Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Default The Next American President

If you had the power to choose the next US President whom would you choose ?

To me there is only one person qualified for the office:

Julian Bond
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Certainly not the one we have now!
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Admiral

STEVEN TYLER FOR PRESIDENT!!
(just kidding) or maybe not!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Since 1968 I've been pushing for.

Pat Paulsen for President!!!!

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 8th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Admiral

This is going to get quite political!

And politics are like sausage making. The less you know about it the better off you are.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old May 8th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Admiral

Dave The Wave!

"sky"
Old May 8th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Quote:
Since 1968 I've been pushing for.

Pat Paulsen for President!!!!

Take care,
Mike
Pat Paulsen passed away April, 24th 1997

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 8th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Admiral

in Chicago Pat Paulsen is still on every Presidential ballotI thought we had all agreed that CruiseMates would form a PAC and our Salsa ticket would be Dave the Wave & our beloved Cruise Queen with Katlady being the campaign manager..our health care program would consist of federal tax rebate for all massages on cruises and our immigration policy would consist of granting US citzenship to all crew members of foreign flag vessels that sail out of a US homeport

the state of the economy (to paraphrase James Carville) in the 15 months before an election determines who will be the next POTUS..both parties know that so it should not be a surprise of the political strategy of the party not in the White House, not to do anything to cooperate (but not make it to obvious) with the sitting POTUS to make the economy better in the near term...I think Dave The Wave would make a perfect role model for the 1st Husband of our Country
Old May 8th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Julian Bond for President and Kerri Washington for VP
Old May 8th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post
Pat Paulsen passed away April, 24th 1997

Laura
Really!!!

I just saw him last week at McDonald's.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 8th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Admiral

That's right. . .when I was doing radio in Chicagoland the standard report on election night was. . ."Cook County results are incomplete. . .several cemeteries have yet to be heard from!"

Many years later I spent many happy days doing a film for PBS with Pat Paulsen, and I don't know when I've ever laughed so hard. It's tough to say whether it was more fun during the work days, or after hours in his suite just listening to the stories. Later, Terry and I would meet him for drinks when he came through Washington--campaigning for President, of course. He also invited us to one of his "candidate appearances" at a local college.

What a funny, funny guy.
Old May 8th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Talking Next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
If you had the power to choose the next US President whom would you choose ?

To me there is only one person qualified for the office:

Julian Bond
HMMM. Considering recent events, I think James Bond would be better ...

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old May 8th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Admiral

I vote for Big Bird!

BTW, when I first moved to New York and was staying in a hotel in Sheepshead Bay for a few weeks, for some reason a TV personality who I think was doing a show somewhere in Manhattan stayed there as well (I think he stayed there because he was at the lounge every night sitting at the bar for what seemed almost two weeks) and while it certainly wasn't a "dump," it was not a classy place.

The guy was Fred Gwynne ("The Munsters," "Car 54 Where are You?", "My Cousin Vinny" with Joe Pesci, etc). Most don't know he was a graduate of both Groton and Harvard and was the funniest man I ever met in my life. Sadly he died at only 66 from pancreatic cancer. The man was naturally funny, even during general conversation. At that time, the Mafia didn't run but was a major populant of the Hotel. After I left I heard they closed the lounge just to get them to leave. That didn't stop Fred. He made fun of the mob when over half of those sitting at the bar had last names that ended in vowels and they probably laughed the hardest. It truly was like about an hour to an hour and a half's entertainment. He could be serious of course as well and was absolutely brilliant with in depth knowledge of pretty much any subject that arose.

He certainly was one entertaining individual (and very tall, even taller than I and I'm 6'4").

I'm sure AR could definitely provide more personal history than I know on him and I hope you do, AR.

Todd
Old May 8th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Quote:
I vote for Big Bird!
BTW, when I first moved to New York and was staying in a hotel in Sheepshead Bay for a few weeks, for some reason a TV personality who I think was doing a show somewhere in Manhattan stayed there as well (I think he stayed there because he was at the lounge every night sitting at the bar for what seemed almost two weeks) and while it certainly wasn't a "dump," it was not a classy place.

The guy was Fred Gwynne ("The Munsters," "Car 54 Where are You?", "My Cousin Vinny" with Joe Pesci, etc). Most don't know he was a graduate of both Groton and Harvard and was the funniest man I ever met in my life. Sadly he died at only 66 from pancreatic cancer. The man was naturally funny, even during general conversation. At that time, the Mafia didn't run but was a major populant of the Hotel. After I left I heard they closed the lounge just to get them to leave. That didn't stop Fred. He made fun of the mob when over half of those sitting at the bar had last names that ended in vowels and they probably laughed the hardest. It truly was like about an hour to an hour and a half's entertainment. He could be serious of course as well and was absolutely brilliant with in depth knowledge of pretty much any subject that arose.

