CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Phoenix... what are the after effects (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/383583-phoenix-what-after-effects.html)

Trip July 6th, 2011 10:48 PM

Phoenix... what are the after effects

Of this!! It looks like it is a horror movie..At one point it almost looks like huge waves!!

YouTube - ‪Time Lapse - Arizona Dust Storm - July 5th 2011 - As it hits‬‏

dezertcruzer July 6th, 2011 11:51 PM

Well, the first thing most people do if they haven't had serious damage is take care of cleaning and re-balancing the pool, clean the car, sweep and hose off the patios, sidewalks and driveways, and sweep and dust the whole house top to bottom, because that dust gets into all the crooks and crevasses.

However, there is often more serious damage to consider. There are often downed power lines and trees which have fallen on and damaged houses and cars. This is a terrible time of year to be left without power. Yesterday it was 105 degrees. They didn't get power restored to all affected customers until mid-morning today. Thank goodness this didn't happen on Saturday when it was 118 degrees!

I am very lucky to have never had any real damage where I live, but that mile-high, 60-mile wide wall of wind and dust was the worst any of us can ever remember seeing! It's quite a phenomenon, but one we see in varying intensities many times every year during the monsoon.

Manuel July 7th, 2011 07:57 AM

Jennifer, I'm glad that you did not have any real damage.

It seems that we are seeing extreme weather patterns. all over the world.
Floods, drought, dust storms and record temps in some places.

But that dust storm in Arizona sure looke menacing.

TM

ToddDH July 7th, 2011 10:53 AM

Don't know why, but I am only getting a black screen where the video should run on any You-Tube videos, even those I have under favorites. Everything else is there but the videos won't play. It worked fine a couple of days ago when I last visited.

Anyone know a possible reason?

Todd

Moiraine July 7th, 2011 01:06 PM

Glad you are all right Jennifer. Also glad you did not have any damage.

CruisinK n J July 7th, 2011 01:29 PM

Phoenix . . . What are the after Effects

Keith talked to his brother last night, and they couldn't see across the street. They're okay, though. Sounds like there's a lot of cleanign up to do . . .

Judy

ToddDH July 7th, 2011 02:06 PM

Thanks a ton, Acapulco Kevin, it works now just fine. I think from now on I'll pay closer lookout to Adobe upgrades! :)

Again, I so appreciate your advice!

Todd

Donna July 7th, 2011 04:17 PM

Just got some pics from my sister who lives in Scottsdale, their cars are covered with a very fine sand and the pool needs a major cleaning out. She needed to backwash 3 times, the filters were so clogged with the stuff...OY.

Aidan July 10th, 2011 09:11 PM

The after-effect is: the internet will be flooded with hundreds of photos of it, and millions of emails will be forwarded with those photos, each with a hyperbolic description of something it is not.

Luanne Russo July 11th, 2011 09:00 PM

I asked Jim about these storms, and he told me that the video was shown to the troops in Iraq, and the soldiers had a good laugh. He explained that dust storms over there happen all the time, and some last several days.