Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Admiral

Default Tipping

I can understand tipping on cruise ships and for various personal services on land, but what is with the tip jars that I am finding more often at the cashiers in resturants on land? Do they deserve money for the efficient manner in which they take my money? Without the cash register, most of them couldn't even add and subtract. :o:o:o:o:o
Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Admiral

I have not seen that.

Maybe they should tip the customers as well.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Admiral

The only place I've seen tip jars have been at "service establishments" such as fast food counters and the money is for those who are actually working behind the counter preparing meals, etc. If they're now turning up elsewhere, I've got to agree with Manuel.

Todd
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Admiral

I just turned 65, so I am thinking of geting a T shirt that says ( tip me I am a poor senior citizen )

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old May 30th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Admiral

You are only as old as you feel ,I am 24
Old May 30th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Admiral

If you are as old as you feel, I want to feel 65 so I can retire. Manuel, I will take one of those T-shirts in a medium, please

Tipping is a pet peave of mine. I remember at our wedding (after we'd paid alot of money per person which included gratuity) there was a tip jar on the bar (it was an inclusive bar and inclusive of gratuity) not a cash bar. DH was livid, and made the banquet hall manager remove the tip jar.

I see "tip" lines show up everywhere. One of my peaves is for takeout. You know if you go to a restaurant and order take out food, the receipt almost always includes a tip line.

We just had dinner on the weekend at an upscale restaurant which was attended by about 30 people. The restaurant applied an automatic 18% grautity to each of the individual bills. When the bills came out, they still had a tip line. Not realizing it, I tipped 15% on top of the 18% that was alreayd applied. They were half-way through processing the bills when someone noticed that an automatic gratuity was already applied.

There are a few places that "tip" lines bother me; one of which is at the spa where I get my massages. My massages are from a registered massage therapist. As far as I am concerned, she is a professional (and she owns the company) and a gratuity is inappropriate.

I find tip jars for coffee baristas to also be inappropriate. I find they crop up more and more in service establishments.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old May 30th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Queen, I don't mind tipping in some places. However if you have to tip it does not fit my way of thinking.
For example, a couple of years ago we took a carriage ride in Central Park (New York ).
When I asked the driver wht the price was he said $35 plus tip. I would rather he said 40 or 50. I figure that if I have to pay some extra money it no longer is a tip.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old May 30th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Oh, I agree!

Chicago Tourist Trap #1.
We had just left dinner at a nice restaurant, and wer walking back to the Del Monte on a (too dark) street. We get stopped by a rather large man (tall, strong).

"Where you folks from?"

"Toronto"

"Oh, we love Canadians here".

"Sir, let me get that spot on your shoe" [there is no spot].

No, that's okay"

'Really, sir, no problem" and the spray is applied.

DH immediately pulls back his foot (without a clue as to what has been sprayed on). "I don't want a shoe shine," he says.

"There is no cost sir, it's free" he says.

He could have sprayed water on his shoes for all we knew in the dark. Then he held out his hand and said "$20 gratuity".

We didn't have $20.00 on us. It's quite typical for us that we travel without cash. We pay everything by credit card. We scrounged together and found $7.00 in cash. DH was willing to get into a battle with him, ..... but me [fearing that he may have had a gone or friends nearby] .... handed over the 7 dollars and we booted it back to the hotel.

[ahem, is this what ws meant by taking a thread off topic ]

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old May 30th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Captain

I see tip jars at McDonalds now. They don't seem to care its against company policy. Im starting to think its a pity factor at play. Tipping for counter service really bothers me. They even fill it up with change at the start of the shift to make it look like everybody tips them.
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
I see tip jars at McDonalds now. They don't seem to care its against company policy. Im starting to think its a pity factor at play. Tipping for counter service really bothers me. They even fill it up with change at the start of the shift to make it look like everybody tips them.
Well, now I've heard it all

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Admiral

There are tip jars in my area at every fast food restaurant but at every convenience store as well.
Old May 30th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Captain

I wonder how many here have thought this out. It is bizarre to watch those who think nothing of dropping a couple of thousand dollars on a cruise and budgeting shore excursions in the hundreds whine about working class citizens who don't earn enough money to cover food expenses daring to ask for an extra buck. We are the winners and lucky ones in this world, and it isn't just because we are smarter or more deserving.

The person behind that tip jar at McDonalds earns minimum wage. Could you live on that? In my day, high school kids worked those jobs. Today, it is is moms with kids.

Human decency alone demands a little compassion ... as if anybody reading this is going to miss that extra couple of bucks. Instead, it seems some take pride in spitting on the less fortunate and gloat about not helping them. That I cannot understand.

I tip generously and often. It doesn't hurt me one bit.
Old May 30th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Admiral

A teenager who lives across the street from me works in a store where there are tip jars .He said the store manager puts out the jars and collects the money at the end of the day.The employees never get the money .

That reminds me of tourists coming to NYC and putting money in large drums thinking they are donating to the homeless but in reality these people rent the drums for $100 and pocket whatever they collect.
Old May 31st, 2011, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Aidan I applaud your humanity.

I see it differently, I suppose.

I've worked those jobs in retail and in fast food. I've made minimium wage. I've never asked for a handout or pity.

I worked hard, put myself through school, worked my way up, and i make a decent living. I give to charities and i support my personal causes. I can't give to everyone that has a tip jar out. Like Henry said, in some cases, the tips aren't even going to the people that need it.

