Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Default Do you keep active, if so, how?

I'm reaalllllly trying to drop 20 pounds before our next cruise at the end of August.

I'm still wearing the Land's End "Mommy" bathing suit I bought years ago, .... and my youngest just turned 4.

Its time to shed some pounds, and get back into a real bathing suit again. I've had 2 c-sections though, so my abdominal muscles are not what they should be. [yes, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it].

I already do Tae Kwon Do, about 3 to 4 classes per week. My biggest culprit are the chips, popcorn, and doritos. DH buys it and brings it in the house, and i can't resist.

I bought the Wii Zumba game, and I've been doing it for 2 days now. i'm feeling the burn and I'm hopeful that if I keep this up, it will get me where I need to be.

I've done the Southbeach Diet before, and lost weight, but as soon as I stopped "the plan" I gained all the weight back.

Anyone care to share some tips on how the keep active and keep that weight at bay?

Also, do you maintain your activity levels on a cruise? I told the kids that on this cruise, we're going to start out every morning stretching in the gym and practicing our TKD patterns before breakfast. [we're on FOTS ... will my kids be allowed in the gym?]

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:31 PM
First Mate

Come on now, you know that 20 pounds by the end of August is unreasonable. Even if you did somehow manage it, the weight would probably be right back by the end of the cruise.

I'm also overweight, but as the years pass I'm learning to live with it; my philosophy is it's more important to be fit than thin. I've also had two sections, but my youngest is 39so that excuse won't work. Not exercising at all until I turned 60 hasn't helped.

Now I belong to Curves and do the circuit faithfully at least 3 times a week. In between I walk as much as I can, and I have a weighted exercise hoop that makes me feel like I've done a full workout in 3 or 4 minutes. I use it when I'm feeling the munchies, followed by a large glass of water, and it helps.

My list of diet-killers is too long to post. Suffice it to say that if it's chocolate, or peanut butter, or salty, or high-carb, I WANT it. I've been using a form of self-hypnosis that seems to help a lot on those: try to think of something truly obnoxious that has the same general shape of whatever you'd like to avoid. For chips, it might be a thin slice of liver, say, or (my favorite) a leaf stuck to the bottom of your shoe with doggie doo. Try to picture it as vividly as you can. Imagine what it looks like, smells like. Now, pick a few times a day when you can relax in a comfortable chair or bed. Close your eyes and conciously relax your muscles. Then picture yourself getting up, going to the cabinet or drawer where you keep the chips, opening the bag, and pulling one out; only as you move it toward your mouth, it turns into the object of disgust. Again, see it and smell it. --- This works, if you do it a few times.

On board, I usually do a half-hour on the treadmill first thing in the morning, before breakfast, unless the gym is packed. I do either a high-protein breakfast (omelette) or fruit with a little smoked salmon and crackers. I limit carbs; a little at lunch, no rolls at dinner, only half of any rice/potato/noodle served then. I do always have desert, and more often than not I'll hit the ice cream bar at 11 p.m. During the day I walk LOTS and never use the elevator unless I'm going up at least 3 decks. I don't like sodas, so that's not a problem; but I do have wine every evening.

On a week-long cruise, I never gain more than 2 or 3 pounds, and they're off again within a few days of getting home. My last cruise (12 days) was after a week heavy with parties, and I actually got home a pound lighter than when I left.

How old are your kids? Most ships will not let those under 18 in the gym.
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

The basic rule to loosing weight is to burn more calories than you take in, so keep up the exercise and watch what you eat, it will work if you can stick to it, been there and done that and there was no way I was going to gain all I lost back and I haven't. I am lucky though, I have a very active job that keeps me on my feet all day, 8 hours, so I am always burning it off, plus I eat sensibly, lots of fruit and vegies, along with snacks of course, just be careful and you will see the inches and pounds disappear.

Best of luck and keep it up.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Admiral

SisterSolo .... you may have forever ruined lays chips for me !!!!

