Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2011, 11:22 PM
Admiral

Default Crime In Bermuda

I read today that a cruise passenger was assaulted in Bermuda last tuesday on a sunny afternoon . This was the very first I've heard abouve daytime crime in Bermuda . Am I being naive to believe that its safe to walk around ?
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In this port crime is not rampant, and it is surprising when you hear of it I agree. There is an area, where it is dicey though. A Canadian girl was murdered there several years back by a local. She was not a cruiser. When I saw the program about it, it really was the first time I had heard of any major crime there. I would not be worried but just be aware, as you would anywhere.

Was this what you were referring to, or, another assault? Not a passenger though.This is all I found..
http://bermudasun.bm/main.asp?Sectio...rticleID=52494

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; June 22nd, 2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:14 AM
Admiral

No ,this was last Tuesday ,June 14 at 4PM . A 49 year old man from Boston was on his way back to a cruise ship when he was attacked . From the description he gave to the police it was a guy they had been looking for . He had attacked cruise passengers in the past.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Henry, I just read the final report on another site that stated that the Bermuda officials were able to determine that it was actually a drug deal gone bad, that the passenger was trying to buy drugs and ended up in a bit of a fight and since he did not want to press charges and no other person had seen what was going on no charges to be filed against anyone.

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Default Different occurrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb1050 View Post
Henry, I just read the final report on another site that stated that the Bermuda officials were able to determine that it was actually a drug deal gone bad, that the passenger was trying to buy drugs and ended up in a bit of a fight and since he did not want to press charges and no other person had seen what was going on no charges to be filed against anyone.
This was a 49 year old resident of Boston ,MA .He was doing a walking tour and was on his way back to his cruise ship .He saw a guy walking in his direction and assumed nothing .As the guy approached him he knocked the tourist to the ground and grabbed his wallet . While on the ground the tourist grabbed the guy by his expletive deleted and pulled him down to the ground .They were both punching each other and the mugger was able to get away.The tourist reported the incident to ship security as well as to a Homeland Security Officer .The latter contacted the Bermudian Police .They took his statement and based on a physical description determined that the mugger was someone they were searching for as he had been preying on tourists .
Old June 28th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Admiral

Default You are right ,I was wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb1050 View Post

I was just speaking to friends who were in Bermuda on the day that supposedly occurred ,it was a bad drug deal.