Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:16 PM
Captain

Smile Well?

Well I see that the great rapture was alot to do about nothing. Wonder what all those people that were predicting the end was here have to say today? They seem to be kind of quit today probaly off counting all the money they managed to scam all the suckers out of. Wonder what they will come up with next?
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Question What to say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
Well I see that the great rapture was alot to do about nothing. Wonder what all those people that were predicting the end was here have to say today? They seem to be kind of quit today probaly off counting all the money they managed to scam all the suckers out of. Wonder what they will come up with next?
Both of the principal websites are shut down, inaccessible.

While I have no doubt many scammers got into the deal, I am sadly afraid that the leaders, in misguided sincerity, attracted and misled a great many sincere followers to do very foolish things.

Actually many sociological studies have been done on this subject. One I read many years ago was called, "When Prophecy Fails." Although many believers realize that they have been misled and leave the movement, others will run to another similar movement and find a new date to anticipate, and still others will stick with the discredited leaders and search for some explanation and some new idea from them. Sociologically it is an interesting study. Socially it is a sad tragedy.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:44 PM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
Both of the principal websites are shut down, inaccessible.

While I have no doubt many scammers got into the deal, I am sadly afraid that the leaders, in misguided sincerity, attracted and misled a great many sincere followers to do very foolish things.

Actually many sociological studies have been done on this subject. One I read many years ago was called, "When Prophecy Fails." Although many believers realize that they have been misled and leave the movement, others will run to another similar movement and find a new date to anticipate, and still others will stick with the discredited leaders and search for some explanation and some new idea from them. Sociologically it is an interesting study. Socially it is a sad tragedy.
THis is very interesting I wonder why they would hang on? There must be some explanation for this.I can see leaving the movement but to hang around or find another one there must be some sociologial reason for that behavior!
Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I must admit, I would love to hear what they are saying today.....I know I took all this with a grain of salt, but it made us wonder, if there was anything to it...just saying???

I would just like to hear what they have to say now....Yea, too bad a lot of scammers had to get their hands in on it, very sad...Hate all this doom and gloom, there is already way too much in this world we live in.

But, you can always book a cruise and look forward to that, right!

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:02 PM
Admiral

The reason that you don't hear from them is that they were lifted up and taken away leaving the rest of us sinners to continue as always. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Default Sociology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
THis is very interesting I wonder why they would hang on? There must be some explanation for this.I can see leaving the movement but to hang around or find another one there must be some sociologial reason for that behavior!
Well, our psychology professor was a proponent of the theory of Cognitive Dissonance. People have an amazing ability to reconcile two opposing beliefs by moving each toward the other a bit. I believe Rev X who says the world will end tomorrow. The world does not end tomorrow. Rather than accept the fact that I was wrong about Rev X I have to find some psychological accomodation for the conflicting fact, and people do this in interesting ways. So I accept that Rev X got the date wrong but, rather than losing belief in him entirely, I believe that he is recalculating (like my GPS lady does) and will be right the next time. This prevents my mind from being too bent by the failure of a prophecy I believed in.

I am sure my professor explained it better than this, and I understood it better way back when I finished Psych 101 ... but that is the gist of his theory.

I think ....

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html