Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Admiral

Default Sunday Sunshine!

Morning Mates, the sun has finally found us again in Pictou County, now if it would only warm up above 16C or 60F, it might actually feel like summer again!
The back pain continues, but it's not bad as long as I rest. Yesterday I volunteered at the Ship Hector, today I will as well, but no tours up and down the stairs and no climbing on and off the ship for me. I'm just sitting at the front desk collecting money!

Hope to get out and enjoy a little bit of sunshine before my afternoon at the ship.
Bon Voyage Henry, hope you enjoy Bermuda!

donna
Old July 17th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone from the sauna known as Minnesota. It is going to be a hot and humid few days. Depending on which talking head you listen to it will be somewhere between 96 and 102 today and warmer tomorrow. It is hazy outside and all of the windows are covered in condensation from the humidity.

We had a fun day yesterday. We took the kids back to their house and did some horseback riding. My granddaughter and I did the horseback riding and grandma and my grandson just let the dogs out for a run. However the mosquitoes were terrible because of the recent heavy rains and we only rode for about a half hour before we couldn't take it anymore. We cooled down the horses with a cool bath with the hose and then brushed them and sprayed them down so they wouldn't get eaten too bad. I also had to give the woman who is taking care of the animals a call. She had left the feed bins open and they were filled with water and the feed was ruined and we had to dump it and refill them and make sure they were tightly closed. Also she had not turned on the air conditioning in house and while it was not oppressive it was warm. I'll check today to make sure everything is in order.

On the way home we stopped at the lake and had a good swim to cool down.

There is nothing really on the agenda for today. My back is feeling better and riding didn't mess it up so the steroids are working. I'm also controlling my steroid induced appetite and not eating anything within three feet of me.

I hope everyone stays cool and has a great Sunday!!

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 17th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
Going to be HHH here today,and hotter as we go forward this week. Lots of nothing will go on after Monday, the one day. I am working. Last week when I went in, not one thing had been done in the shop, by any contractor. I hope this week something has changed.

Today we were supposed to be heading to Mashpee, down the Cape to visit our old friends, but instead, they are coming up, as my friend Allyns's sister in law passed away, so, we will go to the funeral, and make our visit next Sunday.

Glad Mike & Rd feel a bit better....Make it a good one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 17th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Admiral

GREETINGS from relatively cool Central Florida! (Only 90 or 91 today they're saying, but VERY humid, with a 60% chance of rain.) Glad you're feeling better Donna. Take care of yourself! Mike, the horseback riding sounds like a LOT of fun, but I too can certainly do without the "skeeters". The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I don't have anything lined up for today. Just take it easy, and perhaps I'll do a bit of edging on our driveway, and sidewalks, but not much more. Maybe a trip to the mall this afternoon.
Hope all my "Mates" have a GREAT day.

"SKY"
Old July 17th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Morning all. Another hot day here. I hope it's going to be quiet with very little on the agenda...but we will see. Made a trip to the library yesterday for some new reading material. Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday.
Old July 17th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Admiral

Good morning from CT.

It's hot and humid here, but as mother used to say (it's summer, what do you expect?)

I hpe that everybody has a great sunday.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 17th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Good morning all. Am also glad Donna and Mike that your suffering has been at least partially alleviated.

My adored niece DeAnna, came up Friday late after noon, bearing a sound dock to go with my new I-Pod she and her husband gave me and to teach me how to used the I-Pod.

She then spent until four in the morning trying to transfer my You-Tube music videos on Real Player to I-tunes, just trying to transfer the music only to add to my new I-Pod on which she already had 500 songs from every genre' imaginable. She is a Mac person (I'm now very sorry I never got into Macs simply because they're far far easier to use) and is well versed in such things. Nevertheless she was on the phone to friends who are real "techies" throughout the whole process. She said the Mac will replace the PC within ten to fifteen years simply because Steve Jobs was the orignal "brilliance" when he left Microsoft while Gates was the Busness expert. She claims that Macs will supplant PC's because of their simplicity of use, simply because Apple has furnished Macs to entire school systems all over the country and today's youngsters are learning on them beginning in Kindergarten in some instances. Every single person I know who started on PC's and then went to Macs have said they'll never go back. We both arose at ten yesterday morning and bless her heart, got right back to work and finally made the breakthrough at about five-thirty yesterday afternoon right before she left. We were both ecstatic because she was beginning to think she'd not be able to do it.

I grilled some beautiful loin lamb chops Friday evening as while lamb is her favorite, her husband can't even take the aroma of cooking lamb so she rarely has it.

I can't believe it but I actually must start making myself eat more simply because my weight keeps falling and now I'm down to 231 from 292 in November when Fran died. While my outline looks better, I look as if I'm about 105 years old because losing such weight at the age of 64 definitely has a negative impact if for most of your life, you've looked younger than what you actually were. My BMI says I should be around 210 but I think that will be a bit too much loss for me. We'll see.

Hope everyone has a grand Sunday, that the US wins its Soccer Match and if you're into Nascar, your favorite wins in Loudon NH this afternoon.

Prayers and Blessings continue as always.

Todd
Old July 17th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Default Sunday Sunshine

Sunday sunshine, indeed! It's shining wih great force, an indication that the weather mavens were right with their hot weather predictions. Hot 'n humid coming right up!

It's good to hear that Donna and Mike are on the mend. I seem to have conquered whatever that bug was . . .

Nothing going on here, either. We never travel the 405, so Carmegadon was just something different to watch on t.v. I hope we can go to Pasadena for lunch today without any traffic problems.

Have a good Sunday, people.

Judy
Old July 17th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Todd:

Apple has been supplying school's with Mac's since the early eighties. I called it their "Hitler Youth Program". It still hasn't had the results they wanted.

Mac's still haven't replaced PC's. The main issue is that for "end users" they are easy to use however they are far less "functional" than a PC to a heavy techie. There is no real super-tech who uses a Mac. They may have a Mac but they will do their work on a PC and the SUPER techs will use a Unix or Linux based system.

I grew to detest Macs in the eighties and nineties as first a tech and later a Senior Manager and Officer for some large companies. There was a standard configuration of PC that was allowed to be networked but some manager would go out and buy Macs and wonder why they wouldn't run the corporate software or work on the corporate network. They would then get the ear of some VP and my people would have to spend hundreds of hours "making" them work. My greatest day was September 10th, 1993. I became the VP and shut the Macs down at Bell South Enterprise Systems. No back office departments could use Macs and graphics, marketing and New Product Development could only use the with my sign off. (These areas are where Macs really excelled) The network became stable and costs went down.

Apple now has some nice, home user products but still have not made the required in-roads into the corporate world. They are getting their act together but it's going to take awhile before they become the standard. Who knows. If they change their OS and can natively run more applications then they may have a chance.

BTW: There will be MAC users who will flame me and say what I just said is bull.:o

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me