Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Norm - thanks for the feedback! Your godson is evidence that TKD is a great form of self-discipline. Wanting my kids to workout during the cruise is not so much about keeping them active, but about keepign the patterns and skill work foremost in their brains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen View Post
You don't have to go to the gym to step anymore...There is a great step by Gold's gym at walmart for 30 bucks. then you can get a few step dvd's pop it into the dvd player and burn calories right in the comfort of your own living room. I find it a hassle to drive to the gym to workout when I can get a great workout right at home. And you are right good idea to change up workouts and not always do the same exact workout. I get all my workout dvd's online at Collagevideo.com.
That is not a bad idea. I'm a social person when i'm working out and I like to be among others. I find it more motivating when I'm doing a class with someone else. i was never a huge fan of dvd (or vhs back in the day). I have a ton of abs of steel vhs tapes which were really good, but alas, no more vcr! One of the things I really like about wii Zumba is the energy meter, and as you complete the energy meter, more characters show up to "join the party". Odd, I know, but I find it motivating!

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old July 8th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Admiral

Let's see, how do I exercise. Well, I clean the litterboxes every day and spend several hours each day trying to at least make the house halfway presentable (at which I fail miserably). I do all of the shopping. I do a lot of volunteer work for two organizations in addition to all that I do for the Humane Society. And of course I have to take care of our one acre yard. My basement is full of exercise equipment all of which belonged to Fran (except for the all but unused electric treadmill) and yes, all of that that even includes a step machine, I think even two in fact. There's even one of those small collapsible trampolines somewhere. I'd wager I could open my own exercise business except I'd have to pay a bikini clad hot body contest winner and an Adonis body builder type to run the thing because if anyone learned I was the guy behind it, they'd run like hell.

Todd
Old July 8th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Queen of Oakville,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Norm - thanks for the feedback!
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Your godson is evidence that TKD is a great form of self-discipline.
Yes, but I don't want to convey the wrong idea that TKD (or another martial art) is the only way to get this. Any pursuit that demands perseverence to attain exacting perfection, such as performing arts (music, theatre, etc.) can be just as effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Wanting my kids to workout during the cruise is not so much about keeping them active, but about keepign the patterns and skill work foremost in their brains.
Yes, that's important! My trombone teacher used to say that every day that you don't practice, you slip backward a day's progress. After a week of not practicing, they would be about a week behind where they were at the start of the cruise.

I don't know the policies of the various lines regarding admission of children to the aerobics room or, more generally, to the fitness center, so my recommendation would be to go to the fitness center and discuss what you want to do with the staff. They probably will accommodate you in one way or another, though you might need to schedule your sessions around scheduled workout classes that use the same area.

Norm.
Old July 11th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Admiral

hmmm, I wonder if I am better of asking .... or just watching the cruise compass to make sure nothing is scheduled and show up at that time? Sometimes, I wonder if drawing attention to the question, gets you the answer you don't want

I tried (for the first time) hot yoga on the weekend. i've never done yoga before ~ ever. Hot yoga is done in a room that maintains really high heat (our room was set at 40C/104F). Your stretching while your body is sweating up a storm. I don't know if it was an amazing workout or not, but you sure feel good at the end of it!

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

When I started my weight loss, I worked on the Wii Fit. Now that it is hot outside, I do water Zumba 4 times a week.

I am looking for a treadmill. Any ideas on what I should buy?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 11th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Admiral

I had spine surgery in 2010. Afterward I was in Physical Therapy for 3 months .Then I worked with a Personal Trainer for 5 months .For the past 3 months I've been going to a gym every morning as early as I can possibly get up .I've met a wonderful group of people at the gym ,ages 35-90 .We exercise ,have great conversation of every possible topic .I love it .
Old July 12th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
When I started my weight loss, I worked on the Wii Fit. Now that it is hot outside, I do water Zumba 4 times a week.

I am looking for a treadmill. Any ideas on what I should buy?

I have an eliptical trainer at home. While I don't have the interest to use it .... DH loves it. After the kids were born we realized we could not keep up our gym memberships, and we invested in a precor. I find it easier on the joints than a treadmill.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old July 12th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Queen of Oakville,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
I have an eliptical trainer at home. While I don't have the interest to use it .... DH loves it. After the kids were born we realized we could not keep up our gym memberships, and we invested in a precor. I find it easier on the joints than a treadmill.
You are onto something very profound. When it comes to physical fitness, most of us will make an effort to do something that we enjoy, but we'll find reasons to avoid what we perceive to be drudgery. Thus, the secret to staying in shape is to find physical activities that are fun.

The physical fitness program at my alma mater emphasized recreational fitness with a broad spectrum of classes in pursuits such as golf, various types of dancing (folk, ballroom, etc.), swimming, tennis, bowling, boating, and other recreational pursuits in the hope that many of the students would continue to pursue such activities after graduation and thus live long and healthy lives. I really do appreciate the wisdom of this policy! Indeed, it's a policy that our public high schools would do well to adopt.

Norm.