Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
The airline provided me with the names of the passengers seated in front of me but I chose not to pursue the matter legally .
How long ago was that Henry? I'm surprised they would do that .... due to privacy laws and all.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old August 21st, 2011, 08:03 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
How long ago was that Henry? I'm surprised they would do that .... due to privacy laws and all.
Were the addresses given too?

I think the best way to prevent the person in front of you from reclining is to have your tray down and then place a larger non-empty water bottle or a harder object in between the tray and the actual seat. That should prevent the seat from reclining on you in most cases. But if that person is persistent and strong enough he may end up breaking it.

Personally I hate it when the person in front of me reclines the chair on me when I'm working on my notebook computer.
Old August 21st, 2011, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Lots of people are disgusting; that's a given.

But any air crew member will tell you that everybody on the plane has the absolute right to recline their seats as far as they will go. That's the way they were built and adjusted, and that's how they may properly be used.

I know it sucks, and I'm as annoyed by these boors as anybody else, but that's the way it is. You can ask them to give you a break, but they don't have to, and the crew has to support them, not you. If you can figure out a way to block the recline, more power to you.

So as completely annoying as these people are, all this talk of lawsuits or other forms of redress is just silly. It's not against the law to be an a**hole, and we have to live with that truth.
Old August 21st, 2011, 11:08 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Yep: If the seat reclines then it is OK to recline it. Does that mean you should not ask before doing it or have the common sense to notice that the person in back of you is 6'4" and it may cause a problem? No but it also doesn't mean you can't do it.

I put the blame on the airlines. Granted they are in rough financial shape and their bottom line profits are in the red or barely in the black but they have put as many seats as they possibly can into a plane. Because of this, if you are over 6" tall you are going to have issues if someone puts their seat back. I'm 6'2" and when someone reclines their seat I just straighten my legs out under the seat in front of me.

Also: The size of the "average" passenger has increased while the seat room has decreased. With these two things comfortable coach flying is a thing of the past.

I guess I'm lucky. I can fly with little problem. I just go into my "zone" and sleep through the majority of most flights. I also don't get worked up over a crying child and I can block out most noise and conversation. I've only had one "seat kicker" in all my years of flying and a stern look and a request to the parent was all it took to have the child stop kicking my seat. BTW: It is inevitable that the person in back of you will bump your seat so don't go overboard if, during the course of the flight, that the person in back of you jostles the seat a few times.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 21st, 2011, 11:18 AM
Admiral

I suppose it's OK to do virtually anything you like within the law, but that doesn't make it right to do so without considering the feelings & comfort of others.
Old August 21st, 2011, 11:35 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy

GO TO SEATGURU.COM for information on airline seats, remember, an airline can always change equipment.
EMERGENCY ROW SEATS DONOT RECLINE..................So reserving a seat just behind the Emergency row may be a option.

If you want more room, you can always fly Business or First Class.
Old August 21st, 2011, 12:18 PM
Captain

Default Airlines and requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Yep: If the seat reclines then it is OK to recline it. Does that mean you should not ask before doing it or have the common sense to notice that the person in back of you is 6'4" and it may cause a problem? No but it also doesn't mean you can't do it.

I put the blame on the airlines. Granted they are in rough financial shape and their bottom line profits are in the red or barely in the black but they have put as many seats as they possibly can into a plane. Because of this, if you are over 6" tall you are going to have issues if someone puts their seat back. I'm 6'2" and when someone reclines their seat I just straighten my legs out under the seat in front of me.

Also: The size of the "average" passenger has increased while the seat room has decreased. With these two things comfortable coach flying is a thing of the past.

I guess I'm lucky. I can fly with little problem. I just go into my "zone" and sleep through the majority of most flights. I also don't get worked up over a crying child and I can block out most noise and conversation. I've only had one "seat kicker" in all my years of flying and a stern look and a request to the parent was all it took to have the child stop kicking my seat. BTW: It is inevitable that the person in back of you will bump your seat so don't go overboard if, during the course of the flight, that the person in back of you jostles the seat a few times.

Take care,
Mike
Hey Mike

I am 6'2" tall, no problem with the leg room in the seats with most airlines.
I always worry about a 300 + pounder being seated next to me.
The airline issues extended seat belts for that reason, the problem is encrochment.
You purchase your seat and you end up with less then 90% use of the seat.
The airlines should set standards for identification of oversized passengers. Seats can be placed in the back row 1.5 times wider & can seat a person up to 6'9" tall, first on last off the aircraft.
To adjust for lost revenue, the airlines can charge 50% more or deny boarding to a passenger requiring a seat belt extention.
Taxing all passengers is the less desirable option with Federal requirements imposed on all airlines.

Noise can be mitigated with noise cancellation headphones.

Last edited by Dannyboy; August 21st, 2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old August 21st, 2011, 01:14 PM
Captain

Exclamation Legal requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
My thinking is that to sue would be looked upon in the courts as a "nuisance" case .
You would be required to PROVE negligents and show damages.
Old August 21st, 2011, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Within reason a person can't do much about their size, a seat is reclined by choice.
Old August 21st, 2011, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy View Post
You would be required to PROVE negligents and show damages.
There are better ways to get revenge .