Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:51 PM
First Mate

Default South Beach Miami

Folks,

I wasn't sure if this should be under hotels, and if it should be moved, pleaase feel free to do so.

We are booked on Eclipse over Thanksgiving. We did it on board Constellation during our recent cruise. I realize that there is a Cruisemates offering during the same period, but I think we will stick with this.

Having priced air out of Hartford at this time, I about fell out of my chair ! So, in order to not have to take out a mortgage for air, we will be flying back the Monday after Thanksgiving.

So what are the questions you ask?

We are flying JetBlue into FLL a day early, and hope to find a hotel in South Beach. Same for the 2 nights when we disembark.

We would like a hotel on the beach. I see that there is a Courtyard on the beach, also the Eden Roc Renaissance. Has anyone had any experience with any of these? Any other recommendations? The Fountainblue (sp?) is too expensive.

Also, where in the South Beach area is the Art Deco part? Can someone give a cross street name for reference?

Finally, I have looked at a car service from FLL to the hotel and back, and also at a shuttle service Trip listed in another post. Trip, do you know if that shuttle picks up from FLL itself? I guess I could call for that matter.

At any rate, any thoughts on the hotel are welcome. While I am not looking to empty the banck account on the hotel, I am not looking for a Bates Motel either.

Again, if this should be moved, please do so.

Thanks in advance,

Sid1962

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I stayed at Lowe's once last March. Incredible property, great location, and very expensive.

If you want to stay at a hotel on the beach you're going to be forced to pay big bucks. The main drag in South Beach is Ocean Drive. The Lincoln Rd. pedestrian mall is a great place for dinner, and strolling, while you people watch.

Collins Ave, running sort of Parallel to Ocean Drive is sort of the center of all the art deco hotels. But, you really don't want to stay as far east as Fountainbleu.

There is a DoubleTree on the beach, that is less expensive than some of the big names. Pretty basic hotel, but puts you in the middle of the action.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Admiral

While there, you gotta' go by Joe's Stone Crab House (if the stone crabs are in season, if not it will be closed). It ain't cheap but it's worth every cent! Only crab claws are served because it's illegal to kill a stone crab. After the claw is removed, the crab is thrown back and regenerates another claw. They are served cold with a world class dressing/dip.

Todd
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Sid, check out this site. Miami Design Preservation League I have been a fan of art deco for many years. We did a walking tour of the district years ago, seeing the apartment building that became part of Gianne Versace's mansion,and lots of interesting hotels and cafes.

The Fountainbleau, recently had a multi million dollar makeover,and has an amazing history. Morris Lapidus,the architect, has an amazing history himself. Maybe one of the discount sites can get you a better deal?

This site might give you some ideas for tours, and, other interesting ideas to spend your days. If you are ever in Miami Beach on Martin Luther King weekend, they have a fantastic Art Deco Weekend. I have been,and loved it.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 12th, 2011, 12:17 AM
First Mate

You could always try Priceline for hotels. Or Hotwire. As for food. The Lincoln street mall is great for sure. Last time I was down there, my friend and I went to World Resource Cafe. Pan Asian. Very affordable bento boxes. But there are plenty of food offerings there as well.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old May 12th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Admiral

last time I was in South Beach, I stayed at the Starlite Hotel for around $100 a night. Its right on Ocean Drive and in the middle of the strip. Its nothing fancy for sure but your only there to sleep.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 15th, 2011, 07:38 AM
First Mate

Folks,

Thanks for all the feed back. Looks like I need to do a little homework still, but at least I now have some parameters to work with.

Todd, several people have mentioned Joes to us. Unfortunately, I am not a seafood person at all, with the exception of fried clams or scallops - go figure. Mrs. S. does like a few more fish dishes, but for me that is it. I do wish I liked fish since it seems that there are so many choices. But just the scent of fish impacts me negatively....even from adjacent diners when we are in public. Probably too much information already, so I will cease, but thank you.

Read and post cruise reviews