Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Default Captains Private Cocktail Party

On my cruise 2 weeks ago my BDW and myself were invited to a private cocktail party given by the ships captain . Approximately 20 people were there including the CD and a ships officer . My question is how is it determined who is invited to such a party ?It was a first for us.
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Admiral

I have usually found that the Social Hostess is the one that determines who would be invited.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 5th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Admiral

We have only been invited when we have dined on an officers table...but on our last cruise a couple that seemed to be "well in" with everyone went to all the parties. I rather like being asked to private parties, makes us feel special. Sad I know.
Old August 5th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Admiral

My DW and I have been invited to sit at the Captain's table for dinner three times and we have also been invited to private parties such as those you mentioned.
The Social Hostess is the one who does the invitations.

However, on our last cruise we were invited to a party hosted by the Chief Engineer.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old August 5th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Henry.. you were invited to ask questions
Old August 5th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Admiral

Default Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Henry.. you were invited to ask questions
"I'm not a Henry43 .I only play one on CM."
Old August 6th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Admiral

it is normally a mixture of passengers who have (a) paid vast amounts for the cruise (b) friends of the crew (c) passengers on officer's tables (d) past/most travelled passengers (e) have some sort of common link with the senior officers (home town, sports interests etc).

I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons, but you never like to ask incase that get's you bumped off future lists ;o)

Alan.

Next: Queen Elizabeth December 2014
Followed by: Minerva April 2015

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(6), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old August 6th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Admiral

That's interesting, we were on the chief pursers table on Arcadia didn't know why, just assumed we were put forward as we had been on a table previously & had spent quite a few days on the ship that year.....BUT when we chatted with the purser he said "you have a good Indian near you" (Botley) turned out he lived up the road!
Old August 6th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandajones View Post
it is normally a mixture of passengers who have (a) paid vast amounts for the cruise (b) friends of the crew (c) passengers on officer's tables (d) past/most travelled passengers (e) have some sort of common link with the senior officers (home town, sports interests etc).

I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons, but you never like to ask incase that get's you bumped off future lists ;o)

Alan.
We paid a very low rate for the cruise.
No friends among the crew
Were not invited to sit with a ships officer
This was only our 5th.cruise
No common interests
Old August 6th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Maybe they just wanted someone to talk about!!
Old August 6th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Default My thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Maybe they just wanted someone to talk about!!

Perhaps they knew something about me that they thoight might generate good conversation .
Old August 6th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Talking Privileges

One of our early cruises, I was very surprised on being introduced to the Captain that he made a point of saying, "Mr. 'Jones', we are so happy to have you aboard. If there is anything we can do, please let me know right away." The Cruise Director and the Social Hostess made similar remarks, offering to put themselves at my disposal at any time for any questions or problems.

Now I thought this was very nice but didn't quite understand it. A little discreet inquiry revealed that there was a very large group aboard in some of the most expensive cabins and their group leader was ... yes ... Mr "Jones"!!

-- having a common name is a pain at times, but can also occasionally work out ...

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old August 6th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Default Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
One of our early cruises, I was very surprised on being introduced to the Captain that he made a point of saying, "Mr. 'Jones', we are so happy to have you aboard. If there is anything we can do, please let me know right away." The Cruise Director and the Social Hostess made similar remarks, offering to put themselves at my disposal at any time for any questions or problems.

Now I thought this was very nice but didn't quite understand it. A little discreet inquiry revealed that there was a very large group aboard in some of the most expensive cabins and their group leader was ... yes ... Mr "Jones"!!

-- having a common name is a pain at times, but can also occasionally work out ...
I have the same name as someone quite well known is certain circles so perhaps that could be why .
Old August 6th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
No common interests

Hence the reason I said "it is normally a mixture of ..."

Our first time was only our second cruise, so we know the list it isn't exclusive to that list.

Alan.

PS a Bold Red reply - that's rather aggressive isn't it?

History :
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(6), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey

Last edited by kandajones; August 6th, 2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old August 6th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
No common interests
Henry, you or your wife could have shown common courtesy to a fellow guest or crew member that was witnessed by Social Hostess; as little as that can get you invited. We were invited to the Captain's Table on our second Radisson cruise. We had absolutely nothing in common with the other two couples or the Captain; ship happens. We had a wonderful dinner and ended up spending a lot more time with the Captain during the rest of the cruise. Captain Neil Broonhall is still one of our favourite Captains. That time it was the Social Hostess; we spent more time with her too. In fact, the Captain and Social Hostess ended up beating us in the crew vs pax shuffleboard tournament (happened after our dinner with Captain).

