Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Default Karaoke

I want to try Karaoke on my forthcoming cruise .Mrs.Henry43 feels I will make a fool out of myself .She forgot that I auditioned for the Horn and Hardarts Childrens Hour(singing competition) .

How daring are you ?Will you try something regardless of the fact that you may not be successful ?
Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Of course. I've spent a lifetime trying new things. Those who never stretch lose a part of their soul. In fact I've often wondered why so many people cruise time after time on the same ships to the same places.

However, I don't bother with things that I KNOW I can't do. Singing would be one of those things. I won't go near Karaoke even as an observer because I know that there are people, whether because of alcohol or a misplaced assessment of their ability, have voices that are like fingernails on a blackboard to me, and I do not find the experience charming. I love music of many varieties, but I can't abide poor performance.

In fact, I've even complained to cruise directors when Karaoke is being held in a part of the ship that is a thoroughfare that you're more or less forced to enter to get where you're going (like midships lounges). Have it someplace where people aren't forced to listen, even for a few minutes.

I think as long as the idea appeals to you and it's in an isolated place, knock your socks off. You probably won't be any worse than some of the others there.
Old June 29th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Henry, karaoke is not about singing like Tony Bennett, or Frank Sinatra. It's about having FUN, and trying something new. Yes, it'd be nice if we all could perform like Dean Martin when we get up on stage, but it's common knowledge that we can't, and we don't go to karaoke expecting everyone to be a professional musician. I'm really sorry that some of us annoy AR when at karaoke having a GREAT time, but I would imagine that he does, or writes things from time to time that annoys others as well. Bottom line, get up on stage, and enjoy yourself. I'll bet you're a lot better singer than you give yourself credit for, and if not, I'll bet you have a fantastic time pretending to be your favorite singer. (I'll bet the lovely Mrs. Henry43 will enjoy watching you have fun too.)

"SKY"
Old June 29th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm guessing that AR doesn't watch singing competition programs like "American Idol" either. I've been told I need a bucket to carry a tune, but if my DW dared me, I'd give karaoke a shot, just for the fun of it. That's part of why we go on cruises, to have fun!
Old June 29th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Admiral

I aim to try
Old June 29th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Admiral

I loathe Kareoke with a vengeance, I cringe with embarassment at the performances, either from the complete dreadfulness of the participants or from the people thinking they has nailed it when that were awful too. Little better were the 'polished' performances by those who had practised their one song. Having "fun" to me means enjoying what I am doing, making a complete fool of myself isn't enjoyable....but if people like it it is harmless.
Old June 29th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Its something I've always wanted to do .I don't know how many more decades I shall be around so I think I will try it .
Old June 29th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Its something I've always wanted to do .I don't know how many more decades I shall be around so I think I will try it .
Will you practice an "act" or just "go for it"
Old June 29th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Admiral

I'm a chicken and never done it up to this point. Our DJ for our block party has a machine and the kids love to do it, I'm not that brave but Henry I say go for it!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old June 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Admiral

do it your wife will be your biggest cheerleader and sitting in the front row bragging about you (make sure she takes a picture and post on these boards)..you will never in life see your fellow cruisers again so what do you care what they think...you will probably attract your own groupies (which is the real reason why your wife doesn't want you to do it) :: :: have fun..go for it

interesting on the Capital Jazz SuperCruise the nightly karoke bar is packed with fans and we hear some awesome talent..every once in awhile one of the performing artists will join a singer onstage when they are doing a song which is incredible to watch the expression on the face of the person singing...I've sang with multi Grammy Award singer Patti Austin on a cruise..she's got potential to make it ::::::
Old June 29th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
I'm really sorry that some of us annoy AR when at karaoke having a GREAT time, but I would imagine that he does, or writes things from time to time that annoys others as well. "SKY"
Sky, it would be my greatest pleasure to know that I write things that annoy you. And you reciprocate in kind. It's a draw.

Let the record show, however, that I never recommended that anyone refrain from holding Karaoke sessions or that anyone refrain from going to them, singing their hearts out, and having a GREAT time. Let the record also show that I encouraged the OP to do exactly that if he wants to.

I am really sorry that you're annoyed that I don't want to hear poor performances, no matter what the excuse, but that's just the way it is, and somehow I think I have just as much a right not to listen to it as you have to love it. I didn't ask for much, just isolation. A reasonable request in my view.

Can't imagine why you have a problem with that. Why don't you just live and let live?

Oh, and RTALLEN, go to the head of the class. I have never, ever watched American Idle--er, Idol--or any of its evil spawn. There's far too much good music available at every turning to put up with a latter-day Gong Show.

And johnthed0g, let's have a drink sometime and listen to some good tunes.
Old June 29th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Admiral

Default Spontaneity

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Will you practice an "act" or just "go for it"
I will just "go for it" .
Old June 29th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Admiral

Default Recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
do it your wife will be your biggest cheerleader and sitting in the front row bragging about you (make sure she takes a picture and post on these boards)..you will never in life see your fellow cruisers again so what do you care what they think...you will probably attract your own groupies (which is the real reason why your wife doesn't want you to do it) :: :: have fun..go for it

interesting on the Capital Jazz SuperCruise the nightly karoke bar is packed with fans and we hear some awesome talent..every once in awhile one of the performing artists will join a singer onstage when they are doing a song which is incredible to watch the expression on the face of the person singing...I've sang with multi Grammy Award singer Patti Austin on a cruise..she's got potential to make it ::::::
In 1957 I went to one of those record your voice arcades in Manhattan for the purpose of recording a song .If you play the record you will hear "when does the recording begin ,oops ,I guess it did ."