CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   So, whatcha doing May 21st? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/382454-so-whatcha-doing-may-21st.html)

Trip May 13th, 2011 12:25 PM

So, whatcha doing May 21st?

21 Reasons Why May 21 Is NOT The End Of The World

Any plans?:)

Lakers Fan May 13th, 2011 03:26 PM

On May 21 Mrs.Henry43 and I are getting together with Manual and Mrs.Manual for lunch and relaxation .

AR May 13th, 2011 09:45 PM

We'll be spending the day in Greenwich, England, right on top of the prime meridian, touring the area with Sherlockian friends from around the world, then at night, listening to a new audio version of the Hound of the Baskervilles, produced in 5.1 surround sound, in the darkened lower level of a Greenwich pub. We will be transported by sound to the desolate environs of Dartmoor, where as Conan Doyle told us, "the powers of evil are exalted." So, you know, if the world ends, we might not even notice.

At least we'll die with happy tummies. The night before we'll be enjoying what looks to be a delicious black tie dinner in the House of Lords dining room.

But I don't think anything will happen. I had my annual physical today and as I was leaving my doctor said, "See you in a year." He's a doctor, so he must know.

Funny sidebar: talking yesterday with a friend who is doing some research on TV preachers. He said that many years ago Pat Robertson predicted the end of the world, assured everyone that the Second Coming would take place on a date certain in the Holy Land. Then it gets better: he decided to send film crews over to duly record the event. There are production notes surviving, which he has seen, where there was great discussion about what film stock to use ("because it's gonna be really BRIGHT!"), whether neutral density filters should be employed, how to find lenses that exhibit minimal flare. As a guy who has shot miles and miles of film for documentaries, this absolutely cracked me up.

The more obvious questions, however, seemed to go unasked and unanswered, to wit: who'll be left to develop the film, and more importantly, to WATCH IT?

You can't make this stuff up.

I've sometimes wondered how these guys can make predictions like this, and then when nothing happens still have millions of people hanging on their every word (and sending them fat envelopes).

Manuel May 13th, 2011 11:02 PM

The world can not end on may 21st because Mrs TM and I have to get together with Henry and his wife.

TM

ToddDH May 14th, 2011 05:24 AM

Geesh, I hope it ain't true. My niece DeAnna and I will be tooling up I-75 in her BMW at probably somewhere around 85 mph as she'll be driving. It'd be kinda' hairy if suddenly she disappeared from behind the wheel as assuredly she's going to go and I hust as assuredly am not. By the time I grab the wheel I'll be history as well. Trouble is, I don't know whether I'll be heading up or down! I guess I'd better take ultra light summer clothes, huh and one of those battery operated misting fans?

Todd

MercedMike May 14th, 2011 10:15 AM

May 22?

Actually the question is, "What will you be doing on May 22?"

I plan to be checking that website to find out what kind of song and dance they are doing ... ;)

Manuel May 14th, 2011 08:08 PM

Mrs. TM says that the world can not end until she sees the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie. LOL

TM

Fern May 14th, 2011 08:42 PM

I'll be here, doing the usual things. Maybe I should go out and buy a lot of "stuff" on credit and enjoy it until the END?

What scares me is that there ARE people who believe this (and other "crazy" things). I just don't get it... . :(

Trip May 14th, 2011 09:28 PM

On the 22nd, I have my grandbaby's birthday party..NO one is going to take that away from me:)

Lakers Fan May 14th, 2011 10:42 PM

A resident of NYC spent $140,000 in ads stating the world will end May 21 ,2011 .

Manuel May 15th, 2011 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1371033)
A resident of NYC spent $140,000 in ads stating the world will end May 21 ,2011 .

If I believed that the world was going to end, I would spend every penny that we have.
Personally I don't beleve that any mortal being has any information about the future.

TM

HawkeyeFLA May 15th, 2011 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel (Post 1371011)
Mrs. TM says that the world can not end until she sees the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie. LOL

TM

Good thing it releases on May 20th right? rofl

Lakers Fan May 15th, 2011 08:56 AM

If the world does ever end it will likely be billions of years from now .I wonder how the CM boards will function at that time .

