CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Do you ever send food back ? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/383313-do-you-ever-send-food-back.html)

Lakers Fan June 24th, 2011 10:39 AM

Do you ever send food back ?

Do you ever have food served in the MDR that you do not like the taste of ? If so ,do you tell the server or do you just eat it ?

In all my years of dining out I have never once complained about food to the waitress or waiter .

Moiraine June 24th, 2011 10:41 AM

I have never sent anything back. I usually like everything.

Trip June 24th, 2011 11:26 AM

I have on occasion. I don't make a big deal of it, and don't ask for a replacement. I just move on to the next course. I will never starve:)

Henry, I am curious. Do you mean, you have never had a bad meal, or yes you have had a bad meal, but, chose to keep it a secret?;)

Lakers Fan June 24th, 2011 11:30 AM

Many years ago the husband of one of my wife's friends told us that he had a summer job working at one of NY's most famous restaurants and if a diner sent food back what he and the other kitchen staff would do-use your imagination .

Trip June 24th, 2011 11:35 AM

So, that's why you have suffered in silence all these years, with perhaps a only a handful of bad meals?

Paul B June 24th, 2011 11:56 AM

Once, on a Carnival cruise, when the soft shell crab turned out to be a hard shelled crab!:) Half the dining room sent it back and replaced it with another entree. This was the only bad Carnival food that I was ever served in 11 cruises.

Queen of Oakville June 24th, 2011 01:12 PM

Not a huge fan of lamb, I never order it.

On Grandeur, a tablemate order the lamb shank, and it looked and smelled divine. I seriously wanted to ask her for a taste.

On Eurodam, I ordered the lamb shank and it was terrible. It was completely dry. I sent it back, and said it was no what I thought it would be. i asked for something new.

Moiraine June 24th, 2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1377938)
Many years ago the husband of one of my wife's friends told us that he had a summer job working at one of NY's most famous restaurants and if a diner sent food back what he and the other kitchen staff would do-use your imagination .

I've heard the same thing Henry. I'd rather eat what I have, or not eat it and wait for the next course.

johnthed0g June 24th, 2011 02:55 PM

Same here!

I never send food back nor complain to waiters...even if it is totally inedible, I am sure they have their ways....

Trip June 24th, 2011 03:02 PM

Guess I just don't get that. :confused: There is a way to say you are dissatified, without sending the waiter or the kitchen staff into a tizzy and doing frat boy things to your food ..you know that old honey and vinegar saying?

I certainly don't think everyone who complains, gets back a tainted dish.

Do you really?

johnthed0g June 24th, 2011 03:17 PM

Maybe not.. but I ain't gonna risk it!!

Aerogirl June 24th, 2011 03:26 PM

Ok I have to put my two cents in here. To imply that a cook or food server will do something bad to your food if you sent it back for whatever reason is really unfair. There are thousands of server and cook that would never dream of doing something like this. Yes, there are a handful of people that would but it’s no different than saying every cop is crooked or every teacher is lazy there’s a few bad apples in every profession.

I have been in the food business for over thirty years and take major offence that people really think that little of a cook and food servers. Restaurant workers are some of the hardest workers in the work force and most of the time are not given the respect they deserve. I have waited tables and have been subject to being treated as a second class citizen by some arrogant costumer because I was just a waitress, little did they know I have more money than most of them and only waited table to make a little extra cash for nice vacations or to just get out of the house. So if you unhappy with your meal send it back without the fear that the cook or server doing something to it, it’s very unlikely that would happen.

Moiraine June 24th, 2011 03:37 PM

I've personally known a couple of people who did that if a person did send something back. I know most people don't do that Aerogirl, so sorry for the offense, but you never know if you are going to get that one in a thousand.

Doug S June 24th, 2011 03:40 PM

When I am cruising I often order an item or 2 that are well out of my usual comfort zone just for the experience. Some are good, some, not so much... if I REALLY don't like something I just set it aside and move on. Waiters I've had are usually so good that if it appears I don't care for something, they go out of their way to bring other items anyway, even if I say its not necessary.

Worst regular meal entre I had was a bad steak on Princess, but it was a bad cut, and nothing they did in the Galley gonna improve on that. But rest assured that I didn't go hungry...

johnthed0g June 24th, 2011 03:41 PM

I am not saying they "all do it" I am saying if some do, as you admit, I would rather not chance it, especially on a ship where there is an alternative. I don't send anything back, anywhere.. ever.

