Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2011, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Default UFO's

Do you believe in UFO 's ? Did you ever encounter one ?
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2011, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Someone once asked me ...UFO or God can't have both....UFO then I said...
Old July 31st, 2011, 07:10 PM
Admiral

I've seen UFO's, while in flight, on dark nights! Don't know if they were REALLY from outer space, but they certainly were UFO's.

"SKY"
Old July 31st, 2011, 07:26 PM
Captain

Smile

Does anybody remember the movie chariets of the gods? They brought up some interesting questions.They showed cave drawings fom the caveman days where they had drawn spaceships with people in them on the cave walls! As far as believing in ufos .I belieave there are times we cant ID was is flying by.Ithink believeing in ufos and Aliens is two diffrent things.
Old July 31st, 2011, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Don't know about UFO's but I like the band UFO!!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old July 31st, 2011, 08:56 PM
Admiral

I believe that aliens from another solar system have visited this planet since the beginning of time .
Old August 1st, 2011, 08:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

I Believe!
Old August 1st, 2011, 08:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I do believe there are other life forms somewhere in the solar system, I also believe the government knows more than they will ever let on?? Very interesting subject...

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 1st, 2011, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Default UFO's

I've never seen a UFO, but cold there be life in another solar system? Sure, why not?

Judy
Old August 1st, 2011, 02:37 PM
First Mate

A prominent science fiction writer --- I think it might have been Isaac Asimov --- once said that the only thing scarier than the idea that there might be other intelligent lifeforms somewhere out there, was the idea that there might not be.
Old August 1st, 2011, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Default Donna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I do believe there are other life forms somewhere in the solar system, I also believe the government knows more than they will ever let on?? Very interesting subject...
This is a definite .
Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:36 PM
Admiral

Not surprising that everybody would think that the government is once again being untruthful.

Way back in my 1960s college days, there was a requirement at Northwestern that those of us who were not science majors take three science courses. It was because of some arcane concept called "Liberal Arts," where educators thought students should learn about "lotsa stuff," no matter their major.

Anyway, one of the most popular science courses for non-scientists was introductory astronomy, and it was popular because it was always taught not by some teaching assistant, but by Dr. J. Allen Hynek, one of the foremost astronomers of that or any other era. Hynek always said he felt that the introductory course was the most important one he taught, because it would be the last most of us would learn about our universe.

At that time, in addition to heading the astronomy department at Northwestern, Hynek was also the head of the Air Force's "Project Blue Book," the outfit assigned to investigate UFO sightings. On a couple of occasions while I was taking his course, Hynek didn't show up for class. We knew what that meant: we'd better damn well show up for the NEXT class, because stories would be told!!

And were they ever. He would explain in detail the nature of the sighting, the course of his overnight investigation, his data, and his conclusions. He always found a physical explanation. Naturally, he took a lot of crap for this, with constant accusations then, as now, of government lies, coverups and all the rest.

On the last day of class he stood before us and spoke with some emotion. He said that while people were always ready to assail his findings, they often forgot to ask him the obvious question: does he think they're out there?

"Of course they're out there," he said. "We are scientists. We are humbled by the universe we study, and we know very little about it. But we have learned enough to know that because of its sheer size, simple math tells us that we are not alone. But in order to know when something is unexplainable, we must make every effort to explain what we can. This is what I do. Doctors call it eliminating false positives. For this, I am reviled, called a stooge, and all the rest. That's fine. My advice to you is to apply all the wisdom you can to what you do, but to keep your minds open to the unknowable."

After I graduated I had the chance to chat with Dr. Hynek on a number of occasions, and to enjoy his wonderful sense of humor. Imagine how pleased I was when Spielberg chose him as technical advisor for Close Encounters of the Third Kind. There's even a "tribute" cutaway of him looking at the blinding lights from the ship.

Just three years ago Terry and I flew to California to attend a surprise birthday party for a dear friend who was turning 90. At our table was a couple named Hynek, and I couldn't help asking if they'd ever heard of my old astronomy prof. "My Dad!" came the reply, and so began a lovely conversation about the late Dr. Hynek with his son. What are the odds?

So the short answer is, of course we're not alone. But the "proofs" that are sometimes offered are usually more than a little shaky.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I believe that aliens from another solar system have visited this planet since the beginning of time .
Neighbors? Or relatives of your neighbors?
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 2nd, 2011, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Default 1960's

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
Not surprising that everybody would think that the government is once again being untruthful.

Way back in my 1960s college days, there was a requirement at Northwestern that those of us who were not science majors take three science courses. It was because of some arcane concept called "Liberal Arts," where educators thought students should learn about "lotsa stuff," no matter their major.

Anyway, one of the most popular science courses for non-scientists was introductory astronomy, and it was popular because it was always taught not by some teaching assistant, but by Dr. J. Allen Hynek, one of the foremost astronomers of that or any other era. Hynek always said he felt that the introductory course was the most important one he taught, because it would be the last most of us would learn about our universe.

At that time, in addition to heading the astronomy department at Northwestern, Hynek was also the head of the Air Force's "Project Blue Book," the outfit assigned to investigate UFO sightings. On a couple of occasions while I was taking his course, Hynek didn't show up for class. We knew what that meant: we'd better damn well show up for the NEXT class, because stories would be told!!

And were they ever. He would explain in detail the nature of the sighting, the course of his overnight investigation, his data, and his conclusions. He always found a physical explanation. Naturally, he took a lot of crap for this, with constant accusations then, as now, of government lies, coverups and all the rest.

On the last day of class he stood before us and spoke with some emotion. He said that while people were always ready to assail his findings, they often forgot to ask him the obvious question: does he think they're out there?

"Of course they're out there," he said. "We are scientists. We are humbled by the universe we study, and we know very little about it. But we have learned enough to know that because of its sheer size, simple math tells us that we are not alone. But in order to know when something is unexplainable, we must make every effort to explain what we can. This is what I do. Doctors call it eliminating false positives. For this, I am reviled, called a stooge, and all the rest. That's fine. My advice to you is to apply all the wisdom you can to what you do, but to keep your minds open to the unknowable."

After I graduated I had the chance to chat with Dr. Hynek on a number of occasions, and to enjoy his wonderful sense of humor. Imagine how pleased I was when Spielberg chose him as technical advisor for Close Encounters of the Third Kind. There's even a "tribute" cutaway of him looking at the blinding lights from the ship.

Just three years ago Terry and I flew to California to attend a surprise birthday party for a dear friend who was turning 90. At our table was a couple named Hynek, and I couldn't help asking if they'd ever heard of my old astronomy prof. "My Dad!" came the reply, and so began a lovely conversation about the late Dr. Hynek with his son. What are the odds?

So the short answer is, of course we're not alone. But the "proofs" that are sometimes offered are usually more than a little shaky.
My college days were also in the 60's and I so vividly recall the Liberal Arts classes .
Old August 2nd, 2011, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Default Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Neighbors? Or relatives of your neighbors?
I believe they initially came to Calgary and Edmonton .