CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Chess ,Checkers ,Crosswords ,etc (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/383662-chess-checkers-crosswords-etc.html)

Lakers Fan July 10th, 2011 09:55 PM

Chess ,Checkers ,Crosswords ,etc

What online or offline games do you play to stimulate your mind ?

On line I play :Jeopardy ,Millionaire ,Chess ,Trivial Pursuit and Checkers

Offline I play scrabble and do crossword puzzles

kandajones July 11th, 2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1380908)

Perhaps we need a CM "Wise Guys" championship :)

Alan.

Paul B July 11th, 2011 11:06 AM

Sudoku!! I have no trouble with the one , two and three star ones, but the four and five stars get rough and take longer.

Queen of Oakville July 11th, 2011 11:20 AM

Paper doesn't stimulate me any longer. I bought a soduko book for our last cruise ..... and I missed all the features of the on-line versions.

I love logic games ..... those are my favourite. I still buy those in paper form, though they get more and more pricey. If any one knows of an online source, please let me know. [these are the games where they say "the person who ate Chinese for dinner is not the one who lives in the Red house" .... and then you have to figure out all the clues. Love those! Wish I could play them online.

I like crosswords, though, I'm not as well read as I should be .... I prefer the "tv themed" crosswords. I love trivial pursuit too.

I never learned how to play chess .... wish I knew.

I was quite the academic in my younger years ..... I was on my school's trivia team, and we competed on Canada's Reach for the Top.

kandajones July 11th, 2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B (Post 1380959)
Sudoku!! I have no trouble with the one , two and three star ones, but the four and five stars get rough and take longer.

Katrina & I race each other on the daily Sudoku whilst on ships - she nearly awlays wins :o( Last year I found her a Sudoku book with 3D puzzles. The best way I can describe it is to say imagine kiddies building blocks randomly stacked with numbers running around them, with the 1-9 range running between the bricks. They really do my brain in, but Katrina seems to be slowly making her way though it

I love logic & word puzzles, whilst Katrina is a big fan of Hanjie which is another Japanese puzzle with a grid of numbers & if you fill in the squares correctly you get a picture - some quite simple, so quite stunning see puzzlemix.com - play Hanjie online
and Yes, they even have multi-color puzzles for additional complexity.

Alan & Katrina

Sistersolo July 11th, 2011 04:33 PM

Hey Paul, have you ever tried a "Samurai Sudoku"? It's five sudoku puzzles linked together so that one in the middle is overlapped on all four corners by the other four. My brother occasionally sends me a few he has saved from the Washington Post comic section.

Paul B July 11th, 2011 07:16 PM

Sister, I sure do as several other types in the puzzle books. I also play Payday Freecell on line, and it is a bit like chess in planning your moves ahead.

Luanne Russo July 11th, 2011 07:34 PM

I joined Pogo several years ago, while on a business trip. I have enjoyed it since then. I play several games first think in the morning to wake my brain up.:D

Paul B July 12th, 2011 12:19 AM

We have 59,000,000 points on Pogo. That means that we need to get a life!:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Luanne Russo July 12th, 2011 06:27 AM

I am almost as bad. Would love to play you guys sometime. Screen name is Luanne21.

Cruznut2 July 12th, 2011 06:45 AM

Guilty of belonging to Pogo. I love to play Lottso. I also can be found in Bowling and Bingo Luau.

Laura

Lakers Fan July 12th, 2011 10:35 AM

Pogo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B (Post 1381092)
We have 59,000,000 points on Pogo. That means that we need to get a life!:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

I have nearly 11,000,000 .I traded in about 4000 .My DBW has about 2000 .

Queen of Oakville July 12th, 2011 02:12 PM

Oh dear ..... dare i ask .... what is pongo?

Luanne Russo July 12th, 2011 02:38 PM

I have almost 14 million..

Pogo.com is a cool place to play all kinds of fun games, from slots, board games etc. You can either play for free, or join and have many other cool games.

Rev22:17 July 12th, 2011 06:32 PM

Henry43,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1380908)
What online or offline games do you play to stimulate your mind ?

