Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Admiral

never had a problem in 35+ cruises..we order different entrees on purpose and then share, and if I have an issue with an item, I just leave it on my plate and fill up with dessert..never has been an issue made by our wait staff..too many options to try to be concerned
Old June 25th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
never had a problem in 35+ cruises..we order different entrees on purpose and then share, and if I have an issue with an item, I just leave it on my plate and fill up with dessert..never has been an issue made by our wait staff..too many options to try to be concerned
A major difference here, I would say that the VAST majority of UK cruisers wouldn't DREAM of ordering more than one of anything & I am sure the staff would be amazed if anyone did.
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I once sent back a steak on Celebrity Meridian. I asked for rare and it came out well done and tough as shoe leather. I simply said they must have given me the wrong steak by error as I ordered rare. I got back what I ordered.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 25th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Admiral

John :::: point of clarification..my cabin mate orders one entree, I order a different entree..then we put a taste of each entree on a butter plate and share with each other..I could never eat 2 different entrees in one sitting..I will however, have two cold strawberry soups on the night it's on the menu
Old June 25th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
A major difference here, I would say that the VAST majority of UK cruisers wouldn't DREAM of ordering more than one of anything & I am sure the staff would be amazed if anyone did.
John,I agree completely - I think that is one of the biggest cultural differences between the US and the UK.

Annie
Old June 25th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
John,I agree completely - I think that is one of the biggest cultural differences between the US and the UK.

Annie
Erm...that & the um.. tipping thing...& calling trousers pants!
Old June 25th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Erm...that & the um.. tipping thing...& calling trousers pants!
Ah JTD - one aspect where we differ - I am more than happy to follow the tipping culture of any country I visit. The 15% gratuity is no issue to me.

Annie
Old June 25th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Trip, Rob and I love Smokey Bones. And, yes, one can find a "buy one get one free" coupon at least every other week online. (usually if you dine during the week and not the weekends.) You and your husband should join their club. Once you hit a certain dollar amount, the meal is practically free. Also, they notice if you haven't been there in awhile and will email you a coupon. Now, back to the topic, yes, I have sent food back on at least one occasion because it was not hot enough. Basically, I am not a complainer and especially, on weekends, when restaurants tend to be busier, the food might not be as best as it can be. I find the best deals for dining out during the week, so they can fill the restaurant. Even with coupons, restaurants still "make a profit".
Old June 26th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by balabusta View Post
Even with coupons, restaurants still "make a profit".
Not necessarily true. I own a restaurant and coupons can be good for some places yet horrible for others. I generally stay away from coupons but never get into those coupon booklets.

I calculate I'm better off spending $15,000 on advertising than giving away $15,000 in product.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 26th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Admiral

Thomas, thanks for the information about restaurants! In today's difficult economy, I am sure that you have to make some tough decisions about where you put your advertising dollars.
Old June 26th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Ah JTD - one aspect where we differ - I am more than happy to follow the tipping culture of any country I visit. The 15% gratuity is no issue to me.

Annie
Annie, we don't differ the cultures differ.
Old June 26th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Default Last night...

We went out to dinner last night, a good quality Indian (Bangladeshi) very nice all round ....except for MrsJTD's which she did not like & probably wasn't what she ordered (who knows what it is sometimes). We said nothing for several reasons, 1) if they did her something else we would have finished ours, 2) not confident the returned dish would given back unadulterated,3) not wanting to make a fuss. All four of us thought is was a bad idea to complain.
Old June 26th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Admiral

A funny but interesting story.

We steam crab legs in our place and we know how long it takes to properly cook them. Now, frozen crab legs from Alaska are already fully cooked just like you buy them in the supermarket so we are essentially thawing them and heating them.

A customer ordered the crab leg dinner and after receiving them sent them back saying they were "too dry". Ahem, you can't dry anything out IN STEAM!!!!! We popped them back in the steamer for 2 minutes and sent them back to the customer. He said they were perfect and what did we do? I told him our normal cooking time is 8 minutes in the steamer but we only cooked them 7 minutes.

He has been in probably 40 - 50 times since then and always tells the server to tell the chef to only steam his crab legs 7 minutes, although we always steam them 8 minutes because we KNOW it takes 8 minutes. Yet he loves them and orders them everytime. No complaints since that one time.

Regards,
Thomas