Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

View Poll Results: What will the outcome be?
Hung Jury 1 7.14%
Not guilty 4 28.57%
Guilty 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Casey Anthony Trial

So, what do you think? Any comments about the procedings?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

2nd degree murder.....lottsa time in jail.....thats whats gonna happen followed by an appeal by her attorneys....then the drama starts all over in years to come and more attention brought to matters in our world that don't need the attention that our economy does !

Mother and father should be charged with their lying on the witness stand as well. The entire family is CrAzY !!!

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Familiar Face

I agree...second degree murder.
Old July 5th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

The DW got me hooked on the trial--especially last few days. She watches HLN where it's on 24/7.

Guilty-1st degree murder.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 5th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Having not only testifying in court but more importantly, instructing how to testify in court is, with the occasional exception, juries work extremely hard, even in cases where the defendant is obviously guilty. The problem is, of what?

I would be nothing less than stunned were the jury return with guilty with recommendation of the death penalty. Why? Simply because the entire family is in my opinion, one of the most dysfunctional I've ever run across (and believe me, I've run across hundreds of dysfunctional families). We all have some dysfunctionality in our families even when its somewhat removed from the immediate family.

I do not believe in any way, shape or form, the verdict is going to be not guilty. I also believe that the jury will send her away for at least forty years which would make her I believe 67 when she would get out.

Well, we're about to find out as the news has announced that the jury has reached a verdict.

Todd
Old July 5th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Admiral

I just switched to HLN,and waiting...I am surprised at such a quick verdict.

Old July 5th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Oy Vey

Old July 5th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Admiral

NOT GUILTY!! Are you kidding me!!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old July 5th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Admiral

I wonder how much time those guilty charges will get her. After she gets out, all the talk shows will be vying for her story..then comes the books ofrm her and the jurors.

I am surprised Nancy Grace was so calm after the verdict, because for 3 years now,she has had a vein bulging on her head with fury.

Last edited by Trip; July 5th, 2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old July 5th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I wonder how much time those not guilty charges will get her. After she gets out, all the talk shows will be vying for her story..then comes the books ofrm her and the jurors.

I am surprised Nancy Grace was so calm after the verdict, because for 3 years now,she has had a vein bulging on her head with fury.
Trip:

You don't get time for "not guilty".

I haven't listened to Nancy Grace since her vendetta against the Lacrosse team members. Nancy Grace is a joke.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 5th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Admiral

My bad ....I said not guilty, when I meant the guilty charges she got.

Last edited by Trip; July 5th, 2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Admiral

I voted "not guilty" but I must admit that I just saw the verdict! I thought for sure the verdict would be guilty of manslaughter, and get her about 30 years. The guilty of making false statements to law enforcement will only get her about 3 years, and she'll probably only spend 1 actually in jail,,,if even that! Unbelievable?????? Looks like another O.J. verdict?????

"SKY"
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Going into the trial I was convinced of her guilt. As the trial progressed I began to be unsure of my belief. I will say I was surprised at the outcome. The bottom line is she was tried by a jury of her peers and their decision stands.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 5th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Admiral

The worse thing to me is that not guilty on child abuse for not having reported he missing.

She will probably walk out a free person on Thursday with getting time served.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Captain

Unbelievable. And what really shocked me was the reaction of her parents? Aren't they glad she got off? Or maybe now worried that they themselves are going to be suspects? And what about the allegations of sexual abuse by the father and brother? What a mess.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Admiral

She may have gotten away with it here but make no mistake her maker will take care of her in the end!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Admiral

She will walk out of jail Thursday, but where will she go? To her parents home, where she accused her Dad & briother of sexual abuse,and where Caley's bedroom, is still as it was the day she went missing? I don't think so! To the female lawyer, who continuously patted her, and, consoled her all during the trial, and, sobbed when the verdict came down, maybe. Where can she go in Orlando, without being stoned, with words of shame? She can run, but, she cannot hide.

The morning news shows, and talk shows are salivating right now to book her, and she will do them if paid highly, because who will hire her? A book and tv movie will be out before we blink. She is immune from the Son of Sam law, so she will do it all and save her pennies if she has a brain in her head.

Nancy Grace, while no smoke is coming out of her head now..wait till her show tonight...her head may explode.

Last edited by Trip; July 5th, 2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Just heard on my drive home from work, they found her NOT guilty....I sounded like there really wasn't any evidence of wrong doing....?

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Admiral

She is guilty as Hell!! But think about it....absolutely NOTHING tangible or chemically connected her to it. That's likely the jury's instruction procedure.
I was on a case (miniscule compared to this), lucky for the jury I was an alternate. I knew the man stole the item, but all was heresay, no proof.
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
if she has a brain in her head.

Yeah, there's the sticky point on that.....
Unbelievable.
Angela Z.
Old July 5th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Default Casey Anthony Trial

The real tragedy is the dead child. No justice for her. If her ma really didn't kill her, then, who did? If her ma really did kill her, again, where is the justice for Casey (Caylee?) if her killer is out running around amongst us?

Judy
Old July 5th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Familiar Face

I would have voted guilty....(on the pole above).

I am still in utter shock.

I never wanted to see her get the death penalty but I never dreamed she'd get a 'not guilty' verdict. What a farce...

