Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default I Do Not Watch The News Because It Is All Bad....

When I hear someone say that I know that person really does not watch the news. I watch between 4-8 hours of news or news based programs daily. Yes, a lot of it is bad but there is a lot of good news out there too. Recently a group of Girl Scouts met a girl who was born with no fingers. The girls decided to help. They worked hard and finally designed a device to help this girl grip a pencil. The device worked and is now patented. If memory serves me the Girl Scout Motto is "Do A Good Deed Daily" These girls did a good deed that will eventually help many..Is that not good news? What about the citizen who risked his/her own life to save another person, I think that is good news. What about the citizens who readily donate to a family in need? That is good news. The firemen that recently extracted a kitten from a pipe. This took hours of delicate "surgery" to the pipe to do this without hurting the kitten. More good news. What about Captain "Sully" who landed a plane on the Hudson River after a bird strike. All passengers and crew survived with only minor injuries. That is good news. Thanks to this man and quick thinking and very skillful flying. That too is good news. There are many many items of good news every day. So if you think there is nothing on the news that is good....Think again!

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Laura, I so agree with you! I'm just sorry there is not more good news reported but alas, it for some reason appears to be human nature (at least as reagards the reporting of the news) to focus on the "train wrecks" of life! Those of us who have had careers in law enforcement and other emergency responders understand such a proclivity all too well.

Todd
Old June 28th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Admiral

Laura..I concur with your concept..I think we have to make an effort to seek out good news and support the media when they do report good news..everyday I go out of my way to find a good news story
Old June 28th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Admiral

When I buy a newspaper I read from the back to the front .I am more interested in sports and entertainment than the news and one thinh I NEVER read is financial news .

The ONLY newspapers that I ever read solely for news were :Village Voice ,East Village Other and a few canadian papers.
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Captain

Good evening, here is the news for September 11, 2001: over 10,000 buildings in New York City were not hit by airplanes today. 6,396 commercial aircraft took off in the United States today and were not hijacked. From Washington, 93 government buildings were not struck by aircraft today. Etc.

Would this kind of "happy news" really help anybody?

Why?
Old June 29th, 2011, 03:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

The focus on that terrible day was on the terrible events of that day, as it should have been. So many lives were lost and that is a horrible reality. We all mourn the losss of those precious lives. That day will be forever remembered by the citizens of the United States.
My post was not to diminish the importance of the tragedies of this world. I was merely trying to point out that some miss the good things in the world. The girl scout story was a wonderful example of this. These girls set out to help one little girl with no fingers. The device they invented helped this child. She is now able to hold a pencil. The device is now patented and will help many people with similar handicaps. I for one think that is a wonderful thing.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain