Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Admiral

Default Tuesday Morning

Morning Mates, it's an overcast but humid day here in Pictou County. Not supposed to get higher than 21, or 69F but it feels warmer. Also expecting thundershowers...so what else is new?

I have managed to get myself a nasty summer cold, it came out with a vengeance yesterday and I feel like crap today. Probably got it from wiping little noses all last week...
At least I don't have to worry about going in to work, I am going to rest, get better and enjoy the rest of my summer.

donna
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
The heat shall continue they say. So I am thinking that perhaps I will just become a slug like creature and hang out here at the house. I did get out in the pool yesterday and may today as well. I was happy to find that I needed to down size to a smaller swimsuit. Pretty much most of my old clothes are not fitting anymore. Today I hit the 30 pounds lost mark and I couldn't be happier. Life is good!
I felt so bad for d/h yesterday. I booked him a contract job in Chicago this week and of course we are both on this diet, so I packed him a weeks worth of food in the Koolatron. It's like a small portable fridge that will run on ac or dc power and he left Sunday night after our youth concert. His hotel was under renovation so it was not the best accommodations and he didn't get to bed til after midnight. Then he gets up the next morning to go teach his class and no one shows up. So they decide to have him go out to teach at one of their training centers in the suburbs, which is great except he has a hotel downtown, and the commute is the pits. So anyhow I booked him a hotel out near that training center and he had to go get his car and load it up in that awful heat, it took him 2 hours to drive there. But he made it and now he is out there.
I tell ya, I think we could both use a cruise right now.

Hope you all have a great day! Stay cool!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning folks from Minnesauna.

Like many of you we are also in the midst of a heat wave. The high yesterday was 98 with a heat index around 112. For those of you in places like Arizona just think you are having an average day but it's a sauna.

We spent yesterday on the lake. We swam, tubed and I dragged Betty around the lake on skis. The grandkids had a great time and I think the highlight of the day was feeding the ducks and carp at a local lake restaurant.

Today is supposed to be hotter and we should break the 100 degree mark. I need to mow the lawn but I'm going to let it grow until Thursday when it is a bit cooler.

I also cut the heck out of my right ring finger. It's the first time in years I've cut myself while cooking. I wasn't paying attention when dicing up a Kohlrabi and I really cut it good. I was also in more trouble because I self sutured it. Betty gave me heck for doing that instead of going to the ER. Hey it worked and I only had to give myself four sutures. It ain't pretty but it's doing what it's supposed to. The bad part is that typing is a real PITA. Especially now that I'm using my netbook while I wait for my new laptop to arrive.

Donna: I hope you get better soon and BW I hope your husband has a better time now that he's relocated to a new class area.

I hope everyone has a great day and do whatever you need in order to stay cool.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Captain

Hot here too! We had a nasty storm pass through last night and it is raining now with thunder boomers included. I have my 2 grandaughters today, they are both sleeping beauties right now. I will have to come up with some indoor activities to keep them occupied when they awake.
It was a very busy but great weeked for us last weekend. Had our big square dance with 125 dancers there each night. D/H and I were in charge of the campground/dancers. We had 14 units and loads of fun during the day then dancing all evening followed by visiting until the wee hours of the morning. The weather was warm but at the campground under the trees with a breeze blowing it was just perfect.
We have another smaller campout dance this weekend so sometime this week I need to restock the motorhome and get ready to roll.
BW congrats on the 30lbs! I think I found some of it this weekend
RD sorry about the cold. I had one a few weeks ago, lasted about 2 weeks so get ready. Rest and enjoy your free time.

Hope everyone has a great day and stays cool.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning everyone from a what else is new HOT Texas. I was doing my daily workout yesterday at our local pool, when it began to rain. We all stopped to enjoy it. To give you an idea on how long it has been. Jim left for Iraq in May. The next week, we had about 2 hours of rain. Yesterday was our only other rain event. It only rained a few minutes, but it was wonderful. Can anyone else besides me, smell rain?

This morning I have another workout, and my abs are killing me. We are working toward 1000 crunches, by the end of the summer. Yesterday we did 500. Not bad for someone who started the year off by getting winded going to the mail box.

As most of you know, I live in a small military town. Yesterday I found out that one of my former students was killed this weekend. It looks like it was an accidental shooting. It is all over the news, papers,TV and they had a candlelight thing in the park last night, which took place behind our house. Odd thing was yesterday in our workout, I noticed that people were doing a lot of hugging directed at me. I thought everyone was just being loving, I did not know that they knew about Rafael, and thought I did to. Luckily, I had not heard yet, so the workout was good. It wasn't until I came home that I realized what happened. It brings what happened to us all back again. the details of this shooting, mesh with what happened to us, and it really makes the whole thing feel like it just happened.