Trip June 24th, 2011 03:54 PM

On a ship, the staff is used to people trying more than one dish,and perhaps asking for another because that fact. In the galley, for someone to taint a plate would be so much more difficult to do, due to the pace of getting the meals out, and, the amount of workers around.

Sending a dish back in a restaurant, due to not liking it, is a harder propostion, than, having it nor cooked properly,say.

I think the tone of the diner with the complaint sets the wheels in motion. My daughter is and has been a p/t waitress for a long time. A good rapour goes a long way, in this situation.

With the cost of dining out, if by chance something arises, I don't get why anyone would be a martyr, for the sake of politely stating the issue with the dish. The odds are overwhelmingly in the diners favor.

My old neighbor used to eat the entire lobster,then complain it was not good:)

johnthed0g June 24th, 2011 04:09 PM

Not liking a dish is no reason to send it back, if you order something that you don't like that's tough surely? If there is something wrong with it then you of course could complain, I don't, I just don't go back. Not a martyr just don't want to eat something I was not expecting.

Trip June 24th, 2011 04:14 PM

John, on a ship, if you get something not to your liking, ask for another..It happens every meal, and, it's not considered bad manners. How many times have you seen a waiter at your table, see a meal not eaten and they always ask, can I get you something else? They want you to be happy and well fed. No one looks askance at this.

Paul Motter June 24th, 2011 04:17 PM

Wow... I am amazed.

Have you ever watched Hell's Kitchen? Have you ever noticed how many things get sent back?

I send things back pretty often if it is not what I expected or if I think they underdelivered on the promise. My wife is the absolute pickiest in the world, though.

She likes her food piping hot and will not accept food that is not exactly that. In restaurants she probably sends her food back most of the time, but she just asks them to heat it up. The problem is that you can't just heat food up easily (I have tried to explain this to her many times to no avail), so they end up cooking again, and then she has to sit there for 15 minutes while I eat alone. This has happened to me literally dozens of times.

But when you are paying $25 for an entree, as you will in a nice restaurant, it had better be cooked and delivered perfectly. You aren't paying that money for just the raw ingredients, you are paying for the experience (not to mention the tip you pay).

I also agree with AEROGIRL here that it is completely unfair to think the server will do anything to the food (the cook might, just kidding!) - remember, the waiter is working for YOU, not the restaurant. You tip them and so they want the food to be as good as possible, too.

I was in a nice restaurant here in PHX one night where the entree cost about $35. I got it and the fish & sauce & one side were perfect, but the small portion of loose veggies was undercooked. I just asked the waitress to bring some more well-cooked veggies, saying they were underdone.

But she took my whole plate and came back ten minutes later with everything way overcooked (someone put the whole thing in the fire again). The owner was so mad at her he comped our entire meal (almost $100) and he absolutely would not allow me to tip her. I tried and she said he wouldn't allow it.

But that is the thing about a "foodie" restaurant, it isn't just the food - it is everything about the meal.

I consider cruise ships to be in the same class as these gourmet restaurants, so I will definitely send something back if I am not happy. But to be clear, I am happy most of time, it is not a habit of mine to send food back.

My wife though.. (sometimes it is embarassing, but there is nothing I can do if she is not happy).

johnthed0g June 24th, 2011 04:51 PM

I don't think the MDR's on the ships I have been on are ''foodie heaven'', I think they are OK. I think the staff are not great experts just people trained to perform tasks, I think they do get abused & ill-treated by some which MAY cause SOME to resent SOME passengers & behave in a less than satisfactory way perhaps. To be honest I have never had a waiter ask why something remained unfinished, they often ask if it was OK & everyone just says ''yes fine''. On Uk ships I would say it would be considered most unusual to order more than one dish, I have only once been offered an extra portion & never asked for one. Maybe this is an "English" thing. Sorry but I believe that staff will do things to the food of those who they think have upset them, they work for months on end & there may be a cumulative effect of minor complaints. I believe this, & unpalatable as it may be to food professionals it is possibly naive to think this doesn't happen.
You can send your dinners back to be reheated or re cooked & I won't, it is nothing to do with English reserve, just playing safe!!