No, I don't really expect to drop 20 pounds by the end of August. I do plan to get as close to that as I can.

I *need* to loose that much; and I'm not going to stop just because our sailing is over.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old July 5th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Queen, I feel for you.
I am one of those people who could always eat anything and NEVER gain weight. All of a sudden, in the past 2 years, I have put on excess weight without even trying. I don't like it much, but I also have zero willpower, and like you, eat all the bad stuff my dh insists on spoiling me with!

So, I try to stay active. My job is active enough, running around with kids.
Then I have been attending twice weekly aquafitness classes which I really love, but the pool is closed for the whole summer for maintenance, so I will have to find something else to do.
I do not like the gym, the weights or the running machines - boring!
If only I could find a roller rink around here I would be there every night of the week!

donna
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Admiral

After my surgery last year my surgeon referred me for Physical Therapy -3 months of exercise .Subsequently I spent 6 months with a Personal Trainer .For the the past 3 months I have been going to a gym every morning .In addition I do exercise at home .

Due to medical limitations I am not supposed to drink alcoholic beverages or eat chocolate .I'm also not supposed to eat dairy products .
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Yeah, 20lbs by the end of August isn't going to happen. Maybe 10. Check out Sparkpeople.com it's a pretty good site - free! tracks all calories in and out. We do a ton of walking to keep the pounds at bay plus I have a gym right next to me at work that I have absolutely no excuse not to go to since it's about a 20 foot walk.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Admiral

As everyone knows, in the last few years there's been numerous diet plans, pills, exercise machines, etc that all promise to burn off that extra fat at an unbelievable rate, etc. etc. etc.
I have to say I'm not one to preach, as I need to lose about 20 lbs myself and can't seem to do it--too much temptation by ice cream, cookies, sweets, etc.
However after all the diet fads over the years, I did hear a Dr. comment once a couple of years ago that all the fancy fads, diets and so on in the world were basically useless--that all one had to do to lose weight was to keep their mouth shut!!
I remember that but so far haven't quite been able to keep it shut when it comes to my favorite pie, cake, desserts, etc. but he was exactly right!
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Admiral

The idea is to psych yourself into the idea that while it may taste wonderful as its eaten there is so much negativity that result afterward . Not too many people can achieve this .
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Weight Watchers!!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Admiral

Weight Watchers is just like every other diet ,it works for some but not for others .

I was once on the Starvation Diet and lost 66 pounds in a relatively short period of time and gained it back in an ever shorter time .
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Admiral

Weight Watchers is probably the best on the market. Sensible eating, no fake food, no food group is restricted, just stay within your alloted points.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Admiral

load up your IPOD with all your favorite music and do alot of walking..eat your main meal of the day before 1 pm and in the evening when you get those hunger pains, eat fresh fruit and vegetables and drink cranberry juice..treat yourself to your chips vice twice a week (as a reward), but instead of buying a big package of chips, get the really small one (like you put in your kids lunchbox for school)

on your cruise take advantage of the exercise classes and do a morning walk around the deck (but not on the running track, to crowded)..eat your main meal at lunch and eat lots of vegetable offerings for dinner, but treat yourself to dessert

when you get back home from your cruise work on a long term physical fitness plan cycle with a target weight for your next cruise ..also as an incentive,have your husband pick out a swimsuit that he would like to see you wearing on the beach on your next cruise...a daily long term exercise program will cause your system to become wired so that if you don't exercise daily, your mind will tell your body to do it..try to stay away from fad diets and pills..not a good long term solution

btw..if your goal is to lose 20 lbs by next month.and you lose at least 10 lbs, you are doing well so celebrate on the cruise
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Wii Zumba is good. There are other workouts available for Wii too.

Try Step aerobic. There is a large selection of DVD's available from beginner to advanced. I also add ankle weights and hand weights for an even more intense workout. I also own a spin bike which I like. I've been doing Step workouts for many years. People new to step should not add weights right away.