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old August 6th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Whenever we have been on an officer's table it has been from the 1st night, sometimes they only attend Formal nights sometimes more often, I think it depends on how they get on with the table. I didn't realise the social niceties involved, good job I was told, but the way it goes is the officer will buy the wine 1st time but someone else is supposed to offer the next time...& so on.
Old August 6th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Hi John, glad to see that you said 'supposed to offer ....', it makes our blood boil when others just sit back & take, take, take.
We had one occasion where we made sure that we bought on the second Formal as it was our wedding anniversary, but the other nights no-one else offered & the Junior Officer had to stump up. We felt so bad that we offered on the final Formal, but the officer refused to allow us as "it wouldn't have been fair", hmmm say no more.
On a more recent occaision we had a couple of bottles delivered to us, so took them to our table on the last night - everyone drank the wines, and not one of the other passengers thanked us.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Alan

History :
Old August 6th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Admiral

We got on really well with "our" officer, in fact we had two some nights, after a while when I offered he said ''no don't worry about it it's on P&O'' ( wasn't a junior) He is over on Cunard now they swap about, even been on P&O Australia.
Old August 6th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Admiral

JTD and Alan - OK I am very unlikely to sail P&O but the thought of an Officer at my dinner table........ that settles it once and for all - never.

IMHO none of the Ships Crew should be seated in any Dining Room where passengers are present - yes that includes the Cpt and ChEng etc.

How can I discover what cruiselines adopt a similar policy? I would not want to sail them. A personal quirk but I spent the larger portion of my working life in the Shipping Industry and a more boring group of people I have yet to find.

Annie
Old August 6th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Both times it happened to us the officers were charming & interesting, still in touch with one. I was dreading the possibility of it happening to us but it was a most enjoyable experience.
Old August 6th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Admiral

Default Fao Annie

Hi Annie,

Similar to John, we have never had a bad or boring crew member & have also maintained contact with some of them.
The crew member will not join you on the first night, and the Maitre d' should tell you that your table will be hosted, so at that point you can easily ask to be assigned a different, non-hosted, table.

Hope that allays any fears,

Alan

History :
Old August 6th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Thanks Alan and John.

Fears allayed - a little foible of mine.

Annie
Old August 6th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Honestly I was dreading it & when I found out I thought OH NO!! or words to that effect, actually it made our cruise the first time, we met before dinner, had trips ashore, went to the shows..oddly always had a good spot in the theater or bar...one night we booked an alternative dining venue for 9, they called back to say we don't do nine, you will have to have two tables & insisted it was impossible to have one of nine....I said Ok which of the two tables do you suggest the purser sits at as it's his booking......click.....
Old August 6th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Default Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Henry, you or your wife could have shown common courtesy to a fellow guest or crew member that was witnessed by Social Hostess; as little as that can get you invited. We were invited to the Captain's Table on our second Radisson cruise. We had absolutely nothing in common with the other two couples or the Captain; ship happens. We had a wonderful dinner and ended up spending a lot more time with the Captain during the rest of the cruise. Captain Neil Broonhall is still one of our favourite Captains. That time it was the Social Hostess; we spent more time with her too. In fact, the Captain and Social Hostess ended up beating us in the crew vs pax shuffleboard tournament (happened after our dinner with Captain).
That may have been .I did not consider it.:o
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Captain

Smile

I dont get it so whats the big deal your eating dinner with a person who runs a cruise ship for a living. Would you feel the same way about eating a meal with the Captain of a tug Boat or Freighter? Would you feel the same if you ate a meal with a police officer or a fireman or a teacher or a person in the military you know the real heros.To me it seems like a statis thing. I am not saying I would not go but I dont think I would be all star struck.
Old August 7th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Dhill, when you get invited to the Captain's table you can certainly choose not to accept the invatation.

I have been invited three times and we have accepted all of them.
Each time we found a very interesting Gentleman as our host and guests who were friendly and wonderful table mates.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Old August 7th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
I dont get it so whats the big deal your eating dinner with a person who runs a cruise ship for a living. Would you feel the same way about eating a meal with the Captain of a tug Boat or Freighter? Would you feel the same if you ate a meal with a police officer or a fireman or a teacher or a person in the military you know the real heros.To me it seems like a statis thing. I am not saying I would not go but I dont think I would be all star struck.
I have found each Captain to be interesting with great sea stories. I have also found that most of my fellow guests at the Captain's table to be charming and also well travelled; I have learned so much from all of them. I have also eaten with many other Staff and entertainers. Sometimes, we will invite the CD or a lecturer or an entertainer to dinner. They also have great experiences. My TA arranges for "hosted tables" on all of our group cruises. We all sit with various members of the staff. One cruise, we even invited the Captain to dinner as he was one of our favourites.

Dhill, it is not a "status thing" but a chance to dine with interesting people; people you won't see very often.

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old August 7th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Dhill, it is not a "status thing" but a chance to dine with interesting people; people you won't see very often.
Very well said! That is exactly the way I feel.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Old August 7th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post

I never said or implied that the Captain of a cruise ship is my hero .

To me it was an honor to be considered to be at the Captains party .
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Admiral

In my opinion it's an honor to be invited to have dinner or attend a party with the Captain.
And I might add that it is also an honor for a person to have a meal and pleasnt conversation with another interesting person, no matter what he or she does for a living.

TM

Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13