Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Default Famous cruisers

Have you ever met a famous person on a cruise ?

We never have but know people who have .
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

On my jazz cruise I got to talk to some famous players, but I didn't really talk to them that much.

On my next music cruise I am going to resolve to talk to more people.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Default Famous Cruisers

Some yeaers back, I met Neil Sedaka on a cruise.

Judy
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Admiral

Neil is a great guy .Many years ago his parents and mine were neighbors in Brooklyn.
Old June 24th, 2011, 01:57 AM
Admiral

I met Eric Lapointe on a Carnival cruise years ago, he is well known in Quebec as a French rock singer!!
Old June 24th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

On my first cruise I met Mamie Van Doren. She was traveling with her son. We were on the Kon Tiki tour in St Thomas snd they were on it also. She was great really nice and posed for us to take pictures.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 24th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Admiral

Paul and I share the common bond of having the pleasure of sailing on full charter smooth jazz cruises where you have the opportunity to meet and interact with many of today's most popular smooth jazz artists..not only do you see them perform several times during the week, you have the opportunity to interact with them in Q/A sessions, may be fortunate enough to have the artist and their families at your table for dinner one night at sea or share a shore excursion with them or they are your across the hall cabin mates and on several jazz cruises, I've had the opportunity to participate in music jam sessions with them..my most cherished was when I did a duet with Grammy Winner Patti Austin ..afterwards I gave her some tips about how to be a better singer ::::..last October on our SuperCruise, Teena Marie performed on the lido deck at midnight and was incredible and I had the opportunity to compliment her on her performance..3 weeks later she died, so it turned out to be her last live performance
on several of my normalcruises there were several famous people but I could not get anywhere near them to have any interaction
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:11 AM
First Mate

Default Famous people!

I met the former President Carter and his wife,Neil Sedaka,Regis Philbin who was very rude.

MTL
Old June 24th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I met Johnny Tillotson, on the Westerdam, under very embarrassing circumstances!!

I am surprised about Regis..We had a chat room member years ago, who was on the Crystal, with Regis & Joy. He said Regis was a joy,and Joy was a pia and a snob!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 24th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Admiral

in all fairness, if famous people are paying their own way and have not been asked by the cruiseline to do any public appearances, then they should be accorded the same privacy as the rest of us..of course they should also cruise on higher end luxury cruise lines where many of their fellow guests are probably more famous (or successful and richer) than the celebrities and thus don't stand out

when:::: Halle Berry:::: and I take our annual smooth jazz cruise vacation on Carnival, her body guards make sure no one bothers us unless I say it's ok

I can only guess what their fellow cruisers thought when they saw Newt G. and his current wife on a 14 day cruise in Greece in the middle of the primary season..if I were on it, I would not have interacted with them unless Newt's wife was purchasing gold jewelry at the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul and I would ask her to p/u a piece for Halle..if we were table mates for dinner, I would not discuss politics (after all he's on vacation which by dictate sends the message he's trying to get a rest from it) and instead discuss the value of Tiffany Jewelry stock (actually I bet he would be fascinating to chat with about a motley number of topics that have nothing to do with politics)

if a celebrity is nice , consider it a blessing on a cruise..if they are too nice they would never have a restful vacation
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

If celebrities want privacy,and although they do deserve it, it just won't happen for the most part on a cruise. People are fascinated with celebrity, and, some will even ask for a picture, while a piece of steak is on it's way to the star's mouth!!

I think if a celeb is working on a cruise the feeling maybe, it's easier to go up to them and ask for a picture or autograph. A celeb just cruising, by the end of the cruise, people may have found the novelty has worn off, & everybody who cared, now sees them as just one of the crowd.

A private yacht, is the best route for total privacy.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; June 24th, 2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Trip..good point:-) I guess the ultimate insult for a celebrity would be if no one recognize him/her or didn't try to take a picture or gather an autograph...that would be the tip off for that celebrity to do a reality show
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Default Celebrities and privacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
in all fairness, if famous people are paying their own way and have not been asked by the cruiseline to do any public appearances, then they should be accorded the same privacy as the rest of us..of course they should also cruise on higher end luxury cruise lines where many of their fellow guests are probably more famous (or successful and richer) than the celebrities and thus don't stand out

when:::: Halle Berry:::: and I take our annual smooth jazz cruise vacation on Carnival, her body guards make sure no one bothers us unless I say it's ok

I can only guess what their fellow cruisers thought when they saw Newt G. and his current wife on a 14 day cruise in Greece in the middle of the primary season..if I were on it, I would not have interacted with them unless Newt's wife was purchasing gold jewelry at the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul and I would ask her to p/u a piece for Halle..if we were table mates for dinner, I would not discuss politics (after all he's on vacation which by dictate sends the message he's trying to get a rest from it) and instead discuss the value of Tiffany Jewelry stock (actually I bet he would be fascinating to chat with about a motley number of topics that have nothing to do with politics)

if a celebrity is nice , consider it a blessing on a cruise..if they are too nice they would never have a restful vacation
As I've posted before ,Vanessa Williams lives next door to one of my closest friends .Many years ago I was introduced to her along with other friends of mine .She was very gracious but we understood that we should not be calling on her on future visits to our friend .
If Venice and Halle ever go seperate ways I will try to speak to Vanessa on his behalf.
Old June 25th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Admiral