And some day just get my tunes on my ipod and Dance...

But of course Workouts and healthy eating habits go hand in hand. One does not work without the other. (Unless you are one of those people that were blessed and can eat anything and not gain a pound)...I hate those people...:eek::-D:-D:-D

Good Luck!

Also when we all think of loosing weight we think of walking, running and any aerobic type workout however don't forgot to add a workout with weights. Target the biceps, triceps, back, chest etc. Muscle burns more calories then fat does. Plus as we age it is important to workout those muscle groups.

Ok Time to workout now.....
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Admiral

if you drink soda, stop, even Diet Soda, switch to water, flavored water like Crystal Light or my favorite Diet Iced Green Tea, its good and its good for you. Cut down on the sugars,empty carbs and up the protein fruits & veggies. On the cruise, walk the decks as much as you can and take the stairs not the elevators
Old July 6th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Admiral

I go to the gym four days a week and get plenty of exercize cleaning my house every Friday. I took off weight by eliminating candy and anything white from my diet. The word diet should be "taboo". Life style change is what really matters. That be said, when I am on a cruise, I do indulge in eating desserts but whenever a ship is not in a port, I go to the gym, religiously!
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The only way to lose weight is to take in less and expend more. You need to have aerobic exercise and lower your calorie intake. Sugar is one of the worst culprits. Sodas, cakes, cookies and candy will really make it hard to lose weight. Get them out of the house or out of your diet.

Tae Kwon Do is good but if you don't incorporate conditioning with it then it is just short bursts of energy but nothing that will make you lose weight.

Also: Change the way you "reward" yourself. Don't reward yourself for a hard day or accomplishment with food. Reward yourself with a movie, bubble bath or quality time with your husband or some other non-food thing or activity you enjoy.

We all think we are "active", and we are, but you need to be heavily active for an extended time to actually lose weight.

Now: The hard part is doing it. I did this for two years and lost 40 lbs. The problem was that I had more medical problems and between the inability to do the exercise and having a somewhat "WTF" attitude I put 20 of it back on.

Good luck and any weight loss is good!!!!

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acapulco Kevin View Post
Actually I hear Herbalife works really well and know some thin exfat people who used it and it worked for them. I am a guy, never had to rearrange body parts due to childbirth but have had times when i was a bit heavier than needed. I must have an extra 20 lbs now but like it probably because I am a guy.

lol! thank you for the laughs. I have friends who did Herballife.... and it involves too many pills. I'm not a pill popper. It's worked for my friends though, but the monthly $$$ on the pills is too much too swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post
Queen, I feel for you.
[SIZE=3]I am one of those people who could always eat anything and NEVER gain weight. All of a sudden, in the past 2 years, I have put on excess weight without even trying. I don't like it much, but I also have zero willpower, and like you, eat all the bad stuff my dh insists on spoiling me with

I'm blessed on my dad's side, that I have a very thin (yet short) frame. On my mom's side I'm cursed with the propensity to gain weight. With this means, is that I only have to put on just a few pounds and I look fat. I also show weight very quickly in my face first. If I had very little body fat, I would be a size 2. I'm now a size 8/10, but I want to be down to a size 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
Yeah, 20lbs by the end of August isn't going to happen. Maybe 10. Check out Sparkpeople.com it's a pretty good site - free! tracks all calories in and out. We do a ton of walking to keep the pounds at bay plus I have a gym right next to me at work that I have absolutely no excuse not to go to since it's about a 20 foot walk.
I actually have an account at Sparkpeople. I used it earlier this year when I was trying to loose weight. Unfortunately, colds & flus got in the way, and I just stopped watching what I eat. I found Spark people was useful, and I forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder.

