Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Default The Lampshade !!!

is a NYT best selling book by Mark Jacobson, which is a true story about a lampshade purchased after Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans in the French Quarter Flea market by my friend (who's picture is on page 35) and discovered that the lampshade was made out of the skins of Jewish prisoners removed by Nazi concentration camp doctors during WW2..this incredible book follows how a Holocost detective traced the lampshade from Buchenwald to New Orleans..it's just been optioned to be made into a movie and casting is in progress

great reading either in book form or e-reader format
Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Venice, oddly,when I saw the title of this post,my mind went exactly to that horrible image, before I read a word....I bet this is riveting, but, not sure I can read it...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 20th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Admiral

This is a must read book for people regardless of their religion.
Old May 20th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Trip...my friend whom I have known since 2000, has been working on this project with the author/screenwriter since he found/purchase it right after Katrina..but never said a word to anyone about the project untill after the book was published (he just told me last week)...I am currently reading the book and so far can't put it down..it's really a story about redemption ..my friend told me after I read the book, he will introduce me to the author, so I'm really looking forward to it

I remember reading an online NYT Sunday book review on it and never put 2 +2 together
Old May 20th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Admiral

Approximately 35 years ago the father-in-law of a cousin of mine decided to make a film about Joseph Mengele .The film was the Marathon Man and it "opened a lot of eyes."
Old May 20th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Admiral

I definitely want to read the book!

In all my years of reading of WWII, I've read dozens of books about the Holocaust. It absolutely infuriates me that anyone anywhere can deny it happened.

The only name I've ever read associated with making lampshades of human skin of victims was an extremely sadistic but attractive woman by the name of Ilse Koch the wife of the Commandant at Buchenwald. She started as a guard, then was engaged to him and they married. He was transferred to Madjeneck, an extermination camp while she remained behind at Buchenwald for a couple of years

They were later arrested by of all people, the Nazis, and charged with enriching themselves by taking loot from the prisoners. (Weird justice system, huh?). Anyway he was executed and she was held in prison until the Nazi's released her on "lack of evidence" near the end of the war.

She was arrested by the allies, convicted and sentenced to life. However the American General Lucias Clay commuted the sentence to four years because he said there wasn't enough evidence including she was never proven to be in possession of any such lampshade. She was then later tried by a German Court and sentenced to life in prison. She hanged herself in prison in 1967. The eyewitness testimony was overwhelming.

When you think about it, just being married to a monster and knowing what was going on all the time in my mind, makes her just as guilty as anyone else. From what I've read about her from multiple sources, she definitely should have stretched a rope. After all, she was the supervisor of the female guards, many of whom were themselves hanged after the war.

Todd

Last edited by ToddDH; May 20th, 2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old May 21st, 2011, 04:36 AM
Admiral

.....ding ding ding ding JACKPOT ding, ding,ding....Todd...for you my friend, I will send you a hardcopy of the book autograph by the author..it may take a couple months because I don't know when he will be back in New Orleans..meanwhile download it to your e-reader
Old May 21st, 2011, 07:15 AM
Admiral

Venice my dear friend, you are a gentleman and a scholar......and there ain't a whole lot of us left!

Thank-you my friend!

Todd
Old May 21st, 2011, 08:12 AM
Admiral

Thanks Venice, I just put a hold at the library for it.

Old May 21st, 2011, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Trip..if you really like it let me know and I'll get you an autograph soft copy
Old May 21st, 2011, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Venice..xoxo

Old May 21st, 2011, 09:15 PM
Admiral

One of my most vivid memories (even though I've tried to block it) was a night years ago when my parent's went out and there was a show on Public TV about the Holocaust. I was told not to watch it, so of course I did. It included the skin lampshades (among other horror's) and I was never the same.

Although I already knew that most of my dear Father's family died in the concentration camps, that show really brought it home. I don't think I ever told my parent's that I watched it.

I think, like Trip, I'll get the book from the library and try to read it.

P.S. I just requested it from my library and should have it Monday or Tuesday.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 21st, 2011, 10:22 PM
Admiral

my friend's picture is on page 35
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Admiral

I got a call from the library today, telling me, The Lampshade was waiting for me. I wondered as I did my errands, if I could read this book, on this subject. The woman who checked out the book, told me her Dad, was a survivor,and she couldn't read it. I said, understandadly so.

I just read the prologue, and, I am in it to the end. I am sure along the way, I will learn many things, and that is a good thing..Thanks Venice..xo

Old May 25th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Admiral

one of the really neat aspects of CruiseMates is the great information that we share
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Mine is at the library, waiting for me to pick it up. I'll have to see if I can handle it.

Sea Princess 2014
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Admiral

I am not sure that I could handle it.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old May 25th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I have toured two of the camps, and it is a feeling you never forget. I am not sure I can read this one.