He certainly was one entertaining individual (and very tall, even taller than I and I'm 6'4").

I'm sure AR could definitely provide more personal history than I know on him and I hope you do, AR.

Todd
Todd,
When I was a child in the 50's growing up in Massachusetts we went to visit some of my Mothers cousins in Acton MA. There was a teen age boy there who is a distant cousin to me. He took us younger kids upstairs and entertained us with a puppet show. Many years later in the 70's at my Grandparents home in Eastport Maine I saw my Mothers cousin again. Their son had grown up and his puppet hobby became his livelyhood. He became the original "Big Bird". He was also one of the muppeteers for Jim Henson. His name is Carroll Spinney. The last I knew he was living in Mass or Conn I do not know if he is even still alive now. If he is he has to be around 80 years old.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 8th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Default Carroll Spinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post
Todd,
When I was a child in the 50's growing up in Massachusetts we went to visit some of my Mothers cousins in Acton MA. There was a teen age boy there who is a distant cousin to me. He took us younger kids upstairs and entertained us with a puppet show. Many years later in the 70's at my Grandparents home in Eastport Maine I saw my Mothers cousin again. Their son had grown up and his puppet hobby became his livelyhood. He became the original "Big Bird". He was also one of the muppeteers for Jim Henson. His name is Carroll Spinney. The last I knew he was living in Mass or Conn I do not know if he is even still alive now. If he is he has to be around 80 years old.

Laura
Mr.Spinney is 77 years young .
Old May 8th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Default James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
HMMM. Considering recent events, I think James Bond would be better ...
James Bond and Israel Bond are fictional characters whereas Julian Bond is a humanitarian .
Old May 8th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
James Bond and Israel Bond are fictional characters whereas Julian Bond is a humanitarian .
Humanitarian? You've got to be kidding me!!?!?!?! The guy left his wife and five children for a younger woman; what type of man does that? More than that, he wants to erase the history of the Southern states. He is a bigot and a charlatan. Of course the main reason I can't stand the man is that he hates us Jews; almost as bad as Farrakan.

As a former resident of Florida, I think who would make the best President now would be our former Governor, the smarter Bush son. Jeb Bush. Of course, there is no way for him to run in the current environment.

By the way, I have known many Israel Bonds over my lifetime.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14

Last edited by Marc; May 8th, 2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old May 8th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Default You can't be serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Humanitarian? You've got to be kidding me!!?!?!?! The guy left his wife and five children for a younger woman; what type of man does that? More than that, he wants to erase the history of the Southern states. He is a bigot and a charlatan. Of course the main reason I can't stand the man is that he hates us Jews; almost as bad as Farrakan.

As a former resident of Florida, I think who would make the best President now would be our former Governor, the smarter Bush son. Jeb Bush. Of course, there is no way for him to run in the current environment.

By the way, I have known many Israel Bonds over my lifetime.
First of all many elected US Presidents have had affairs while married .Secondly I spent most of the early 60's involved in the Civil rights movement with Julian Bond .Never once did I hear him make an antisemitic remark .
Old May 9th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Mr.Spinney is 77 years young
Thank you for that information Henry. I have an uncle in RI who is 94 now. He has gone to Carroll Spinney's home many times to attend family reunions. I had it in my mind to call him and ask.

Laura
---Mark Twain

Old May 9th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Someone who can stop running for office after the election, and can not make promises, without having a clue what he or she is talking about.

I like the idea of Big Bird.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
I vote for Big Bird!

The guy was Fred Gwynne ("The Munsters," "Car 54 Where are You?", "My Cousin Vinny" with Joe Pesci, etc). I'm sure AR could definitely provide more personal history than I know on him and I hope you do, AR.

Todd
Sorry, I know nothing about Mr. Gwynne other than through his work, which I always enjoyed. Clearly a pro's pro.

As for Carroll Spinney (Big Bird), I believe he's still alive, but getting up in years. Again, other than the fact that in addition to Big Bird he was also Oscar the Grouch, I don't know much about him beyond the notion that he did other puppetry stuff before Sesame Street.
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Someone who can stop running for office after the election, and can not make promises, without having a clue what he or she is talking about.

One way to have people stop running after the election would be to change the Constitution to provide for a single six-year term with no possibility of re-election. I'm all for that, in addition to two six-year terms for senators, and four two-year terms for representatives.
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Admiral

AR..interesting..of course that would play havoc with the seniority system and committee assignments..I like it when the Senators from each state are of the opposite party..in Louisiana, that has shown to be very interesting when they have to come together for post Katrina efforts

it was assumed in the Bush family that Jed would be the one groomed to run for President, not George...but you are absolutely correct, the Bush name , like the Kennedy name will not see the WH again in our generation..there is a reason why George has been very low key since the last Presidential elections
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Why is he being low key, Venice?

