CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Your best non-cruise vacation (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/382666-your-best-non-cruise-vacation.html)

Lakers Fan May 24th, 2011 10:17 AM

Your best non-cruise vacation

We had 2 :

1) Touring the Canadian Rockies and having the opportunity to walk on a glacier

2) Driving cross country in Canada and visiting every province .

Marc May 24th, 2011 11:51 AM

South African Safari

Hands down our best land trip was our safari to Africa in 2006.

We flew Virgin Upper Class JFK-LHR-JBG and then on to Port Elizabeth. We spent three days driving the Garden Route and exploring the Little Karoo. We then spent four days in Cape Town staying at a fantastic hotel; the Cape Grace. Next was Rovos Rail to Pretoria; two nights on train with only 37 passengers; 35 of them in our group. Next we flew to Singita which is a private game reserve in Sabi Sands for four days of pure luxury and fantastic game sightings. Our room was over 2100 sq ft with our own swimming pool and all food and drinks included. We ended the trip with a few days at Victoria Falls where we not only walked along trail in front of falls and flew over the falls in a helo; we also took an excursion to Namibia, Botswana, and Zimbabwe to see the only place in the world where four countries meet at a single point.

Three weeks seing China including Tibet was fantastic as were our two weeks in Jordan and Israel but the safari was probably the best.

Cruznut2 May 24th, 2011 12:49 PM

Hawaii, I did a 10 day tour of Hawaii in 1985. Absolutely the most beautiful place I have ever bewen to. I would love to go again but if I do I will be on a ship.

Laura

Trackypup May 24th, 2011 01:05 PM

3 week trip to France. Burgundy, Loire Valley, Normandy, Provence and the Riviera

Manuel May 24th, 2011 08:17 PM

I would have to say that my vacation in Hawaii in 2008 was the best.

TM

CruisinK n J May 24th, 2011 09:29 PM

Your Best Non-Cruise Vacation

Sometimes, the short ones are the best. My favorite at present is a two-night trip to San Diego in a hotel overlooking the bay and having lunch and or dinner at the Fish Market.

Judy

Bruce Chafkin1 May 24th, 2011 11:43 PM

Back in the 1970s, just after the 747 was introduced, PanAm sold a First Class Around the World ticket for $6,000. But they also offered a special First Class Standby fare for $4,000.
They gave you a book of blank First Class Tickets and let you write your own.
There were no maximum or minimum stays on the standby ticket, and First Class in those days was never full, so I never got bumped.
I usually took 2 or 3 of those every year, spending anywhere from one week to two months to fly around the world.
The frequent flyer miles really piled up quickly.

I have never experienced such an exciting vacation for such a small amount of money.

MichaelCVC May 25th, 2011 05:12 AM

contact me

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 (Post 1372682)
Back in the 1970s, just after the 747 was introduced, PanAm sold a First Class Around the World ticket for $6,000. But they also offered a special First Class Standby fare for $4,000.
They gave you a book of blank First Class Tickets and let you write your own.
There were no maximum or minimum stays on the standby ticket, and First Class in those days was never full, so I never got bumped.
I usually took 2 or 3 of those every year, spending anywhere from one week to two months to fly around the world.
The frequent flyer miles really piled up quickly.

I have never experienced such an exciting vacation for such a small amount of money.

Didn't you steal lief anderson's act
I'm doing now on the Yangtze with Dick

MichaelCVC May 25th, 2011 05:15 AM

OLD CRUISE DIRECTORS NEVER DIE THEY SAIL DOWN THE YANGTZE IN CHINA

hi BRUCE !
DICK Carpentier SAID YOU STILL LIVE IN MIAMI
I'm working with Victoria Cruise this season in China as a CD doing the hat game on the MV Prince Shanghai to Chongqing ancient china
cos we are both ancient but they love westerners
Dick is on the Jenna and got me a gig here this year
how are you doing?
arent you about 60 ish next month that was ya uncle Jay's age when I met him
do you know whatever happened to Paul Kenny Bar manager NCL
anyway drop me a note when you can
best regards
Michael Crowe
mnccc@ yahoo.com

LisaK May 25th, 2011 09:35 AM

so i would have to say that our best non-cruise vacation would have to be our honeymoon way back in 1984 we stayed at Couples Resort in Jamaica

MercedMike May 25th, 2011 03:49 PM

Compromise

I wanted to go to Egypt.
DW wanted to go to the Sahara Desert in Morocco.
So we compromised.
We did both!!

It was a wonderful trip although long. Check out our trip report and pictures at Review of Egypt Tour and Nile Cruise

venice May 25th, 2011 07:51 PM

we spent a week in early September 2003 at a small B&B in Santorini Greece and actually attended a small family Greek wedding..it was incredible

we spent a long Valentine's weekend at at B&B on Whidbey Island outside of Seattle..it was incredible

spent 5 days driving across Country with my son to the United States Air Force Academy for his junior year..great father/son bonding vacation