She may not be spending her life in jail, but in many ways, she still got a life sentence. Afterall, I don't think there are too many places she can go and live a 'normal life', do you...? Her own parents know she did it and were there in that court room every day seeking justice for Caylee. I don't think they will be welcoming Casey back home with open arms any time soon-- if ever.

To think this woman will soon be free to produce even more children if and when she so desires...outragious.

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Admiral

I was stunned at the around the clock media coverage of the trail..even Fox took a break from their normal 24/7 bashing of POTUS Obama to give this trial coverage.

I knew in my heart the verdict would come back as it did
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Linda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
So, what do you think? Any comments about the procedings?
The actual verdict: Not guilty of murder/manslaughter, but guilty of four counts of lying to police, each of which carry a maximum sentence of one year. Sentencing on Thursday.

The jury may well have gotten this one right. I'm not saying that she was innocent, but the prosecution bears the burden of proof. I'm not aware of any evidence (fingerprints on the duct tape, etc.) that actually proves her involvement in the act. There may have been something that was under my radar, but it appears that twelve jurors came to that conclusion. In the absence of proof, acquittal on the murder/manslaughter charge is the correct verdict.

With regard to her sentence, the news reports on the verdict say she has already been incarcerated awaiting trial since August 2008 -- nearly three (3) years. That's over two thirds of the maximum possible sentence, and this apparently is her first criminal conviction. Thus, I think that her sentence will be: [b]TIME SERVED[b].

>> For a first conviction, it's normally very difficult to justify more than the minimum sentence. The law may additionally allow these sentences to be served concurrently rather than consecutively. The court cannot consider the charges on which the jury acquitted her in the sentencing proceeding.

>> But if the sentence is any less than the time that she has already served, she'll have a claim against the state for the excess. The court won't let that happen. Also, a lesser sentence won't change the fact that she has already been incarcerated for that long.

So I think that she will walk free on Thursday, the sentence of "time served" being completed.

Norm.
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Admiral

jacdenv24,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Unbelievable. And what really shocked me was the reaction of her parents? Aren't they glad she got off? Or maybe now worried that they themselves are going to be suspects? And what about the allegations of sexual abuse by the father and brother? What a mess.
I doubt that prosecutors will even try to indict the father and the brother on charges related to sexual abuse. At this point, Casey would not be a credible witness and any cooroborating evidence is probably long gone.

They certainly can indict the parents for perjury, but only if they have proof that the parents made statements that they knew to be factually false under oath. That also might be too high of a bar.

Norm.
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

While the jury may have found her "Not Guility" with exception to lying to the police..... I see where no justice was provided for that poor child as her attn'y. stated.

There was foul play in my eyes and caused for the jury to make an acceptable verdict, but only based on what they were provided to work with to come to their decision.

In the end.... who did it and how it happened will remain a mystery, but I for one would not want to be in Casey, her brother or her parents position right now. This is something they will all have to live with for the remaining days of their lives and will have to answer to their maker one day.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
Linda,

The actual verdict: Not guilty of murder/manslaughter, but guilty of four counts of lying to police, each of which carry a maximum sentence of one year. Sentencing on Thursday.

The jury may well have gotten this one right. I'm not saying that she was innocent, but the prosecution bears the burden of proof. I'm not aware of any evidence (fingerprints on the duct tape, etc.) that actually proves her involvement in the act. There may have been something that was under my radar, but it appears that twelve jurors came to that conclusion. In the absence of proof, acquittal on the murder/manslaughter charge is the correct verdict.

With regard to her sentence, the news reports on the verdict say she has already been incarcerated awaiting trial since August 2008 -- nearly three (3) years. That's over two thirds of the maximum possible sentence, and this apparently is her first criminal conviction. No she has been convicted of forgery and can not leave the state for a couple of years or more. Thus, I think that her sentence will be: [b]TIME SERVED[b].

>> For a first conviction, it's normally very difficult to justify more than the minimum sentence. The law may additionally allow these sentences to be served concurrently rather than consecutively. The court cannot consider the charges on which the jury acquitted her in the sentencing proceeding.

>> But if the sentence is any less than the time that she has already served, she'll have a claim against the state for the excess. The court won't let that happen. Also, a lesser sentence won't change the fact that she has already been incarcerated for that long.

So I think that she will walk free on Thursday, the sentence of "time served" being completed.

Norm.
And yes she most likely will walk out on Thurs, but where will she go. I really don't think her parents will want her back home.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old July 5th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Admiral

I am sickened with disgust with the justice system that would let this woman go free. R.I.P. Caylee.

donna
Old July 5th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Admiral

I think I may have to agree with Norm on this one - that is a first.

As I understand, the MO provided no definite cause of death and there were no forensics linking the mother with crime. Under Scots law, w/o independent corroborating evidence I doubt the case would even made it to court.

In Scots law, we may have returned ' not proven' - we think you did it but we can't prove it.

I don't think she is off Scot-free ; imagine living with the fact that you did not report the child as missing for 1 month. I would imagine her life will be hell wherever she tries to settle - I think she may have to move abroad.

Odd family; odd case - but I think the right verdict.

Tragedy is no justice for the child.

Annie
Old July 5th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Admiral

She could have a plastic surgery make over and disappear into the witness protection program...that may be the only way she can find any semblence of "normalcy" She will be a pariah, wherever she goes.

Sadly, a crazy, someone who is so outraged about the verdict, may take justice into their own hands, and kill her, to get what they believe is justice denied;(