I can't stress enough for loving your family, counting your blessings, and figureing out what in your life is really important, and what is just minor things.

I want to reach out and help, but how do I begin to tell this family what they are up against in the next couple of years. They are in shock, which is the best state of mind, but soon it will be real.

I feel as if my legs have been knocked out from under me. I am so sick of having to get back up again.

Please hug, call, or pray for your babies today!!! Do it for me.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Morning all. Gonna be a busy one for me. Hope you all have a wonderful day.
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Yep R/D, I think it may be time for you to retire and start to relax. Betcha' when you do, without all that worry over your head, your health will dramatically improve.

Sorry B/W to hear about your D/H's problems. Sounds as if, to put it mildly, that your client needs some training in organizational skills as well!

Luanne, it goes without saying that my heart goes out to Raphael's family and to you, especially with such an horrific event following so closely on the heels of your late son's birthday. I so understand your pain as I am, of course, still greatly experiencing mine. God Bless you and Jim and as you said, please everyone take time to hug the ones you love and tell them so, as often as you can!

It's forecast to be 88 F today (but then yesterday they forecast 89 F and it got to 93 F) with a 40 % chance of thunderstorms. I have to get my two suits that I now fit into for the first time in almost 17 years to the cleaners in time for the huge benefit Tri-Cities Got Talent being held at the beautiful Paramount in Bristol on Saturday, to the cleaners. Will go up early in the morning for set up and will change in the late afternoon. I also have to absolutely get my grass cut sometime today (preferably before the heat of the afternoon sets in). Right now it's only 71 F so maybe I can quickly get dressed, get my errands run and get back and get to work.

I did my BMI and I am no longer classified obese, just overweight by about fifteen pounds or so (all of it in the midsection but of course ). I've lost 63 pounds since Fran died.

I've arranged for oxygen to be awaiting at my overnight stops in Cleveland and Indianapolis. I didn't want to put our dear friends who live outside Indianapolis and with whom we're staying to go through all the hassle of a liquid O2 delivery but she pointed out it not only would it be no problem but she'd rather wake up Saturday morning and not find me dead.

Prayers for everyone (tonight especially Raphael and his family and friends) on the list and a request for God's Blessings upon you all.

Todd
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Good morning
Hot & humid again today, the air is so think you can’t even breath. Going to drop off the old car at the dealer and that’s about it.

Luanne… Good for you and keeping with your goals, and you’re so right about counting our blessing and knowing what’s really important in life.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old July 19th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Default Tuesday Morning

Good morning! Yep, it's gonna be hot here, too.

Aerogirl, congratulations on your new car.
BW, congratulations on that weight loss.
Mike, congratulations on becoming a surgeon in record time!

We plan to stay cool today. Nothing much gong on anyway.

Judy
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Hey, you Mike and Sue snuck in while I was writing my post! I at least hope you got some suture equipment from your daughter! If not, better take about 500 antibiotic tabs! And who needs zylocaine if you have bourbon in the house or maybe even Strega, right? BTW, what were you using to cut the Kohlrabi, a chain saw?

Sue, sounds as if you've got all of your ducks in a row and don't press too hard Moiraine, especially if you're going to be out of doors.

Sounds as if our weather is "cool" compared to many of you. It's only about 90-91 here with heavy humidity but I can't imagine it's being in the upper nineties with heavy humidity but according to the forecast, we're a'gonna' find out about Thursday!

Bought a summer sports coat and finally found three nice polos with a pocket (they're almost impossible to find these days). Anyway, I'm glad I waited, I saved $150 as they were marked down to a fraction of retail. Just finding a 48 Long in a summer sport coat at this time of the year is nigh impossible around these parts. It's nothing I would have paid retail for but at this stage of the game, I can't be a choosy beggar.

Stay in out of the sun and PLEASE if you have any elderly friends or neighbors check in on them. As we get older we tend to lose our sensitivity to a degree when it comes to temperature extremes.

Stay cool everyone.

Todd
Old July 19th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Todd,

I just used some 2 pound test fishing line and a hook needle. I sterilized it by soaking them is some 97% isopropol. :o Cleaned it out with sterile water and bit the bullet and poured the isopropol in it before starting to suture. The styptic I used to stop the bleeding was a bit messy but I got around it.

So far so good. No sign of infection except for this green drainage and a weird smell. :o

Seriously: I did use a suture kit. My first thought was to go for the Super Glue but it was a little too deep for that.

I did stop the bleeding with styptic or at least stopped it long enough to get it sewn up.

I think Betty was actually mad about all the blood on the kitchen floor and in the sink. I was in mid-surgery when she came home and hadn't had a chance to clean up.

Take care,
Mike (Who's sewn up a few hunting dogs and a couple of other gashes on himself)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me