But,,, Venice, I am reading the book you told us about of the musicians on the Titanic. It is so good..
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 26th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Admiral

Luanne..went to a booksigning this past weekend..highly recommend "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett...takes place in 1962 in Jackson, MS about a Black live- in maid that has raised over 17 white children of well to do Southern familes and the secrets that she knows about the families...they are currently making into a movie (that Oprah is backing)

also reading "Rising Road: by Sharon Davies based upon a true story in Birmingham AL in 1921 when a Methodist Minister murders a Catholic Priest for marrying his daughter to a Hispanic Catholic laborer..Hugo Black (the future Supreme Court Justice) is the Minister's lawyer and both the Minister and his lawyer (Black) are members of the White Citizen's Council (KKK)..in the 20's and 30's the White Citizen's Council hated Catholics almost as bad as African Americans

I usually read 2 books at once, this is a rare instance where I am reading 3 at the same time..but it's a good mental break from The Lampshade
Old May 26th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Venice, you certainly very well informed. You read a lot and and come up with many intelligent posts.

I would like to ask you where all the hatred comes from in the US?

I have lived here since 1957, but I am still surprized how much hatred still exists.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old May 26th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Admiral

Default Manuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Venice, you certainly very well informed. You read a lot and and come up with many intelligent posts.

I would like to ask you where all the hatred comes from in the US?

I have lived here since 1957, but I am still surprized how much hatred still exists.

TM
Hatred comes from ignorance
Old May 26th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Admiral

ignorance,fear and guilt....my greatest cruise experience happened in the late 90's on a Greek owned Royal Olympic cruise around the Greek Islands..our tablemates were a couple in their 80's/90's from South Africa who were retired school teachers ...they were teenagers in Germany in the 30's during the rise of Hitler.. they were in love, the problem was she was Catholic and he was Jewish and their parents were able to smuggle them out of Germany to relatives in South Africa before the Nazi's were able to send them to death camps (both their parents were sent to the death camps and died during that time)...they had spent their entire teaching lives teaching Black South African students (at great risk) and at night political prisoners on Robbin Island including one prisoner, Nelson Mandela...when we were on our cruise, Mandela was freed from prision by his captures (guards) ..I've experienced alot of racial prejudice in my life but nothing like what this couple had gone thru, yet they had a positive outlook about the future of their adopted Country and about the strength of Mandela to be able to bring Whites/Blacks together (I've always been fascinated about how a minority can surpress a majority thru fear)..they even told me in the 90's that one day the United States would have a Black POTUS (yea right, not in my lifetime was my response)...people of all races, religions are more alike then different and must seek out common grounds of understanding..hatred is taught to our children by their parents and now today thru mass media and the internet..our cruising tablemates from South Africa taught me you have to believe in the good in people and by one's individual actions (i.e. their teaching Black students when it was against the South African law) is how you change thru education which combats ignorance,fear and guilt..I do have to tell you however,IMHO, that the level of racial hatred that we are seeing manifested thru our political process today, is a last gasp attempt by the folks in power to retain the power ..I however remain optimistic that our children's generation will have found more more common ground ..that's why I love jazz cruising because it has allowed me to meet cruisers from all over the world in a common ground setting..hopefully one year in the near future I will be able to travel to the Capetown South Africa jazz festival and stay with the grandchilden of the couple (who passed away in 2000) I met on the Greek cruise
Old May 26th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Thank you for your in-put Venice. I am a people person and am allways ready to meet new faces and make new friends.
I do hope that we will have more tolerance and less hatred in the future.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old May 26th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Default Black POTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
ignorance,fear and guilt....my greatest cruise experience happened in the late 90's on a Greek owned Royal Olympic cruise around the Greek Islands..our tablemates were a couple in their 80's/90's from South Africa who were retired school teachers ...they were teenagers in Germany in the 30's during the rise of Hitler.. they were in love, the problem was she was Catholic and he was Jewish and their parents were able to smuggle them out of Germany to relatives in South Africa before the Nazi's were able to send them to death camps (both their parents were sent to the death camps and died during that time)...they had spent their entire teaching lives teaching Black South African students (at great risk) and at night political prisoners on Robbin Island including one prisoner, Nelson Mandela...when we were on our cruise, Mandela was freed from prision by his captures (guards) ..I've experienced alot of racial prejudice in my life but nothing like what this couple had gone thru, yet they had a positive outlook about the future of their adopted Country and about the strength of Mandela to be able to bring Whites/Blacks together (I've always been fascinated about how a minority can surpress a majority thru fear)..they even told me in the 90's that one day the United States would have a Black POTUS (yea right, not in my lifetime was my response)...people of all races, religions are more alike then different and must seek out common grounds of understanding..hatred is taught to our children by their parents and now today thru mass media and the internet..our cruising tablemates from South Africa taught me you have to believe in the good in people and by one's individual actions (i.e. their teaching Black students when it was against the South African law) is how you change thru education which combats ignorance,fear and guilt..I do have to tell you however,IMHO, that the level of racial hatred that we are seeing manifested thru our political process today, is a last gasp attempt by the folks in power to retain the power ..I however remain optimistic that our children's generation will have found more more common ground ..that's why I love jazz cruising because it has allowed me to meet cruisers from all over the world in a common ground setting..hopefully one year in the near future I will be able to travel to the Capetown South Africa jazz festival and stay with the grandchilden of the couple (who passed away in 2000) I met on the Greek cruise
The greatest jazz singers ever could not attain their greatness in America because of their skin color .
Old May 26th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Venice said "hatred is taught to our children by their parents". This is what has to stop! My parent's taught me tolerance and that I should judge people by what they do, not by how they look.

