CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Why do spammers send you email to confirm you want no more email? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/383978-why-do-spammers-send-you-email-confirm-you-want-no-more-email.html)

Paul Motter July 29th, 2011 03:30 PM

Why do spammers send you email to confirm you want no more email?

This happened to me twice yesterday...

I HATE this...

All I want to do is unsubscribe from some email I never signed up for. So I hit the link and it asks me to "sign in" first.

Finally you maybe find a place where you can just say :take this email address of your list" so you do it and they immediately send you an email...

"Did you ask to be unsubscribed?" (answer: yes)

new email "why do you want to leave?" (because of stupid emails like this!)

Lakers Fan July 29th, 2011 04:17 PM

Most places that get your e-mail sell your e-mail address .

Fern July 29th, 2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1384016)
This happened to me twice yesterday...

I HATE this...

All I want to do is unsubscribe from some email I never signed up for. So I hit the link and it asks me to "sign in" first.

Finally you maybe find a place where you can just say :take this email address of your list" so you do it and they immediately send you an email...

"Did you ask to be unsubscribed?" (answer: yes)

new email "why do you want to leave?" (because of stupid emails like this!)

Sorry, Paul, but you should know this :confused:! Never unsubscribe from someone who sends you email. If you do, it just shows them that your email address is "good" and active.

You should send these emails to your Spam folder without making any contact with the sender.

Phil&Liz July 29th, 2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern (Post 1384067)
Sorry, Paul, but you should know this :confused:! Never unsubscribe from someone who sends you email. If you do, it just shows them that your email address is "good" and active.

You should send these emails to your Spam folder without making any contact with the sender.

Exactly correct. Never respond to junk email...never open them. If you don't know the sender or the subject doesn't make sense, dump it.

See if your provider has a "filter" the can create to block the spam. Filters can be set to look for subject or certain key words you catch in frequent mails you get from the spammers.

Mike M July 30th, 2011 08:48 AM

That's why Spam Filters and "Block Sender" were invented. :D

Yep: Never "Unsubscribe" to Spam.

Take care,
Mike

Lakers Fan July 30th, 2011 11:19 AM

I know people who have 2 e-mail addresses ,one for family ,friends and relatives and one for everything else .

MercedMike July 30th, 2011 11:42 AM

Domain

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1384153)
I know people who have 2 e-mail addresses ,one for family ,friends and relatives and one for everything else .

Actually I have a domain name registered, so EVERY email address at that domain is ME. I have unlimited email addresses.

My principal email is mike@domainname.com. All those people who send me jokes send them to jokes@domainname.com. But for this board I could use cruisemates@domainname.com, and then if I get any spam as a result of registering here I will know it.

OTOH I get strange spam addressed to things like medvinsky@domainname.com and have no idea whence they come.

And if anybody cares to send email to damfool@domainname.com I will get that too!
:D

Lakers Fan July 30th, 2011 12:14 PM

As Arte Johnson often said "Very interesting" .

Paul Motter July 30th, 2011 12:52 PM

Just to be clear - although i said "SPAMMER" I was really referring to legitimate newsletters that I just don't want to hear from anymore.

Many of them add me because, yes, they think I am a travel agent, or they know I write articles. Or it was just something I bought online and they "take the liberty" of adding you.

In any case - I know not to unsub from real spammers, but I don't get real spam anymore since we migrated our mail to use the GOOGLE mail servers - they have GREAT SPAM FILTERs. If I ever want to see it I can go into the "junk" folder, but it works so well I never even have to check in there.

But a legitimate newsletter - like ours - if you ever wish to unsubscrube the process is easy - you just follow the link on the newsletter. So, I do unsubscribe from honest newsletters - but some of them do send these stupid follow up letters.

Mike M July 30th, 2011 12:59 PM

I am so glad we switched over to gmail. My spam filter on my firewall would weed out almost 300 spam emails a day on my cruisemates email. The bad part was that the filter parameters would, once in a while weed out a legitimate email. Now, I only have a couple a day and don't have to worry about missing a legitimate email.

Take care,
Mike

Paul Motter July 30th, 2011 02:22 PM

Tes - it works really well - that was one good thing about not having me in charge of everything technical about the site anymore. There is just too much to know these days.