Mike M June 24th, 2011 05:01 PM

Of course: If it is not properly prepared or not prepared the way it was ordered. I will send back something if it is overcooked, burned, undercooked or something is spoiled. I will also send back meats, in a high end restaurant (i.e. Morton's) if they are tough, sinewy or over seasoned.

I have worked in high end restaurants and have close friends who are chef/owners of restaurants and one who is a VP of the Culinary Institute of America. I know what is cooked well and what is not. I also know the difference between something tasting "off" and something I don't like. If I order something and the spice combination or flavor profile is not to my liking I may just try it and just say "Well, I guess I won't order that again." If I am offered a replacement then I may take them up on it but I will not force the issue.

A cruise ship is different. If you don't like the taste of your dish you can just ask for something else. These dishes are not prepared "Ala-minute" they are set up in groups and the waiter just needs to go and get another.

The truth about sending something back and the cook will do "something" unsanitary to it is so overblown that it is ridiculous. It is like the story about someone finding a rat in their Kentucky Fried Chicken. Did it happen? Probably, but now just about every city has the story of someone finding a rat in their chicken at the KFC on Whatever Street. Has someone spit in the hamburger that someone sent back? Probably, but the chance of it happening are about the same as you getting in a car accident today.

Any decent, high end, restaurant would never dream of doing something unsanitary to the food just because it was sent back. If you keep sending something back that is properly prepared you may get told off but your food isn't going to be spat in or rubbed on the sole of the cook's shoe. I know when I was cooking back in "the day" if I or any other cook had done that they would have been fired but not before the Sous or Exec Chef had an accident with the fryer and you were the victim. :D

I have told and I have seen the Head Chef tell someone to leave the restaurant when they have sent back orders and replacements that were perfectly fine. Yes: restaurants have "black lists".

A true professional does take it personal if they send out something that isn't right. However they want to show you that they can make it right.

The one exception is when someone orders a "Well Done" steak or other meat. I've seen some pretty bad "burnt offerings" come out when this happens. Especially when a truly well done steak is sent back because it is too rare. :shock: (Watch out Kuki) ;)

Now: In fast food restaurants or somewhere like "Denny's" or anywhere that the head man in the kitchen could easily have been working at the Jiffy Lube last week then your chances are greater that they "might" do something but they are still remote.

The best advice I can give anyone is: If it isn't right send it back. The Chef will appreciate it because he would much rather have you happy and telling everyone what a great meal you had rather than leaving unhappy and telling everyone how bad it was.

Paul: I would have your wife make sure to tell the waitress, when you order, that she wants the food piping hot and if it isn't she will send it back. It will lower the chances of her having to send it back and keep the waitperson on their toes because, in most instances, if the food is cold it is the waitperson's fault. They didn't pickup on time.

Take care,
Mike

Trip June 24th, 2011 06:39 PM

I just came back from a dinner, where I sent my entree back. How's that for timing?? Btw, I got a buy one get one entree free at Smokey Bones, on a website I just found today.The have all types of restaurants and discounts, If anyone wants it, please pm me.

No probelems till I got my entree,and it was luke warm. I, like Paul's wife, hate when my food is not hot, so back it went, and, it came back perfectly fine. My server was a doll, and all went well.

At dinner,I told Bruce about this thread. He told me, his pal Charlie, would never say a word, and deal with whatever issue he had. I still say, I don't get it.

Queen of Oakville June 24th, 2011 07:09 PM

I think, especially on a ship, food is NOT cooked to order. If you send back your pasta (let's say there is a hair in it) ... the server goes back to the pasta, and there are a hundred plated pastas read to go. It's no inconvenience to the waiter, and he wants to keep you happy. IMHO.

I once sent back a steak in Chicago. I was there for "THE" chicago steak experience. How upset was I when my $50 steak, ordered medium rare, turn up almost medium-well? There was no way I was forkign out $50 and eating something I was not pleased with. Like Trip suggests, I coyly showed the waiter my steak, and asked nicely if that was "medium-rare" in this establishment because if so, the next time I would order it rare. He agreed that it was over-cooked, and quickly took it away. Of course, the replacement was brougth out by the manager, who stood over me while I cut into it to make sure it was okay!

In my opinion with residual heat, it is very easy to overcook a steak, but hey, they are the experts, and if I order a $50 steak, I want it cooked right!