Offline I play scrabble and do crossword puzzles

I play duplicate bridge a couple nights a week. When I have time, I also do Sudoku, the daily Jumble puzzle, and the crossword puzzle in the newspaper if I get to it. I also enjoy logic puzzles, jigsaw puzzles, chess, Backgammon, checkers, Monopoly, Scrabble, Clue, Risk, Cribbage, Hearts, Whist, Spades, and many other games when I get a chance to play them, but I'm constrained by a lack of time and potential opponents. On the computer, I'm most apt to play Hearts, Spider, Freecell, and Solitaire.

Actually, I find that ballroom dancing is also very stimulating mentally, and this cuts a couple different ways.

>> For exhibitions, there's always the challenge of choreographing a routine so the steps come at places where they synchronize nicely with the nuances of the music -- for example, so that a ronde or a develope falls on a dramatic crescendo while a "patticake" grapevine falls on a light pitter-patter.

>> And when social dancing, we gents have the challenge of anticipating (that is, guessing) what other couples are likely to do and figuring out, in real time, which patterns will work in the available space on the dance floor while avoiding the likely paths of the other couples.

Either way, it's a mental challenge!

Norm.

Queen of Oakville July 13th, 2011 10:35 AM

*sigh*

I signed up.

You people are corrupting me.

Lakers Fan July 13th, 2011 10:39 AM

Did you sign up for FREE ? Several times a year you get the opportunity for a free subscription for a 2 week period .

Luanne Russo July 13th, 2011 11:22 AM

If you will tell me your screen name I can send you a free pass that I believe lasts for a week.

LisaK July 13th, 2011 11:34 AM

you can play unlimited free on-line games at pogo.com. i play Bookworm, Bejeweled, and Ultimate Crosswords

Lakers Fan July 13th, 2011 11:56 AM

Free Pass

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luanne Russo (Post 1381323)
If you will tell me your screen name I can send you a free pass that I believe lasts for a week.

That is correct . However there are 151 FREE games

Luanne Russo July 13th, 2011 12:28 PM

That is true, but this will make the ads gp away.

Lakers Fan July 13th, 2011 09:47 PM

I don't mind the ads . I can't see paying to play a game . There are so many free game sites beside POGO .

I think that a lot of people go to POGO to chat .

Queen of Oakville July 14th, 2011 10:17 AM

Were the questions on sign up directed at me? There was no cost to sign up. But there appears to be an upgrade 3.99 per month? or something like that. If you don't pay it you get the ads. I actually don't mind the ads, too much, it gives a little break.

So far, I've played Word Whomp, and some kind of jigsaw puzzle adventure (haven't figured out the adventure part yet!). I also played Clue! I loved clue, but there is only one game for free. It costs 40 gems to buy a new game .... I'm not sure that I want to buy gems, but there doesn't appear to be any other way to get them.

My screen name is QueenofOakvill (ran out of characters!)

Luanne Russo July 14th, 2011 11:16 AM

Okay, I have sent you a guess pass, so look for it. It lasts 5 days, and then I can give you another. If anyone else needs one, let me know.

Luanne

Queen of Oakville July 14th, 2011 11:30 AM

Luanne! Thanks, I got the email to redeem the guest pass. I'm trying to be good and get some work done today (or if nothing else, work out the remaind of the details for our cruise .... I still have to book cars, and hotels and do our e-docs) ...... I'll redeem the coupon tonight. Thank you!!!!

Luanne Russo July 14th, 2011 11:48 AM

Your more than welcome enjoy!!!

MercedMike July 14th, 2011 11:50 AM

Gaming

My favorite at home game is Munchkin! This is sort of a tongue in cheek card version of Dungeons and Dragons, with much of the humor directed at teen age boys. For example, one monster card is "Moon Maidens. You cannot use a weapon to fight them, you must chastise them with your bare hand." A bit of thought will suggest the art work that is on the card ... ;) One of the steeds is the Turtle. Riding it gives you an armor bonus, but if you need to run away you have to abandon (discard) it.

On board ship I always take a Mensa book of Cryptic Crosswords and another of Diagramless Crosswords. My favorite Cryptic clue of all time is "Wyatt sharpens a headset" (the answer is "Earp hones -- earphones") For the plane I buy a Variety Crosswords at the newstand for mindless entertainment.

And online -- ah, online. There it is Lord of The Rings Online, a MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game). I play a hobbit hunter with a legendary bow who is currently riding toward Rohan with the Gray Company of Rangers.

Retirement is wonderful ... :o