I also posted this yesterday on my M&M thread .... and it sounds like a few others want to join me in my weight loss, so we've agreed to offer each other motivation and post our successes, daily activities etc. I find it better to find motivation from people i know (like you guys!) that complete strangers which is what it feels like at Spark. If anyone wants to do that here, I'd be happy to participate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
Weight Watchers!!
I'm not a point counter. I don't know if Weight Watchers would work for me. I think my solution (as Donna noted above) is calories in/calories out. I just need to burn more calories than I consume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
..also as an incentive,have your husband pick out a swimsuit that he would like to see you wearing on the beach on your next cruise...
um ... no! If I did that he'd be picking out a thong bikini and well that just won't happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen View Post
Wii Zumba is good. There are other workouts available for Wii too.

Try Step aerobic. There is a large selection of DVD's available from beginner to advanced. I also add ankle weights and hand weights for an even more intense workout. I also own a spin bike which I like. I've been doing Step workouts for many years. People new to step should not add weights right away.

And some day just get my tunes on my ipod and Dance...

But of course Workouts and healthy eating habits go hand in hand. One does not work without the other. (Unless you are one of those people that were blessed and can eat anything and not gain a pound)...I hate those people...:eek::-D:-D:-D
I used to LOVE step aerobics (20 years ago!). About 10 years ago, DH and I joined a gym and started doing step classes again. The pounds just dripped off. The problem is that our kids are young and their schedules come first, which means that we would never get to a gym. I haven't seen the step for wii ~ is that what you have? Is it part of wii fit? I love ZUMBA but I also dont' want to fall in a rut and do the same thing everyday. Step would be loads of fun. How high is the step?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
if you drink soda, stop, even Diet Soda, switch to water, flavored water like Crystal Light or my favorite Diet Iced Green Tea, its good and its good for you. Cut down on the sugars,empty carbs and up the protein fruits & veggies. On the cruise, walk the decks as much as you can and take the stairs not the elevators
I drink one can of diet coke (caffeine-free) every night. It's made with splenda. I also like the fruit-flavoured waters made by nestle (I've never been able to find these in the US, they might be a Canadian thing). But they are also sweetened with splenda and go down soo easy. Its the easiest way for me to keep up my water intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Tae Kwon Do is good but if you don't incorporate conditioning with it then it is just short bursts of energy but nothing that will make you lose weight.

Also: Change the way you "reward" yourself. Don't reward yourself for a hard day or accomplishment with food. Reward yourself with a movie, bubble bath or quality time with your husband or some other non-food thing or activity you enjoy.

We all think we are "active", and we are, but you need to be heavily active
The club that we go to follows the same format ...10 minute stretch/warm-up, 20 minutes of cardio - in short bursts ... the class is divided into two, and you take turns runnign accross the gym, and adds in push-ups, somersaults, kicks, etc.) followed by 30 minutes of patterns. In the adult classes, the 20 minutes of cardio is switched with 20 minutes of sparring. I do one adult, and 3 kid classes per week. I know it is not enough, which is why I need something else.

I think you are dead-on wtih the concept of rewards. We use food rewards, and we should not. If DH knows I've had a stresful day, he'll pick up a bag of chips or a key lime tart or eclair as my treat. I've asked him to stop, but in his own way, he does it because he cares and wants to do something nice for me.

Thanks for all the advice and feedback, it's greatly appreciated.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Default Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
The only way to lose weight is to take in less and expend more. You need to have aerobic exercise and lower your calorie intake. Sugar is one of the worst culprits. Sodas, cakes, cookies and candy will really make it hard to lose weight. Get them out of the house or out of your diet.

We all think we are "active", and we are, but you need to be heavily active for an extended time to actually lose weight.

Now: The hard part is doing it. I did this for two years and lost 40 lbs. The problem was that I had more medical problems and between the inability to do the exercise and having a somewhat "WTF" attitude I put 20 of it back on.

Good luck and any weight loss is good!!!!

