Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Default Its Kentucky Derby time.

Does anyone here watch the races? If so whos your winning pick?
I like Nehro or Santiva the long shot.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

My daughter and her family are down there, just turned it on...Will be awhile yet before the big race....I kind of like "fire in the pants"?? I know it is a long shot, we'll see.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 7th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
My daughter and her family are down there, just turned it on...Will be awhile yet before the big race....I kind of like "fire in the pants"?? I know it is a long shot, we'll see.
Love the name! That's my moms pick of the race!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old May 7th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Admiral

We'll probably watch it as well. I don't really have a favorite, and it's been proven that the favorite in the "Derby" hasn't won for something like 30 years. I think one pick is as good as another in this race.
They've got a "pool" going on over at my VFW post, so I might go over there to watch the race, and pick up a few extra bucks. (That'll be the day!)

"SKY"
Old May 7th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Admiral

My pick was Uncle Mo but he was scratched .I was not home to watch the race.
Old May 8th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Admiral

I'm a big sports fan, but I've never been to a horserace in my life, and don't intend to go. I've always considered it, along with dog racing, etc., to be a sanctioned form of animal cruelty. I know that most people don't feel that way, it's just a quirk of mine and I'm not militant about it.

I did go to Churchill Downs once when there was no racing going on. It was an evening outing during a conference I was attending. We got tours of the place, including the stables and such. Don't remember much else because they kept giving us glasses full of a concoction that tasted kind of minty, went down real well, and sort of blurred the memory.

Who won the race yesterday? Did any horses get killed in the process? Any humans?
Old May 8th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Admiral

I personally am against horses being used to transport people in Central Park and other venues .I am also against the trotters where horses pull riders .

I am also against the killing of animals for sport .Much of America enjoys this .
Old May 8th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Admiral

I know I may catch some flack for this but so be it. I live in Lexington, supposedly the horse capital of the world.
Keeneland Race track is about 3 miles from my house. I have been there one time to a horse race in 40 + years. I've been there several times in the spring and fall to just enjoy the beautiful grounds and park like setting.
Personally, I think it's cruel sport and to answer A.R.'s question, no, at least not to my knowledge, there were no injuries that required any horses to be put down in Saturday's race although one did stumble coming out of the gate and finished the race, last I believe, with a fracture in it's leg or foot. Supposedly it will be ok--til the next time anyway. People come from all over the world to see and be seen at the derby at Churchill Downs. The women all try to out do each other with their hats. You think you saw hats at the Royal Wedding a couple weeks ago, you should see the hats at the KY. Derby !!
Regarding hunting as a sport, I think it's unnecessary to go out and shoot some animal for the sport of it. I was raised in the country, hunted and fished growing up and killed my share of game. After my little stint in the Army, I never hunted again and have absolutely no desire to shoot anything.I think it's cruel to kill for the pure sport of it, if it can be called a sport. But,that's my opinion.
Regarding horse racing, it will continue, as it involves hundreds of millions of dollars and after all, isn't that what everything's all about in the long run?? So, the horse industry is in no danger of folding. Just run the horses til they aren't producing any more money and then send them off to god knows where for dog food or whatever.
Just my humble but honest opinion.
Old May 9th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Admiral

I come from an area of the country where hungting is big....very big. I have no problem with people who hunt who eat their meat. We have hundreds of desperately poor people in the mountains who refuse to ask for government help to feed their families. They get their meat from game an grow their own vegetables.

I am 100 percent against both trophy hunting and "canned hunts." We have a canned hunting operation where until they finally changed the law and you can only hunt animals relative in the US. Before that they were killing anything you can thinks of, Zebras, giraffes, elk, and remember, these animals were raised on farms, many hand fed and they had no fear of man. Of curse you it costs a fortune to kill something like a zebra but I think it's absominable.

At the fair there used to be mule diving into a pool. The authorities put out extra police to make sure none of us interferred (which we woudn't have done anyway). When I got talking with all of the cops and telling them how horrific this was on the animals. they completely turned (and many themselves are hunters. They themselves harrassed the hell out of the sonofa ***** (see,I put in the stars myself) And well they did. He was subsequently arrested in another state for animal cruelty and they threw the book at him for that and playing around with the money. the people watching had not idea the animals were terrified and were forced out on the "diving board." They couldn't turn around so they jumped. I pointed out to them the abject fear in the eyes of the animals and they became totally unglued and revolted. They called their captain and said enough was enough even though the Chairman of the Fair Board was a very influential man. The show was immediately cancelled.

All I can say about horse racing is this, Ron. When they're retired they definitely don't go to the "glue factory." When one is severely injured they really becaome basket cases and spend money as if they're pringing it to try and save the horse's life. Whether we aree with the sport or not (I personally don't but I'm not a fanatic about that), the horse are. believe it or no, dearly well loved by their owners and trainers. Once they stop racing they lead the best lives of any horse on this planet. If male the are used for stud, combed and brushed incessantly, fed only the finest feed, and loved to death. their stalls are kept in the same manner as the Budweiser Clydesdales. Please don't take my word for it. As you live in the midle of horse country go visit some of the more famous retirees. You won't believe how well they're treated for the rest of the lives. In effect, they are pets as opposed to "money making machines>"

Grey Hounds on the other hand are basicall kicked out. There are now recue organizations by Shelters that accept these dogs, they're rehabilitatied, treated with ustmoss Kindness and affair,and then placed inot good homes (I'm forever geeint phne calls from these resuce organizations devoed to these cast offs.

Todd .
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Todd, I agree that there's still people who hunt for the meat and if necessary, I would kill a deer or rabbit if I were hungry enough. When I was growing up in the country, we always ate what we killed and the fish we caught. It's the killing for the " sport " of it that I don't like.
Re / the retired race horses. living here in Lexington, I see both sides of it. The big name horses that win races command huge sums for " stud " fees once they're retired but there's so many that never make the big time that are eventually discarded. Thankfully, in recent years, more and more people have become aware of this problem and are taking action to see that many of these animals are left to live out a peaceful life.
We have a couple of small animal hospitals here that will even take in small animals, birds, etc that are injured or sick and do it for free.It makes me feel good to see that at least people are becoming more aware that animals are not just something to be seen--that they have feelings and we should help them if possible.
Now I'm being summoned by the boss who is off today wanting to go spend money, aka shopping !! Have a great week!!
Old May 9th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Admiral

I received an e-mail from a CM person who said that in his home state everyone hunts .Its something they've done for generations .
I have 3 neighbors who spent most of their lives in the state that the CM person lives in and they said they never did any hunting .

I don't think that killing an animal is ever warranted . I've been a member of Friends Of Animals for over 30 years .
If a human is attacked by an animal the human will kill the animal and be cheered but if a human attacks an animal and the animal kills the person the animal will still be killed.
For those who say that if you are starving and need meat would you condone the killing of another human ?

IMHO ,any person who kills an animal for sport should be arrested .