Luanne Russo May 15th, 2011 09:15 AM

I saw this man interviewed. He is trying to sale a book he has written.

On May the 20th I will give my son a good morning hug. On the 21st I will either give that same son, a good morning, hug, or I will be giving both of my babies a hug. It's a win-win situation for me. The thing is not when it will happen, but will you be ready for it to happen.

Queen of Oakville May 15th, 2011 10:52 AM

HAHA! Loved the slideshow!!!!!

Who says the world is ending on May 21? I missed that part?

Me? I'm driving into Rochester, NY to do spring/summer shopping!

Lakers Fan May 15th, 2011 04:55 PM

Amazingly I've never been to Rochester .

ToddDH May 15th, 2011 09:53 PM

Henry, you haven't missed much.

JUST KIDDING!

Todd

ship2shore May 16th, 2011 01:56 AM

It wont happen: Visa hasnt sent me a notice of how I can pay them in the event of a global disruption.

Pootersdad May 16th, 2011 06:53 AM

The End of the World

The world can't end on May 21st. We have all these cruises booked!:D

Trip May 16th, 2011 07:51 PM

Pooters...my girlfriend and a large group from the gated community, down the Cape will be on the Jewel..I heard it's already fully booked, as usual.

Lakers Fan May 16th, 2011 08:01 PM

I am hoping that retured Special Agent Phillip will figure this out .

katlady May 16th, 2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1370865)

Well it's my 17 year wedding anniversary. I hope sun going super nova is romantic so my anniversary is a good one.;)

Pootersdad May 17th, 2011 07:14 AM

Jewel Repo Cruise

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1371351)
Pooters...my girlfriend and a large group from the gated community, down the Cape will be on the Jewel..I heard it's already fully booked, as usual.

Yeah, these Jewel repositioning cruises sell out very quickly. On the upcoming repo (10-29), all the balcony cabins were sold within a couple of weeks of the opening of bookings. I think most, if not all, cat. D2 cabins for the 2012 repo are gone, and there are only a few Junior Suites left. This upcoming repo will be our sixth consecutive, and there will be lots of people onboard that we have sailed with before.:D

katlady May 17th, 2011 10:56 AM

Here is a question. If the world ends on the 21st of May. What time and time zone will that happen. Because Midnight in California is 5PM on May 22nd in Australia. If I did my math right. Australia is 17 hours ahead of California. So in what time zone is the world ending on May 21st. Because if it's Australia then the world is ending in California on May 20th instead of the 21st and I will miss my anniversary. I'm so confused.:confused:

MercedMike May 18th, 2011 11:04 AM

When??

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady (Post 1371466)
Here is a question. If the world ends on the 21st of May. What time and time zone will that happen. Because Midnight in California is 5PM on May 22nd in Australia. If I did my math right. Australia is 17 hours ahead of California. So in what time zone is the world ending on May 21st. Because if it's Australia then the world is ending in California on May 20th instead of the 21st and I will miss my anniversary. I'm so confused.:confused:

The end of the world comes as a thief in the night and no man knows the time ...

OOOPS, that is the verse they don't accept, isn't it!?

We need to find out where this guy lives -- I am sure God will adapt the End of the World to his personal convenience.

:D:D

Manuel May 18th, 2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady (Post 1371466)

I say that we should just call the whole thing off. LOL

TM

Manuel May 22nd, 2011 09:34 AM

I guess that the end of the world was called off because of lack of interest.

TM

venice May 22nd, 2011 10:11 AM

he's 87:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:..any day could be the last day for him:p:p

Luanne Russo May 22nd, 2011 10:23 AM

The jokes about this man and what he predicted makes me very uncomfortable.

The end of the world, as we know it, and the saddness of this man, who really appears to have believed what he said, is very serious business.

The fact that people drained their bank accounts, sold all their things, says that we have a country in serious trouble.

For believers it was a day to take note of our lives, and if we are truely ready to be judged. Some things are just not funny.

I was actually looking forward to yesterday. If it didn't happen, all would have gone the same. But, if it had happened, I would today, be holding both of my babies at once.

For believers, pray for this man, and for those who are not ready.

I am ready, ARE YOU?

Lakers Fan May 22nd, 2011 05:13 PM

The next prediction is 2012