Take care,
Mike
2 of the worst beverages are juices and soda .If you crave cranberry juice make sure its all natural.
Old July 7th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Admiral

have your husband chase you around the house 3 times a day ::
Old July 7th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
I already do Tae Kwon Do, about 3 to 4 classes per week.
Good for you! What belt are you in TaeKwonDo? That's some mega exercise in itself! I swear I wash my children's uniforms after each class as I can practically ring them out from sweat! Yuck!

My two youngest are Deputy 2-- test for black written portion in September and endurance in November.

I take step/muscle conditioning class 3 times a week but really want/need to hit the gym much more than that. I have a job where I sit for hours on end and could certainly use more exercise myself.

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acapulco Kevin View Post
My point above is this...

Even if you gain 5 more pounds ~ be happy with who you are and how you are.
The people that love you are probably gonna still love you anyway.
Some of the worst people in the world have perfect skin.
Some of the best people have wobbly bits.
No one is ever as critical of us as us.

Kevin ~ I guess that is the problem. I'm very happy with who I am on the inside, but I am not happy with who I am on the outside. I gain weight first in my face. I hate myself in pictures. It's not like wishing I had a smaller nose, or different chin ..... I'm content with what I can't change, but I need to do something about what I can change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
have your husband chase you around the house 3 times a day ::
lol Venice .... well that could lead to other activities that burn calories

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&B View Post
Good for you! What belt are you in TaeKwonDo? That's some mega exercise in itself! I swear I wash my children's uniforms after each class as I can practically ring them out from sweat! Yuck!

My two youngest are Deputy 2-- test for black written portion in September and endurance in November.

I take step/muscle conditioning class 3 times a week but really want/need to hit the gym much more than that. I have a job where I sit for hours on end and could certainly use more exercise myself.

Beth
Beth, my club starts wtih white, then orange, then yellow (every club is differnt) with strip belts in between. I am now a yellow stripe and am hopefully grading this month for my full orange belt. DH is at the same level. Both of my kids are orange belts. My son just got his Orange Belt at the end of June. He was only 3 years old (he turned 4 on July 1). He's the youngest orange belt in our club, and I am sooooooo proud of him! Yes, it is an amazign workout. What l love best is that we work out together as a family. Because DH and I both work, this is part of our family time, and we love it. IT started with us drivign the kids to the practices ..... and then realizing I was there anyways so I may as well join too. DH joined shortly after that. Congrats to your kids! How long have they been doing it? Our master was telling me yesterday that my son and daughter will probably be black belts by the time they turn 8 (they were 3 and 4 when they started).

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Queen, Diet Soda is a joke, this comes from my doctor. It is loaded with hidden sodium and chemicals that actually make you thirstier for more. That is why i switched to Diet Iced Tea - Snapple or Arizona are my favs.
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Admiral

I have a Zumba class on Wednesday nights it's a lot of fun. I also that the Zumba Fitness total body transformation system DVDs they are a lot of fun. I lift weights and do elliptical machine on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
How long have they been doing it? Our master was telling me yesterday that my son and daughter will probably be black belts by the time they turn 8 (they were 3 and 4 when they started).
Awesome! Good luck on that orange belt test!

My children have been going steady with no breaks since May 15, 2009. I purchased the 3-year black belt course up front but they will make black belt in less than 3 years' time. They test for endurance in November but the ceremony will be held in January I believe is what my son said. They don't do the striped belts, but they do get tips in between belts, first yellow, then blue, then red, then black and then they are ready to test for the next belt. My children are 12 and 14. Their masters are from Korea and I personally think some of the best out there...although it is a challenge to understand them at times...I swear, when Master An says 'Axe kick' it sounds just like 'ass kick!'