AR I am all for one term presidents. It scares me to death when a decision has to be made, and the answer might depend on what the voters would want, instead of what is the right thing to do, with all the private info provided to only the president.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old May 9th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Default Bond

Quote:
James Bond is a great man.

Israel Bonds are a good investment.

Humanitarians are fictional characters ...

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old May 9th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Default Israel Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
James Bond is a great man.

Israel Bonds are a good investment.

Humanitarians are fictional characters ...

Israel Bond is a fictionalized character in a series of books satirizing James Bond .I own copies of all of the books .

The USA has many humanitarians :Elie Wiesel just to name one .
Old May 9th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Luanne..IMHO

1) it's a time honor tradition that former Presidents are low key and never critical of the current sitting POTUS...there is a bond that only they understand of the incredible pressures of the office..if anything, they provide private counsel to the POTUS and become statesmen like and serve the sitting POTUS when called upon.. former POTUS Bush (elder) and Clinton are classic examples with the various relief efforts worldwide...I am somewhat surprise that former POTUS Jimmy Carter has been critical

2)our Country is still "raw' about him..he's hoping that the long term historical perspective of his Presidency will be more favorable (time heals)..interesting side note..former 1st Lady Laura Bush has been back to New Orleans several times on a quiet low key basis since leaving office bringing books and providing support thru her foundation to rebuild our elementary school libraries...She is well thought of by the citizens of New Orleans (and loved by our kids that she is helping) for her efforts and the media and citizens honor her privacy request..maybe on one of her future trips she could bring a "helper" that would quietly help repaint a library, or read a book to our kids (Luanne, as you well know 6 year old kids don't have a political agenda)
Old May 9th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Very well said Venice. I agree with everything you said.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old May 9th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Default Time Heals? Sometimes

Let's go down the list

FDR. Beloved when he died in office. No need for time to heal

Truman. Came into office at FDR's death, popular. Re-elected in 48. Got rid of MacArthur. By the time he left office in 52 he couldn't have been elected dogcatcher. Rehabilitated by time? Definitely.

Ike. Other than ending the Korean War and getting rid of McCarthy (which he didn't do alone), he was thought of kindly during and after his presidency. His post-presidential activities, other than golf, were insignificant.

JFK. Special case, obviously. Will always be in everyone's heart no matter the politics.

LBJ. Similar trajectory to Truman. Left the office bitter and unpopular. Brooded. Rehabilitated by time? No.

Nixon. A morose criminal. Rehabilitated by time? No. At his funeral Billy Graham asked for 18 1/2 minutes of silence. (I actually sent that joke to Leno).

Ford. Nice guy, popular when he took over, simply because he wasn't Nixon. Took a big hit when he pardoned Nixon, which probably cost him the election. Rehabilitated by time? Absolutely, mainly because he was known as a very nice, kind, decent guy.

Carter. Largely ineffective as president, hurt badly by the economy, high interest rates, Iran, but arguably one of the finest, most productive ex-presidents we've ever had. Rehabilitated by time? Yes, mostly because of his never-ending service to humankind.

Reagan. Came in popular. Stayed popular. Got Bush I elected. Application for sainthood pending, despite being wrong about so many things, e.g. "trickle down economics." No need for rehabilitation. Nearly everything in Washington is or will be named for him.

Bush I. Came in popular because of Reagan. Popularity through the roof at end of first Gulf War (the "War-gasm" in Washington is still one of the biggest celebrations ever held here). Then it all ended for him. Waged a terrible campaign against Clinton. Many felt he just didn't care any more. Rehabilitated by time? Yes, to some degree. Many say that he still looks good compared to Bush II.

Clinton. Could have been a great President if he'd kept it zipped up. Little doubt that his failing to do so got Bush II elected. Rehabilitated by time? To the extent necessary, yes. Again, largely due to his own love of good works, and his undeniable intellect, and his amazing ego.

Bush II. Many negatives. Will time rehabilitate? Jury is out.

Obama. Jury is REALLY out. Now that we're past the birth certificate and Osama, we'll see how he fares. Much of his success or lack of it between now and the next election will be due to factors over which he has little or no control (e.g. gas prices, jobs), which has got to be annoying. Plus he'll never please the racists.

So I think it's a mixed bag. Time heals, sometimes. I think it's interesting that the two who have made their own reputations most clearly in the service of mankind post-presidency are Carter and Clinton. If you ever get a chance, read an annual report from the Carter Center. I truly believe that had JFK lived, he would have gone down a similar path. I also think that Obama will.
Old May 9th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Admiral

AR, that was a well written post about our presidents in recent times.

Yuo did a good job and I agree with you all the way.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!