Sea Princess 2014
Old June 5th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Admiral

Venice, I'm in about the middle of the book. So far, it's very interesting. Not too graphic or uncomfortable.

You said your friend was on page 35? There's no picture in my book on that page, but there is a picture of Skip on page 33 holding a copy of the P. Times and wearing a straw hat and a skinny tie. Is he your friend?

Anyway, are you in this book?

Fern

Sea Princess 2014
Old June 6th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Admiral

Fern...I have the paperback version, but you are right on page 33 (and a few other pages) are pictures of Skip..the author is on target with how Skip thinks..no I am not in the book but I am trying to get a spot in the movie

just finished the book this weekend on my plane ride back from Baltimore...I thought it was very good and no where near as gruesome as one might think..
Old June 6th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Admiral

I just finished The Lampshade...I think it ended the only way it should end.

Old June 6th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Was it good, worth reading?

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 7th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Admiral

I grew up here in upper East Tennessee. Racism is a product of ignorance and fear. Strangely, I never remembered any racism growing up in this town. It had to be there of course, it's everwhere and involves every race and ethnic group to a greater or lesser degree. It was just so minimal in this town that as a youngster I never noticed. As an adult, however, I now know is was there if suppressed. People I once admired I now have no use for whatsoever.

Strangely, I never was subject to overt racism until I moved to the Hudson Valley. Strangely, the most racism in this area of which I was ever aware came to my knowledge just a few years ago. It's the story of integration in the school system of Anderson County (Clinton) Tennessee where my brother, sister in law, their daughter (Deanna) and brother in law, now live. A documentary was made about the times (the high school at one point was actually dynamited although it was after hours). Today, you'd never know it ever happened. It too, is a story of redemption.

I am so lucky that the people of color that were influential in my development were folks I so dearly loved. I shall never forget a comment by a high school cafeteria worker whom I adored, a woman by the name of Karis Robinson. She once told me when the term "Black" became popular that she absolutely abhored the term. To quote her, "I am so against the term 'Black' because the term denotes a lack of color and honey, if there's one thing I've got, it's color!"

As a result of folks such as Karis and Dora (a woman who was 3/4 Black and 1/4 American Indian and who actually raised my father and his sister while their parents were flittering around Europe and who, while quite elderly at the time, helped my Mother with her uncontrollable twin sons) I became very intolerant of bigotry of any kind. I early on refused to accept any excuse from any quarter for such behavior as for over 27 years I saw low lifes of every ethnicity imaginable and treated everyone as an individual. Whether, White, Black, Jewish, Muslim, Christian, etc., I alway let the chips fall where they may and acted accordingly. I am sure that sometime in my life I was prejudiced against something or someone; anyone who says they're not is not being honest with themselves. It's just that I truthfully never remembered it being that much a factor in either my development or my professional life.

Anyone of whatever ethnicity who tries to use such fears to their political advantage is abhorrent to me, personally. While Heaven knows we have far to go in so many areas, I remain so very saddened by such strife as we have made such great strides in this country over just the last forty years or so yet no one seems to ever acknowledge that fact.

And it's not just a White/Black thing as the Nazis so amply proved. Although I was only about 13 or 14, I shall never forget that famous picture in Life magazine of that Mississippi Sheriff sitting in a court room with a mouth full of chewing tobacco knowing he'd never be called to account for the killing of those three kids. I so wanted to take a baseball bat to that face and that is a frightening sensation, in retrospect, for someone of that age to even experience such anger. When it comes to Black/White racism, I've seen its most overt forms from guilty parties on both sides of the fence.

Don't understand it, never will and take this to the grave....I'll never tolerate it from whencever it comes. Less than one year ago, I ran across such an individual and although 64 years old with one foot already in the grave, I told him to get the hell out of my sight before he got hurt and I meant every word I said. He knew it too and I've not even laid eyes on him since.

I certainly am no hero and God only knows I'm not only not perfect, but I do firmly believe that as a Christian, I know I'm forgiven. I have tried for years to overcome what I refer to as "righteous indignation" but in some ways, I honestly never want that to occur. So you see, I'm far from being a "good person." But they're out there, a lot of 'em and they're the ones I so admire.

Todd