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
Queen, Diet Soda is a joke, this comes from my doctor. It is loaded with hidden sodium and chemicals that actually make you thirstier for more. That is why i switched to Diet Iced Tea - Snapple or Arizona are my favs.
I think you are right. DH drinks a lot of coke zero. Our shirts that we wear to martial arts are black, and he has a lot of salt in in his sweat stains. It must be from the pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
I have a Zumba class on Wednesday nights it's a lot of fun. I also that the Zumba Fitness total body transformation system DVDs they are a lot of fun. I lift weights and do elliptical machine on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Good for you on the weight-lifting. That is sooo important for women. I don't enjoy weight lifting, so I need to find another way to build muscle. I find that the punching and kickign (especially in slow motion) has helped build muscle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&B View Post
Awesome! Good luck on that orange belt test!

My children have been going steady with no breaks since May 15, 2009. I purchased the 3-year black belt course up front but they will make black belt in less than 3 years' time. They test for endurance in November but the ceremony will be held in January I believe is what my son said. They don't do the striped belts, but they do get tips in between belts, first yellow, then blue, then red, then black and then they are ready to test for the next belt. My children are 12 and 14. Their masters are from Korea and I personally think some of the best out there...although it is a challenge to understand them at times...I swear, when Master An says 'Axe kick' it sounds just like 'ass kick!'

Beth
lol! Every club is different. We don't do written exams in our club. Our belts go from white, orange stripe, orange, yellow stripe, yellow, green stripe, green, blue stripe, blue, red stripe, red, black stripe, black. Many clubs here skip the orange belt .... but its a good motivation for the young kids. But it is also money makign for the club, they charge $80 for every grading. Our black belts have to know a new partern for every belt level, plus one/two/three-step attach and defense moves, plus 10 (I think?) punch and kick forms and sparring and board breakign. I watched a student grade for black belt last month, and man was it hard! He had to break about 13 boards with various punches and kicks. There is also a difference between ITF and WTF (one is newer) and I forget which one we are, but we follow the more traditional group.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old July 7th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
lol! Every club is different. We don't do written exams in our club. Our belts go from white, orange stripe, orange, yellow stripe, yellow, green stripe, green, blue stripe, blue, red stripe, red, black stripe, black. Many clubs here skip the orange belt .... but its a good motivation for the young kids. But it is also money makign for the club, they charge $80 for every grading. Our black belts have to know a new partern for every belt level, plus one/two/three-step attach and defense moves, plus 10 (I think?) punch and kick forms and sparring and board breakign. I watched a student grade for black belt last month, and man was it hard! He had to break about 13 boards with various punches and kicks. There is also a difference between ITF and WTF (one is newer) and I forget which one we are, but we follow the more traditional group.
That is odd many clubs there skip the orange belt. I've never heard of that before.

I PM'd you with a link to the site, which includes a video clip (they just added that) and a pic of my children in uniform. Once they become black belt, they will trade in their red uniform for white again...
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old July 7th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Queen of Oakville,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
I'm reaalllllly trying to drop 20 pounds before our next cruise at the end of August.

I'm still wearing the Land's End "Mommy" bathing suit I bought years ago, .... and my youngest just turned 4.

Its time to shed some pounds, and get back into a real bathing suit again. I've had 2 c-sections though, so my abdominal muscles are not what they should be. [yes, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it].

I already do Tae Kwon Do, about 3 to 4 classes per week. My biggest culprit are the chips, popcorn, and doritos. DH buys it and brings it in the house, and i can't resist.
Tae Kwon Do is great exercise!

My godson, now a lieutenant in the Air Force about to leave for a year in South Korea (where he'll serve in a joint U. S. and South Korean command post), first got involved in Tae Kwon Do when he was about five. The family with whom he stayed while his mother worked was Korean, so he went to a Tae Kwon Do studio with them. The family moved to Colorado soon after his tenth birthday, and he decided to continue -- at a school run by a Korean immigrant who encouraged the parents to join in. As a result, he and his mother attained Third Dan Black Belt before he went off to the Air Force Academy. I'm sure that the discipline that he learned in Tae Kwon Do served him well at the academy, and the training in Tae Kwon Do undoubtedly will serve him well in his new assignment.

