CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Passengers sneaking whiskey aboard ships (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/384029-passengers-sneaking-whiskey-aboard-ships.html)

Lakers Fan July 31st, 2011 07:51 PM

Passengers sneaking whiskey aboard ships

A friend of mine told me that on his last cruise he encountered a passenger who brought wiskey in a listerine bottle .Another passenger he met brought whiskey aboard in a colostomy bag . That is the weirdest thing I ever heard related to cruising .

Dhill July 31st, 2011 08:13 PM

One of my friends from work went on a cruise to Alaska he put some rum in a listerine bottle and brought it on board.He said it made the Rum taste like listerine.I thought it was funnyrofl

Marc July 31st, 2011 09:10 PM

This is old "news;" people have been smuggling booze onboard for years. :)

Lakers Fan July 31st, 2011 09:58 PM

Interesting

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc (Post 1384421)
This is old "news;" people have been smuggling booze onboard for years. :)

I'm not a cruise veteran ,this was the first I heard of this .On my most recent cruise 2 guy that I spoke to said they brought cases of diet coke aboard ship.

Trip July 31st, 2011 10:16 PM

I am sure every possible container available has been used to smuggle. Personally I don't get it. Once when I toured the NCL Majesty in Boston, I watched them take bottle after bottle from people's carry-ons.

Dannyboy August 1st, 2011 12:57 AM

Aged Whiskey

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1384412)
A friend of mine told me that on his last cruise he encountered a passenger who brought wiskey in a listerine bottle .Another passenger he met brought whiskey aboard in a colostomy bag . That is the weirdest thing I ever heard related to cruising .

I wonder if he rinsed out the colostomy bag out before he filled it with Whiskey?
On the otherhand, it would look funny having a straw in a colostomy bag cruising around the pool.

anniegb August 1st, 2011 05:36 AM

Glad to hear it was Irish or other Whiskey rather than Scotch Whisky :)

Annie

PS I don't understand this obsession with alcohol smuggling but again I don't drink that much and my bar bill is never that high.

Manuel August 1st, 2011 08:16 AM

When I travel I try to carry as little as possible. I have enjoyed all of my cruises and I do my share of drinking, but I have no problem with paying the bar bill.

TM

Mike M August 1st, 2011 08:57 AM

The popular "Rum Runners" used to smuggle booze on board basically looks like a colostomy bag with a cap on it.

People have been smuggling booze ever since the cruise lines stopped allowing passengers to bring it on.

A few years ago we spent a couple of days pre-cruise in our embarkation port (I actually can't remember which one) and my wife bought a pint of vodka for evening cocktails. When it came time to go to the ship she still had half of it left. Being the "frugal" woman she is there was no way she was going to get rid of it and she put it in a Sprite bottle and put it in her luggage. It made it through with no problem. The only problem was that I had no idea of what she had done. I was sitting at the desk and the bottle of Sprite was right there so I opened it and took a drink. Let's just say I was "surprised". :D

Take care,
Mike

Sistersolo August 1st, 2011 10:06 AM

Holland America and Celebrity both allow passengers to bring wine on board, for consumption in their cabins. Since I normally fly to the port city, I've never been able to take advantage of that until my last cruise. I took a bottle of Marsala on in NYC, and both I and several other passengers I spoke with were surprised that no one actually checked to see what the bottle was. It could just as well have been a whiskey.

Marc August 1st, 2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1384434)
I'm not a cruise veteran ,this was the first I heard of this .On my most recent cruise 2 guy that I spoke to said they brought cases of diet coke aboard ship.

Henry, I was being sarcastic regarding "news;" the choice of forums. I am surprised that the moderators have not been moved to another forum.

Sorry, sometimes sarcasm doesn't work very well if it is not obvious.

green_rd August 1st, 2011 10:09 PM

Marc - I surprised you didn't mention your favorite cruise line is all inclusive so sneaking whiskey would be like taking coals to Newcastle. (Though I suppose one might have their favorite brand.)

Marc August 2nd, 2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1384648)
Marc - I surprised you didn't mention your favorite cruise line is all inclusive so sneaking whiskey would be like taking coals to Newcastle. (Though I suppose one might have their favorite brand.)

I have tried to break that broken record. I have known people who have picked up local beer in each port to taste while onboard.

jmel21 September 18th, 2011 03:28 PM

A colostomy bag? REALLLY????

That is almost as disgusting as a douche bag. Must be a SERIOUS cheap alcoholic. I used to bring booze on all time....and so do many other passengers. My Dad used to bring a case of beer in each suit case. I'm diamond on RCI and he's Diamond plus. It's not that we can't afford to buy it onboard and on top of that we get free drinks anyway due to our status. It was mainly the convienence. I like a glass of wine while I'm doing my hair & getting dressed. I don't want to wait for room service to bring it.
As a TA I can order a bottle or two for my cabin at a big discount so I no longer smuggle it onboard. Dad books suites now so he has quicker service and Mom doesn't want him drinking all the beer anyway. There are much easier ways to do it. I see it all the time.

hollyjob September 19th, 2011 06:57 AM

This thread cracks me up! I just finished my cruise on the Voyager of the seas. I bought a nice "tower" of small bottles of liqour from San Marino. So, being the good passenger I am, I took it directly to the "alcohol check in". The guy at the desk gave me this crazy look and said "we don't care about that, just take it to your room" ROFL The couple behind me with two bottles of wine walked right behind me......we were all glad to keep the alcohol in our possession :)

Cruise Cat September 23rd, 2012 09:09 PM

OMG!!! A colostimy bag? Now I have heard it all!

mehawk September 24th, 2012 09:33 AM

We wrapped two bottles, one was bourbon and the other vodka, in a towel and placed them into our luggage and they made the trip to the cabin with no problem. This was done the last three cruises out of Galveston. They tag the luggage but I assume it is for a liquid being in it. The containers were the original containers. Saved us money on our liquor bigtime!!

storybookcruises.com September 24th, 2012 01:50 PM

When cruising on Disney for the first time, I found it hilarious to see guys pulling their carry-on luggage with a case of beer strapped onto it. (Disney allows you to bring on any alcohol you want to onboard.)

I've heard some weird ways people have to sneak booze onboard, but a colostomy bag? That's a new one on me!

I have a client who takes great pride in sneaking booze onboard and he does it by wrapping the bottle in tin foil and shaping it to look like something else. Showed me pictures and they are quite elaborate.

There are sandals that have a flask built into them (made by Reef and called the Reef Dram), but unfortunately it's only 1.5 ounces per sandal and they're not making them anymore. Now, if I could get those in 1/2 gallon size..... rofl

But they still make a sandal called the Reef Fanning that has a bottle opener built into it.

Pete