CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   What's your favorite candy? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/383416-whats-your-favorite-candy.html)

RTALLEN June 29th, 2011 02:47 PM

What's your favorite candy?

M&M's? Gummy bears? Jelly Bellies? Hershey kisses? Do you take candy with you on your cruise? Despite having some of the richest, most decadent desserts imaginable available, do you sometimes think that nothing can take the place of a few Frango Mints (or whatever your favorite is?) :D:D:D

nlb1050 June 29th, 2011 03:37 PM

don't take any candy with us. I love just about any candy with dark chocolate.

Lakers Fan June 29th, 2011 03:58 PM

I never eat candy

Doug S June 29th, 2011 06:54 PM

Hot Tamales, Gummies, Dark Chocolate, Reeses Cups, Mounds bars... its all good. And yes, I have been known to take a stash on the cruise, especially after they quit leaving a mint on my pillow...

venice June 29th, 2011 07:33 PM

Peter Paul Mounds bar..when I was an alter boy in the Church I use to give them up for lent..my Dad use to pay my allowance with Mounds bars

I remember when they were a dime and big..now they are a dollar and about 1/2 the size

Trip June 29th, 2011 08:29 PM

What are frango mints? I love Boston baked beans, and 3 Musketeers. Once another cruise chatter and I, exchanged local candies. We had never before tasted what we were sending each other. I sent her Necco Wafers,and she sent me Cherry Mash...I made out better in the swap;)

Oh,and don't hate me, but, I love those orange circus peanuts!:shock:

Aerogirl June 29th, 2011 08:49 PM

Lemon Heads & Kit Kat bars!!

Aerogirl June 29th, 2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1378829)
What are frango mints? I love Boston baked beans, and 3 Musketeers. Once another cruise chatter and I, exchanged local candies. We had never before tasted what we were sending each other. I sent her Necco Wafers,and she sent me Cherry Mash...I made out better in the swap;)

Here ya go Trip!
Frango - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

anniegb June 29th, 2011 09:02 PM

I always pack a stash - Raspberry Ruffles, MB Bars, Whoppers and some Scottish tablet at a minimum ; I can't even get most of that in England :)

Still trying to find a way of bringing Irn Bru

Annie

ToddDH June 29th, 2011 09:30 PM

Actually I have two favorites. Chocolate of course and Butterscotch. My mother used to go insane when people would refer to it as "Peanut Brittle." She really was famous for it.

It has only two ingredients, butter and light brown sugar (you can get away with one stick of butter and one of margarine). However, it is very difficult to make. You start with two sticks of butter (or one of margarine) and a box of light brown sugar poured over the butter in a cast iron frying pan. Prior to that you lay walnut pieces on cookie sheets. You turn on the heat and start stirring and don't stop. When the ingredients combine and turn a certain shade of light brown and start bubbling, you remove it immediately and pour the candy in streams over the walnuts on the cookie sheet. You only have seconds to pour the candy so the sheets better be right there. It then hardens and when it cools you break it apart willy-nilly.

Here's the rub. There's no "candy thermometer" involved simply because you don't have time to use one. You literally have seconds to realize it's done (even she used to make batches she had to throw out). Literally, a few seconds too soon and it's too granular. A few seconds too late and it's burnt. She was famous for it, but although everyone I know has tried it, none have yet to succeed. If you have about forty bucks to throw away, go ahead and try. If you succeed, the results are spectacular.

Todd

Manuel June 29th, 2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug S (Post 1378815)
Hot Tamales, Gummies, Dark Chocolate, Reeses Cups, Mounds bars... its all good. And yes, I have been known to take a stash on the cruise, especially after they quit leaving a mint on my pillow...

Celebrity and RCL still leave chocolates on your pillow.

TM

Angela Z. June 29th, 2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1378829)

I absolutely love those! (and Swedish Fish, twizzlers, chocolate.....)
Angela Z.

Bernie by the sea June 29th, 2011 09:55 PM

Twizzlers, mary janes, and M&M's

twizzlers for the quick fix, mary janes for a long chew, and M&M's for the quick chocolate fix

Trip June 29th, 2011 09:58 PM

Hi Bernie, love to see you back posting! Next time I come visit, I will bring you a bagful of goodies:) Nothing like a fresh twizzler;)

balabusta June 29th, 2011 11:25 PM

I can't resist Jelly Bellies, chocolate twizzlers, and Hershey's almond bars. You can say that I definitely have a "sweet tooth".

Mike M June 29th, 2011 11:29 PM

Chocolate!

Though I am a chocolate snob. There is nothing worse than eating "crunchy" chocolate that was not tempered correctly or it is so old that it has lost its tempering.

You don't eat chocolate you let it melt in your mouth.

Recently I came across (at Costco of all places) mango caramel chocolates with sea salt. Of course, as many things at Costco, they are no longer there. They were wonderful and I even asked my chocolatier friend to make me a batch. His were good but not as good as the ones at Costco.

Trip: I can't agree on the Circus Peanuts. They are one of the two of my least favorite candies. The other is "Peeps".

Take care,
Mike

Snoozeman June 30th, 2011 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel (Post 1378836)
Celebrity and RCL still leave chocolates on your pillow.

TM

Sorry Manuel, but they were the first to stop the practice. No mint for you!
It's been about three years now that they stopped.

Twizzlers are my favorite, but I can't eat them anymore. Yes I usually buy candy in the shop on board Carnival ships. I can't wait to see the new one on the Carnival Magic.

Cruznut2 June 30th, 2011 04:12 AM

M&M's are my all time favorite candy. Second favorite are truffles from Kellerhaus in Weirs Beach, NH. My cousin sends me a package every Christmas filled with Kellerhaus goodies and other regional goodies. She would send real maple syrup too. Trip some years ago a friend of mine moved to Florida from NH. She loved Necco Wafers and I would send them to her by the 24 pack. Boston Baked Beans are something I have not thought about for years other than the non candy real Boston Baked Beans. I still use my Mothers recipe and bake them occasionally. Making me homesick.

Laura

Trip June 30th, 2011 08:32 AM

The Cherry on Top is THE place on the Carnival Magic to get your candy fix at sea! Lots of goodies to make you happy.Texans, lucky you, the Candy Ship is headed your way! Mike add Peeps to my fave list....love the pepermint ones~ That's my notebook,and camera case sitting there:)

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/g...5374/88296.jpg

LisaK June 30th, 2011 10:11 AM

Lindor dark chocolate truffles. ohh Mike Mango chocolate caramels with sea salt, that sounds heavenly

CA Cruiser June 30th, 2011 10:54 AM

[QUOTE=Snoozeman;1378866]Sorry Manuel, but they were the first to stop the practice. No mint for you! It's been about three years now that they stopped. QUOTE]

Sorry Snoozeman but we got a mint on our pillow every night last month on the Royal's Oasis of the Seas. Disney still left mints too in February.

I like Skittles and Dove bars. I brought both but never touched them on the cruise. The Skittles were nice for the plane ride home. ;)

Doug S June 30th, 2011 04:41 PM

Mints on pillows...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1378866)
Sorry Manuel, but they were the first to stop the practice. No mint for you!
It's been about three years now that they stopped......

There ya go. I thought I was wrong, but I was right.... Happens to me all the time.... And I was beginning to think the room stewards just didn't like me anymore...

Doug