!
Well, you could always take your parole officer (with any luck it'll be a HER) with you!

"SKY"
Old May 6th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Admiral

if one is on the terrorist watch list or on an immigration passport control hit list..my cruising bubby was a victim of identify theft and she was flagged at customs upon our return from Paris..took us awhile to get it straighten out but was not a nice experience
Old May 6th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

What female parole officers may look like......

.......at least in Broward county, Fla............

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old May 6th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
if one is on the terrorist watch list or on an immigration passport control hit list..my cruising bubby was a victim of identify theft and she was flagged at customs upon our return from Paris..took us awhile to get it straighten out but was not a nice experience
My DH's name is on the watch list. It's somewhat of a common name, but not that common. He's okay with border crossigns, but we have a heck of a time with airlines. We can't do on-line check-in because they have to see his passport. We've petitioned the TSA, and we got back some generic response that his ID could not be verified.

There is also someone in our town with the same name, who's run up a bad dept wtih the local XXX store. Yeah, those phone calls are fun!

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Snoozeman...so do you report weekly to your parole officers ?
Old May 7th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
What female parole officers may look like......

.......at least in Broward county, Fla............
Yep,,,believe it or not, many years ago (in the '70's) I worked for Broward County Sheriffs Office, and yes indeed,,,we had some female officers who looked like these. Many of the other police agencies where I worked weren't so lucky. (Nothing but ugly old men!) Probably the best looking officer I ever had the pleasure of working with, was at the Dekalb County Police Department,,just East of Atlanta. They had a former "Miss Georgia" working there, as a dispatcher, who wasn't at all hard to look at! Yes,,,they were ALL very good law enforcement employees!

"SKY"
Old May 7th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Sky...were you working an undercover vice detail when you met the dispatcher ::
Old May 7th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
Sky...were you working an undercover vice detail when you met the dispatcher ::
HA HA! It's funny that you said that, because more often than not, the "street cops" who didn't know me, thought that's what I was, because I had longer hair than most of the others around the office. Fact is, that I am a computer engineer, and I worked a number of different agencies, installing, and maintaining the very first "computer aided dispatch systems" for them. You'll remember these devices as "The Computers In The Cars", where the police cars were dispatched via computer, and they could run "wants and warrants" from the cars without ever having to talk to a dispatcher. Pretty futuristic for the late 1970's. (Damn,,,that's over 40 years ago!) Anyway, I had a GREAT time doing that work, and working with some excellent people, and police agencies.

"SKY"