Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Default How/Why do you decide to take a cruise?

I think that some of you are retired and have the freedom to cruise when ever you want. What motivates you to book?

-the need for a vacation?
-the mantra that you can't take it with you?
-the right opportunity?

Since finding this board, I apparently have become an "avid" cruiser. We used to be a once a year/every few years kind of cruiser.

But for the last little while but by August, we seem to be averaging 2 per year now. For us, the motivation seems to be the need for a vacation fuelled by the right opportunity. That and the fact that for the most part, cruising represents such a good return on your vacation dollar.

I yearn to be like some of you who can just wake up one morning and say "Honey, let's book a cruise!".

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Admiral

We took our first cruise for our 30th annivesary and were hooked. Our cruise in Oct will be our 12th. For us it is a nice relaxing way to vacation and get to see other places. Hubby is not yet retired and I am in a forced retirement with no benifits. One thing we like to do is snorkel and with going to the different islands give us a chance to do this. We have enjoyed being able to cruise twice a year but for now will only do one a year.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Admiral

I love everything about cruising.

I enjoy being near the ocean, love the entertainment on the ships and we allways meet nice interesting people on our cruises.

A cruise vacation is allway more relaxing than a lnad vacation and more affordable as well.

We do take land vacations because of family obligations. We will be visiting my FIL in Italy this fall and will take the opportunity to do some sight seeing while we are there.

We spent three nights in Paris a couple of years ago and we loved it, but it cost us the price of a seven day cruise, if not more.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old May 11th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I am with Manuel, I love everything about taking a cruise over a land vacation. Once you are onboard, it is totally stress free, no major decisions to make. You can do what you want, when you want and you don't have to plan where your next meal is, just where on the ship....The value is also there as well, for the most part, everything is included and paid for before you leave. The rest is easily budgeted as you want....Plus you get to more than just one place...Very easy choice for me.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Queen...excellent thread topic, my compliments..for long time veteran cruisers (I've been cruising since the late 70's)..taking a cruise depends upon one's situation in life at that time...I started out cruising because being a single Dad, it was a great way to spend time with my son during the summer (much like our friend Dave The Wave is doing now with his sons)...because my working life left very little time for a relationship I went thru a long period of time where I cruised so I could spend quality time with the person in my life..I then went thru a cruising period where I wanted to see different parts of the world (i.e Venice,Greece, Turkey etc)..then I went thru a period where I wanted to experience different styles of cruising (i.e River Cruising in the South of France, Maine Windjammer Cruise, barge cruise on the Mississippi), then in 2005 right after Katrina I discovered that I could combine my two great passions, cruising and smooth jazz into 1 incredible week per year..the cycle has gone it's full course because this December my son and grandson have invited me to go with them on a Disney cruise which will be my grandson's 1 st cruise..I learned early in life that cruising required a discipline to save my $$$ and also that cruising was a way of decompressing from the stresses of life
Old May 11th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

There are a variety of reasons we will take a cruise.

A certain itinerary becomes available at a price that's right.
A group of people, such as a CM cruise, comes up that looks interesting.
Family get together.
Special Occasion: Anniversary, birthday, etc.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
Queen...excellent thread topic, my compliments..for long time veteran cruisers (I've been cruising since the late 70's)..taking a cruise depends upon one's situation in life at that time...I started out cruising because being a single Dad, it was a great way to spend time with my son during the summer (much like our friend Dave The Wave is doing now with his sons)...because my working life left very little time for a relationship I went thru a long period of time where I cruised so I could spend quality time with the person in my life..I then went thru a cruising period where I wanted to see different parts of the world (i.e Venice,Greece, Turkey etc)..then I went thru a period where I wanted to experience different styles of cruising (i.e River Cruising in the South of France, Maine Windjammer Cruise, barge cruise on the Mississippi), then in 2005 right after Katrina I discovered that I could combine my two great passions, cruising and smooth jazz into 1 incredible week per year..the cycle has gone it's full course because this December my son and grandson have invited me to go with them on a Disney cruise which will be my grandson's 1 st cruise..I learned early in life that cruising required a discipline to save my $$$ and also that cruising was a way of decompressing from the stresses of life
Please don't take this the wrong way, but there is someting "cats-in-the-cradle" about your reply .... it brought a tear to my eyem, in a nice way of course. I hope you have an amazing time on your cruise with your son and grandson!

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Queen..actually every time I hear that song if I am driving I have to pull to the side..when you are divorced, it's that much tougher so one learn's to cherish the time spent..the payback comes when your child becomes a parent..cruising was an activity that we really enjoyed doing together when he was smaller because he was never bored and I never had to worry about him during the week..he would check in with me a couple times per day and we had a rule he had to eat one meal per day with me while on the ship..my grandson loves Disney so this was an easy option for us..just us guys (my DIL is not a fan of cruising)
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Queen of Oakville,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
I think that some of you are retired and have the freedom to cruise when ever you want. What motivates you to book?

-the need for a vacation?
-the mantra that you can't take it with you?
-the right opportunity?

Since finding this board, I apparently have become an "avid" cruiser. We used to be a once a year/every few years kind of cruiser.

But for the last little while but by August, we seem to be averaging 2 per year now. For us, the motivation seems to be the need for a vacation fuelled by the right opportunity. That and the fact that for the most part, cruising represents such a good return on your vacation dollar.

I yearn to be like some of you who can just wake up one morning and say "Honey, let's book a cruise!".
I think my major motivation to cruise is a love for the sea and life at sea. In retirement (unfortunately, probably still a few years away), I think that 2-3 cruises per month, each of at least ten nights, will be about right.

Norm.
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Admiral

We cruise to see the world while getting some relaxation in too. I have limited vacation time so we try to use that time effectively. We like to take two two to three week trips a year. At least one of them has been a cruise for last ten years. In a good year we have had two cruises and in some years three (this year is a fluke as we will have 47 nights cruising). We also like traveling/cruising with friends. So, as long as there are places to see and friends to explore these places with; we will keep cruising. Next January, we will finally make it to Antarctica which will be our Seventh Continent.

After retirement, we will have more time but less money; then, I think more of our traveling will be land based versus cruise based.

Marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Yesterday I was speaking to a friend who never cruised before .He asked why I cruise .
Taking 10 days as an average cruise ,my thought is that one would spend at least $180 per day for 3 meals ,that equals $1800. Then there are the 10 shows equaling about $500 . In addition all the ship activities that are free as well as the ability to eat virtually any time you want .That alone has to exceed the daily charge for the cruise .
In addition all of the ports one is free to explore .

We have only cruised 4 1/2 times .We expect to do one cruise this year and as many as possible during our remaining years .
Old August 21st, 2011, 06:49 AM
Familiar Face

Quite a few of my family members and friends have gone on cruises and they have nothing but good things to say about them. It seems much more economical to have a cruise vacation over a land vacation. You do the math. I finally have time for a 2-week vacation but didn't want to do too much time planning, packing and unpacking during the time off. So I thought a cruise might be the ideal answer. I guess I'll see for myself.
Old August 21st, 2011, 07:11 AM
Captain

Our first cruise was back in the 70s, then we didn't cruise again for many years - don't know why.

When we realized how inexpensive cruising is compared to land vacations, we got the bug.

Itinerary isn't such a big deal for us. We mainly do the Caribbean, and in most ports, don't even get off the ship. We have done two transatlantic crossings, and have cruised to Hawaii and back twice.

We're both retired, so we have the luxury of being to cruise whenever we want to. We don't like to cruise in the summer - too many munchkins on board.

Henry43: How did you manage to do 1/2 a cruise?