Henry..thanks for your efforts on my behalf..remind Vanessa that we have Syracuse University experience in common (I was a couple years ahead of her)
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I can only guess what their fellow cruisers thought when they saw Newt G. and his current wife on a 14 day cruise in Greece in the middle of the primary season
Too funny. Apparently Newt and the missus are very fond of a certain restaurant in McLean that we also like called Assagi. We saw them there a few months ago, and they were there again last night. I said to the friends we were with, "Well, I guess it's dinner at Assagi and breakfast at Tiffany's." Then, by coincidence, friends of our friends showed up and we were introduced. "Did you see Gingrich over there?" one of them said, and I repeated my line. They laughed and went over and told it to the other people at their table. They laughed. One thing led to another and pretty soon it was shared with four or five tables. On the way out I was tempted to relay it to him, but I'm too nice a guy. I guess the rigors of campaigning are just too much for him these days, and he prefers to spend his time dining in McLean.

Or, just as likely, his credit line for jet charters ran out and he can't afford to go anywhere.
Old June 25th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Admiral

AR,

What wonderful line, not to mention that is probably the reason all of his campaign staff hit the trail. Says a lot about somebody.

Todd
Old June 25th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Default Syracuse

Quote:
Henry..thanks for your efforts on my behalf..remind Vanessa that we have Syracuse University experience in common (I was a couple years ahead of her)

One of my relatives ,a Syracuse alum was just added to the coaching staff of the Columbia University basketball team .
Old June 25th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Admiral

AR...too funny :::: considering the lengths of the primary/Presidential campaign periods, I'm surprise more politicians don't step away from the campaign trail to take extended breaks to be recharged..when I was younger I never took vacation time, as I got older I realized how important it is to step away..that's why I loved cruising..no one could reach you (back in the 80's), you could rest, sleep, recharge and enjoy quality time with my GF without distractions

On my upcoming Capital Jazz SuperCruise on the Carnival Valor Eric Benet will perform and be onboard all week..he's a very popular R&B singer, but is more famous (or infamous)for once being married to Halle Berry who came home early (from her James Bond movie) to allegedly discover him entertaining two younger versions of Halle dressed in her famous Catwoman Outfit he is currently engaged to the former (and incredibly beautiful) wife of Prince...all the artists do a Q&A session while onboard but out of respect to him, I don't think that topic will come up..he has moved on just fine and Halle and I are very happy ::::
Old June 26th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Venice--I agree completely that the insanity we go through to elect a president and a legislature is, well, insane. I am convinced that it is one of the reasons the best and the brightest seldom aspire to high office. Getting there is not half the fun. We make it so difficult and expensive to even seek office that some of our best people do a personal cost/benefit analysis and conclude, "No Way!" Shame on us.

That said, if Newt is as bright as everybody says he is (including himself), then as we say here at CM, "you should know the cruise you signed up for." You should also know that appearances count for a lot, and he's just not presenting himself as a serious candidate.

It depresses me that so many circus acts run for office in the first place, and then behave so irresponsibly when they get in.
Old June 27th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Admiral

with reality tv these days ..being infamous is more lucrative then being famous..who the hell is Snookie and why is she commanding big $$$$ to be a commencement speaker..what could she possibly say that anyone in their right mind would take seriously
Old June 27th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Apparently, I will be sailing with Danny Bonaduce on FOTS. It's a group cruise for him and his radio fans.

I really hope it doesn't interfere with our sailing.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old June 27th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Who is Danny Bonaduce?
Old June 27th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Admiral

The little red-headed kid on Partridge Family, more recently known for drug addictions and reality tv. I think he is a radio personality now.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old June 27th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Admiral

the real scary part is that he has fans that are willing to pay a premium for this cruise to hang out with him..maybe they are hoping for a Partridge Reunion concert while onboard
Old June 27th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Admiral

There was a news story earlier this evening that Florence Henderson had an affair with the Hon.NYC Mayor John Lindsey .
Old June 28th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
the real scary part is that he has fans that are willing to pay a premium for this cruise to hang out with him..maybe they are hoping for a Partridge Reunion concert while onboard

I need a "like" button for that post!

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old June 28th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Admiral

Henry..it was very kind of you to leave out the rest of that story..what folks won't say to sell books
Old June 28th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Paul..I notice you have the Rock Legends cruise on your tag line..are you and your charming bride planning on going on it and performing with the house band?..if they have an official poster can you bring one back for me? are you planning on doing a daily report back to us and doing a Q&A with some of the legends..sounds exciting
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Default Venice

Quote:
Henry..it was very kind of you to leave out the rest of that story..what folks won't say to sell books

The only negative I've ever had about John Lindsay was that one year when he was campaigning he came to a playground in Brooklyn and interrupted a basketball game I was participating in .

As far as what Florence Henderson stated ,I agree with you that it was done to sell books.
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Default Rock Legends

Quote:
Paul..I notice you have the Rock Legends cruise on your tag line..are you and your charming bride planning on going on it and performing with the house band?..if they have an official poster can you bring one back for me? are you planning on doing a daily report back to us and doing a Q&A with some of the legends..sounds exciting

That would be a blast of a cruise