CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Your childhood (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/383584-your-childhood.html)

Lakers Fan July 6th, 2011 11:32 PM

Your childhood

What is the one thing you miss most from your childhood ?

Aidan July 6th, 2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1380185)
What is the one thing you miss most from your childhood ?

Krispy Kreme doughnuts delivered to your door .. not ordered, they just went door to door trying to sell them. Smart idea, as my mom could never refuse us once they were so close.

This was the American South in the 1960s.

Trip July 6th, 2011 11:58 PM

Playing outside with all my friends..no worries...you could be out till dark, and beyond, and, feel safe..Once Mom called, you went in.

Ahhh, those were the days:)

Aerogirl July 7th, 2011 12:12 AM

Hanging out at the barn (stable) and ridding our horses with my friends. Now I cruise with one of those old friends!

Pootersdad July 7th, 2011 08:00 AM

Childhood

Leaving doors unlocked.
Staying out until the street lights came on.
Having nothing to worry about.
Having milk delivered to our front door.

johnthed0g July 7th, 2011 08:14 AM

Innocence.

skymaster July 7th, 2011 09:49 AM

Growing up in a small town in the MidWest, all of the above pretty much applied! I fondly remember not only leaving the house unlocked all the time, but very few folks even removed the keys from their car when they parked "downtown". Truly amazing by todays standards! Crime was handled by the one police officer we had, and as a rule, he just wandered around the town, drank coffee with the residents, and said "good morning" or "good afternoon" a lot! We had a town jail, and I can only recall seeing someone in it once,,,,and that was a drunk sleeping off his "party" until morning, when he was released to his wife! ;)

"SKY"

Trip July 7th, 2011 10:18 AM

Remember when Moms would park their baby carriages outside a store, sometimes several in a row, and went in and shopped? When they came out, the babies were still there! Imagine that today!!

Aerogirl July 7th, 2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1380235)
Remember when Moms would park their baby carriages outside a store, sometimes several in a row, and went in and shopped? When they came out, the babies were still there! Imagine that today!!

Don't remember that but my mom told me the same thing, she would park the buggy outside the store and go in without my brother.

Playing running bases or just sitting out on the front porch on a summers night.

Queen of Oakville July 7th, 2011 11:37 AM

What I miss most?

My daddy.

Lakers Fan July 7th, 2011 11:39 AM

I miss sitting in the living room with my parents listening to the radio .

Queen of Oakville July 7th, 2011 11:50 AM

Henry - music was a VERY big part of my life. My dad played in a 50s/60s band and used to perform at weddings and dances. I remember they would practice in our basement. As a little girl, they would sit me on top of the speakers and I would watch them practice. I have a wonderful memory of wearing a yellow dress, and my dad sererading me wtih Harry Belefonte's Yellow Bird.

Music always played in our house, but it was always the old standards or 50s/60s. My dad was a HUGE Elvis fan. I'm probably the only one my age with such a strong knowledge of music from "back then".

Lakers Fan July 7th, 2011 12:07 PM

My parents did not have TV or a telephone till I was 9 years old .Most of my childhood at home was spent listening to radio and records (78's).

In the early 50's my father invited a co-worker and his daughter for lunch .She brought her boyfriend who was too shy to come into my house .The 2 of them stayed outside and serenaded people as they walked by .They had no idea that Eydie and Sidney would become Eydie Gorme and Steve Lawrence .

Haoie July 7th, 2011 09:12 PM

Decent SATAM cartoons

Dave Beers July 7th, 2011 10:37 PM

As said above, we never locked our doors and the car keys were kept in the ignitions. We also had a big garden that neighbors knew they could come to and get 'a few' vegetables for free..just because we had extra.

Trip July 7th, 2011 10:48 PM

Even back then, we locked our doors..That always amazed me, that people didn't, ans still don't in places.

We used to bring lilacs for the teacher, wrapped the stems in tin foil.

We use to put on shows,and have comic book sales.

Katy Keene, Millie the Model, Little Lulu, Richie Rich and of course Archie:)

balabusta July 8th, 2011 01:04 AM

I miss that all the kids, on the street, ran outside their homes everytime they heard the music or the clinging of the bell from the Good Humor truck. Norman delivered the ice cream for years. By now he is probably up in heaven with a wide grin on his face smiling at all the "now grown up kids" that have kids and grandkids of their own!

earl July 8th, 2011 03:14 AM

Wishing i was young again,

Queen of Oakville July 8th, 2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haoie (Post 1380370)
Decent SATAM cartoons

Does anyone remember Jabber Jaws? I keep mentioning that cartoon to people and they think I'm crazy!

Queen of Oakville July 8th, 2011 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acapulco Kevin (Post 1380524)
For those unfamiliar....

Per a great deal of Hanna-Barbera's output in the 1970s, the format and writing for Jabberjaw was similar to that for Scooby-Doo, Josie and the Pussycats and Speed Buggy. The show also drew inspiration (in the use of a shark as a character) from the overall shark mania of the 1970s and the then-recent film Jaws. It also shared The Flintstones' penchant for making use of puns as the names of locations, people, etc., in this case, ocean-themed puns (such as "Aqualaska" instead of Alaska). Jabberjaw ran for 16 episodes from 1976 - 1978 on ABC - source: Wikipedia

I do remember jabberjaw. I was not a fan of the cartoon but remember it clearly. I think it is cool that you remember such an obscurity. Thanks for the memories!

obscurity is my specialty! 16 episodes, huh? it obviously made a lasting impression on me, and I was only 7 at the time!

rollerdonna July 8th, 2011 11:23 PM

I most miss my parents, but I also miss the carefreeness (is that a word?) of being a child with no responsibilities!

donna

Lakers Fan July 9th, 2011 11:41 AM

This morning a 90 year old neighbor and I were reminiscing about our respective childhoods.

Fern July 9th, 2011 09:57 PM

What I miss most is the feeling of security and safety. We would drive from Little Rock to Conway (AR), about 30 miles, and visit my mother's family. On the drive home, I'd lay in the back seat and watch the stars go by. This was VERY much before seat belts were available.

I also miss saying "Daddy, pick me up!" and him doing so :) !

I miss my parent's, my uncle, my great uncle, my grandparent's and my great grandmother, etc.

Okay, I'm really into remembering!

hez July 9th, 2011 10:56 PM

Just reading all these posts bring back so many memories...i miss my mom terribly...

a few memories shared with my sister (RD)...Saturday night was ALWAYS spagetti night in our house and my sister and i were allowed to eat in front of the T.V watching Bugs Bunny!

Watching "Bless the Beasts and the children" with my sister and crying for HOURS!!!

Watching SNL every Saturday night (when it was good). (Chevy Chase, Lorraine Curtain..etc etc... OH NO Mr. BILL!!!)