Kuki June 24th, 2011 08:45 PM

Having been "in the business" for many years (I also have a nephew how owns one of the most highly rates restaurants in the city), I can tell you the "stories" about what the cook or kitchen will do to the food of "difficult" customers is JUST THAT... stories!

Everyone talks big, and says they would do this or that. As Mike said... any restaurant worth anything, view it as part of the business, and would never tolerate anyone taking action.

On ships, the wait staff always make a point of telling you that if something isn't satisfactory to let them know.

In a restaurant, if I didn't like the taste of something I ordered, I'd just push it to the side, and pay for it, and remember not to order it again.

On a ship, I'm invited to send it back and get something else, no questions asked.... and I have. In fact the good waiters will notice you not eating something you ordered and almost beg you to let them get you something else.

Fern June 24th, 2011 09:07 PM

The only time I've sent something back was on our last cruise. I ordered the "mussel's in the shell". Several other people at our table also ordered the same.
When the food came there were many more shell's than mussel's :shock:. We all asked for the "always available" steak as a replacement. This was finally done after we were asked (many times) to re-order the mussels, they would "fix" it.

It was really pretty strange... .

Mike M June 24th, 2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern (Post 1378021)
The only time I've sent something back was on our last cruise. I ordered the "mussel's in the shell". Several other people at our table also ordered the same.
When the food came there were many more shell's than mussel's :shock:. We all asked for the "always available" steak as a replacement. This was finally done after we were asked (many times) to re-order the mussels, they would "fix" it.

It was really pretty strange... .

Fern,

Do you mean that most of the shells were empty? If so those were some overcooked mussels to fall out of the shell. If they were that overcooked I wouldn't have wanted the ones that were in the shells.

Take care,
Mike

Lakers Fan June 24th, 2011 09:31 PM

Every cop crooked ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerogirl (Post 1377961)
Ok I have to put my two cents in here. To imply that a cook or food server will do something bad to your food if you sent it back for whatever reason is really unfair. There are thousands of server and cook that would never dream of doing something like this. Yes, there are a handful of people that would but itís no different than saying every cop is crooked or every teacher is lazy thereís a few bad apples in every profession.

I have been in the food business for over thirty years and take major offence that people really think that little of a cook and food servers. Restaurant workers are some of the hardest workers in the work force and most of the time are not given the respect they deserve. I have waited tables and have been subject to being treated as a second class citizen by some arrogant costumer because I was just a waitress, little did they know I have more money than most of them and only waited table to make a little extra cash for nice vacations or to just get out of the house. So if you unhappy with your meal send it back without the fear that the cook or server doing something to it, itís very unlikely that would happen.

Its amazing how a thread becomes political .

I am not castigating . I was told what I posted by one person who shared his experience .
A family friend of ours was the Maitre'D of the 21 Club in NYC .He stated in his 40 years expereience he never saw any member of his staff do anything bad BUT he has heard of many stories .

Aerogirl June 24th, 2011 11:07 PM

Henry,
I wasnít trying to make it political however I hate the thought that people think itís a common practice in the food service industry when you have a problem with you food.

johnthed0g June 25th, 2011 05:04 AM

There is definately a difference between US & UK expectations & levels of service...in MY experience.
Also I would have NO IDEA what the difference was between "medium rare, medium, & medium well" as long as I don't have any blood (GROSS) on my plate it's fine.
I know people, particulary in the food business, don't like to think that these things happen but I think they do. A load of people who are overworked & according to what is said, paid virtually nothing are quite likely to react "badly'' to a customer who is a pain, onshore or on land.

anniegb June 25th, 2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerogirl (Post 1378036)
Henry,
I wasnít trying to make it political however I hate the thought that people think itís a common practice in the food service industry when you have a problem with you food.

I speak of the UK only here; we have had a few documentaries broadcast where it was clearly demonstrated that some food was tampered with.

I think it all depends on how the customer handles the situation. I have only ever seen one meal returned and my dinner partner oozed charm with the waiter and there was no issue whatsoever.

I think it may be the case of not what you say but how you say it?

I have a habit of never finishing any meal served - the portion sizes are too large. I am often interrogated on food left which irks at time esp as I ask them to serve me a smaller portion - they were warned in advance. :)

Annie