Why should I be called on to feel pity and subsidize? Shouldn't the onus be on the employers to pay more? Shouldn't your government do more to raise the minimum wage?

Just out of curiousity, what is the minimum wage right now in your local areas? Here are the minimum wages for the province of Ontario:

Minimum Wage | Ontario Ministry of Labour

The studen working at McDonal's is making 9.60 an hour at least. The single mom doing the same job is making 10.25. Liquor servors are making 8.90.

Just how much money is a bar raking in every night? It would not hurt THEM one bit to pay their staff an extra dollar or two per hour. Would an extra hundred bucks or so even make a dent in their profits? Same for McDonalds.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:10 AM
Captain

It makes you wonder why they pay the employees so little, and still charge me $4.50 for a Big Mac. (Actually, I cant believe I pay $4.50 for a Big Mac... must be the Soylent Gr... I mean special sauce)
Old June 3rd, 2011, 11:53 AM
Admiral

This thread came to mind while I was driving on a short trip over the last few days.

Not tips, but charity.

It's becoming quite common place here, that everywhere you go, you're beign asked to round up your bill and make a donation to some charitable cause that they support (Costco, Walmart, Stapes, Tim Hortons). Everyone is asking to round up yoru bill, or for a dollar, or for more.

If you donated everywhere you went, this would surely add up over time. I visit an average of 2 to 3 stores each day.

I suppose what get's me is that Walmart will then make some corporate donation to some charity as a publicity stunt; when they should make the donation out of their corporate coffers to start, and not rely on their customers to do it for them.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old June 4th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Captain

I am also bothered by the "sports teams" bagging your groceries for tips in the grocery store. It becomes a forced donation to the customer, when the store should be "paying" them for their labor (since they gave the baggers a forced day off). For one: this is fund-raising, not charity, and has no place in a store.
Old June 4th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Admiral

I've never seen that here (the day is coming, I'm sure!).

Our sports teams typically fund-raise outside grocery stores by selling nuts, chocolate, donuts or something of the like. Sometimes they just ask for money.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old June 4th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Admiral

One of my pet peeves is the Big Box Store or the Big Restaurant advertising that they'll donate X amount of dollars for each "gadget" or each amount of $$ they sell. We all know that they're going to donate X no matter how many "gadgets" or $$ they take in, and they'll get the tax deduction.

I make my donations personally to the charities I support. To make it "cruise realated" we also tip liberally to the cruise staff .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 5th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
I am also bothered by the "sports teams" bagging your groceries for tips in the grocery store. It becomes a forced donation to the customer, when the store should be "paying" them for their labor (since they gave the baggers a forced day off). For one: this is fund-raising, not charity, and has no place in a store.
We have various groups(hospices etc) at stores esp at Christmas packing groceries for donations. Our stores do not employ bag packers. I have no issue with it; however I do most of my grocery shopping now on-line and have delivered straight to my kitchen.

Annie
Old June 5th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Admiral

What a confusing subject....I was under the impression that Americans tipped virtually everyone for everything, certainly appears that way on cruise tipping threads!!
Old June 5th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Tipping is an interesting subject. I think it is a personal thing.. Some people like to tip and see it as part of the cost on an activity.. Others would rather slip away without any tip.. More often than not tips are the primary source of income for waiters and cocktail waiters... I tip if the service is poor our something went wrong I might tip a smaller amount, keeping in mind did the wait person have control of the problem.
Old June 5th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Familiar Face

ha look at me, i'm replying to a post and i have only been a member for a day :eek: I am getting brave.

we have had tip jars here in the UK for as long as i can remember and i'm in my early 50s my parents also remember them when they were kids as do my grandparents. they are mainly in corner shops or chippy's but it was only ever at xmas time, the jar or box was decorated with xmas paper and people would put their loose change into it. It gets shared out between the staff on Xmas eve.

However nowadays resturants will have a dish by the till every evening, again to put in loose change in. this is in addition to the tip you would give at your table and mainly for the bar staff. It helps to pay the taxi fare home of the staff on late shift. In the UK there are people we tip once a year such as the binmen, milkman, the coalman, postman and paperboy. yes it seems mean i know but it's classed more as a xmas box then a tip. maybe others will know different

Pen x
Old June 5th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Admiral

Pen, we tip the mail carrier and the paper carrier every December. We no longer tip the "binmen" (garbage men, here), because they just drive a truck by and dump the bin into the truck (they never actually get OUT of the truck, even if there's a spill!).

Here's an old memory for you-I remember when the garbage men pulled up in front of our house and walked to the back yard, picked up the garbage cans and emptied them into the truck, then brought them back to the backyard !

It is an interesting subject!

After reading another post from you I'd like to tell you that it's best to leave the "auto-tip" on. If you remove the auto-tip and tip each person there's no guarantee that they'll get the tips. From what I've heard, they must share the tips with other's unless the auto-tip is left on.

It's been a while since I learned that, so if anyone has a different opinion, please let me know @

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 5th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Admiral

A lot of movie theaters in NYC have jars asking for money to be donated to charities and they always seem to be full . A few years ago on a local news show a theater employee was interviewed and said that the Manager put in X amount of money every day to encourage people to contribute and at the end of day it was divided up among the employees .
Old June 5th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Pen, jump right in! We're a good bunch ... and welcome to Cruisemates!

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991