Quote:
I bought the Wii Zumba game, and I've been doing it for 2 days now. i'm feeling the burn and I'm hopeful that if I keep this up, it will get me where I need to be.
I have heard that the Wii games also can be a very good workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I've done the Southbeach Diet before, and lost weight, but as soon as I stopped "the plan" I gained all the weight back.
No, those instant weight loss diets don't endure. Most people have more success if they get onto something like the "Zone" diet, develped by a physiologist, which basically stresses balanced nutrition that keeps the body's metabolism functioning at peak efficiency. The basic princples of the "Zone" are two-fold: (1) always eat the basic food groups in proper proportion, regardless of whethr you are eating a Zone meal or a Zone snack, and (2) eat within an hour of getting up in the morning to get your body into the "Zone" of optimal performance and then don't go more than five (5) hours without eating (until you go back to sleep) to keep it there. The author of the book claims that your body's regulatory mechansims will maintain your optimal weight if you do this. The author even recommends allowing yourself a "Porky Pig" day once per month when you disregard the diet completely, claiming that you'll feel so miserable as a result that you'll be motivated to follow the diet faithfully for the rest of the month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Anyone care to share some tips on how the keep active and keep that weight at bay?
It really does sound like you are active enough overall.

That said, you might want to consider adding ballroom dancing to your regimen. It has the advantage of being relatively low impact, and it will focus on the "core" as you move into the lower intermediate levels, so it would be a very good complement to your Tae Kwon Do. The Arthur Murray organization, which has a solid reputation for maintaining high standards of instruction, probably has a studio near you, and it also has the advantages that you can go to any studio in the organization while travelling and that you can transfer your lessons, etc., to another studio if you move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Also, do you maintain your activity levels on a cruise? I told the kids that on this cruise, we're going to start out every morning stretching in the gym and practicing our TKD patterns before breakfast. [we're on FOTS ... will my kids be allowed in the gym?]
I don't know the age requirements for the gym, but your children probably will be plenty active in the youth program so I would not worry too much about them.

As to maintaining weight on a cruise, it's really quite simple.

>> 1. Eat responsibly. There's no need to eat between meals. At the buffet, one plate of food is enough.

>> 2. Use the "ladders" (that's the nautical term for stairs), rather than the lifts, when going between decks whenever it's practicable to do so. (This should be most of the time unless you are looking after somebody who is disabled.)

>> 3. Look for shore excursions that have a fair amount of walking or other good activity.

>> 4. Try to do something for exercise on days spent at sea. This could be swimming in the ship's pool, walking or running laps on the jogging track, working out at the fitness center, etc.

>> 5. And the ship also will have one or two lounges and a disco with music for dancing in the evening.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Since a major operation nine years ago, I only have one stomach muscle, hence, no core strength, so most excersing would be hard for me to do. It's hard to explain how this condition feels, as not many can even imagine it.....My son brought over a nordic trak treadmill...I want to give that a try.

When I put my mind to it, I can drop weight.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 7th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post

I used to LOVE step aerobics (20 years ago!). About 10 years ago, DH and I joined a gym and started doing step classes again. The pounds just dripped off. The problem is that our kids are young and their schedules come first, which means that we would never get to a gym. I haven't seen the step for wii ~ is that what you have? Is it part of wii fit? I love ZUMBA but I also dont' want to fall in a rut and do the same thing everyday. Step would be loads of fun. How high is the step?

You don't have to go to the gym to step anymore...There is a great step by Gold's gym at walmart for 30 bucks. then you can get a few step dvd's pop it into the dvd player and burn calories right in the comfort of your own living room. I find it a hassle to drive to the gym to workout when I can get a great workout right at home. And you are right good idea to change up workouts and not always do the same exact workout. I get all my workout dvd's online at Collagevideo.com.