Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Luanne

Everyone knows you are NOT cold hearted - anything but.

We all just have different ways of expressing ourselves or protesting.

Some of us do it on a local, national or international basis. One is not better than another - just different.

The important thing is we all care enough to do something.

On a lighter note, I went on a Safari in SA. Most of my friends and family would not describe me as an animal lover ( very unBritish but I now support a Cheetah charity.

So I boycott,protest or support as appropriate.

Take care

Annie
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Thank you Annie for your kind words. We never know when this will be our last day on this earth, and I sure would not want my last post to be that of a cold hearted B...
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I protested the movie "Can't Stop The Music" in the mid-seventies. I hated disco plus many of my friends were band members and were having a hard time getting gigs because clubs were changing from live music to recorded disco music. I even remember my sign. "Please Stop The Music". :o

I also protested the second Iraqi war and was basically kicked out my Republican caucus and told I was Un-American for doing so. My stand on gay rights and stem cell research didn't help.

I also boycotted Nestle products for many years because of their brainwashing of third world mothers about breast feeding and using their infant formula. Gee: Take your polluted water, mix in our formula and let your kids die of dysentery. It's OK because all the affluent mothers in Europe and the U.S. use our formula. Nestle has since changed their marketing but they could do better.

I also now boycott another cruise site because I mentioned that I was on a group cruise with people from "another board" and got banned for ten days. :o

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Luanne..I can't remember when God and myself were in the same sentence (well maybe when I was younger)

at the WW2 Museum in New Orleans last year they conducted a seminar with living WW2 veterans from the USA and Japan because they are dying at such a rapid rate that very few are left..as you well know, there are still veterans from that era that refuse to knowingly purchase (boycott) anything made in Japan to this day (which is tough)...what came out of the session was that old men (respective governments) send young men/women (enlisted) to die often for reasons that are imperial and selfish and that the troops were just doing their duties within the guidelines of their respective cultures ..it's interesting because the last POTUS who had actual military combat service was George Bush 41st..he knew firsthand what it meant to send young people to war

It takes alot for me to do anything in the form of protest or boycott..I am incline just to ignore it and focus on more positive stuff (i.e. jazz cruising)..you have to really tick me off for me to take action..Donald Trump hit my last nerve
Old July 19th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Go Mike Go

I am heartily encouraged we have so many protesters some would say I am just a born rebel or bolshie....

I agree with Venice, we need to do positive things as well - it's all about balance.

Well back to planning the vacations for 2012 and 2013.

Annie
Old July 25th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Default Venice

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
in honor of our friend Henry43 going on his well deserved cruise tomorrow, I thought I would ask the question of the day that he would enjoy

when I was younger, I protested against Jim Crow Laws in the South but in all fairness join a protest to support ERA because I thought it would be a great place to meet women

in my old age I have become much smarter and strategic..several of my friends and I are both protesting and boycotting any product that Donald Trump is associated with because of his "birther" flap..we are joining together to buy a small number of shares of Comcast (parent company of GE and NBC) and will write a letter to any sponsors of the upcoming season of the Apprentice to indicate not only will we boycott the show but will boycott and not purchase any products of the company that advertise on the show..I don't gamble but my friends who do, will not be visiting any properties that Trump is associate with..small but symbolic gestures on our part

my question is have you ever protested or boycott anything either when you were young or now..was it effective

have a great cruise Henry my friend
Thanks for the cruise wishes ,Venice . A VW update :I should be speaking to her within the next few weeks .

Re this thread :

To reiterate or iterate posts I have made on CM previously .In 1955 a friend of mine ,age 10 was murdered by 3 twelve year old white boys solely because my friend was black . That was something I could not understand back then nor can I understand this today.
In 1958 I joined my high schools human relations club . Three years later in college I joined the NAACP . A friend who was a member introduced me top her cousin Stokely Carmichael .He said that if I really wanted to do something positive I needed to join CORE .
In the summer of 1964 I became active in the civil rights movement and worked with several other students who became prominent moreso because of their dying .I worked with Dr. King and other leaders .

Both of my parents were active in the Labor movement and both demonstrated over the years . I was always among friends of theirs who were active as well.

My next form of protest was against the Vietnam War .I am however ,not a pacifist as some members of CM haver labeled me .
Old July 27th, 2011, 08:55 AM
First Mate

I boycott everything from any country that has used weapons of mass destruction against innocent people.
Old July 27th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I never have boycotted anything. I did organize an email blitz to Wendy's to right something I thought was wrong.
One day I went to Wendy's for lunch. When I ordered my lunch and went to pay I was asked "Would you like to donate to adoption?" I was stunned and stood there trying to bite back sobs. I am a Birth Mother that lost my only child to adoption. I realize that Wendy's founder is involved in adoption and I recognize his right to solicit funds in the stores. I object to asking outright every customer that walked up to the counter. Why not just put a collection box in every store and let people make their choice?
I went home and started searching for a way to email Wendy's Corporation. I found an email address and wrote a letter to them explaining the situation. I belong to several email groups online for Birth Mothers. I told the stories in the several forums I belong to. The members of these forums agreed with what I was saying. Many of them had the same experience. It was very painful for me and I am sure it was for the others. I posted the email address and urged them to write. I even composed several versions of letters to send to make it easier for them. Those groups number thousands of women from all over the world. Most of them agreed to send an email. I have no idea how many emails were received by Wendy's but in a few weeks the soliciting stopped. A few weeks later collection boxes appeared in the stores.
I did other things for Birth Mothers over the years including going to a march and rally in Washington DC to work toward open records for adoptees.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 27th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Admiral

you impacted a positive change..thank you