Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Default Irene - now I'm worried

Apparently FOTS has changed its itinerary (reversing the order of ports).

Negative nellies on our M&M thread have been touting the possibility that she may stay an extra day at sea .... cutting our 7 nt to a 6 nt.

There is also talk of MCO shutting down over the weekend. We're flying into LAL on Saturday .... though FOTS is supposed to sail on Sunday.

I understand that if there are changes, RCCI offes your a refund of the fare pro-rated or the ability to cancel.

If FOTS docks a day late, and hence we sail a day late .... do the cruiselines cover expenses like guaranteed (no refund) rates on hotels, car rentals etc?
I'm curious what experience you all have with weater related cancellations.

Please send some good weather vibes by way of Port Canaveral please

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:25 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Reagarding a refund or option to cancel for a full refund for the possible missed day(s), that is at the cruiselines discretion if they will do so. It could be that they may even just provide a future cruise credit.....it all depends on how "irene" plays out and even now, it is too soon to say what path she will take with any guarantees of current correct projections.

As for RCI crediting for hotels, rental cars, etc..... don't count on that happening.

Let's just hope that the worst case scenario does not happen and that you are making alternate plans in advance, just in case.

Good luck to all cruisers sailing this weekend and I am hoping that y'all have taken out trip cancellation insurance.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"

Last edited by fun2cruiz; August 22nd, 2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
Admiral

We've sailed in hurricane season before .... but always been lucky to date.

I've been searching on line and have not been able validate the rumours that MCO is shutting down. I don't know if it is better or worse that I am flying into a regional airport.

I honestly hadn't paid the weather any thought until checking into the m&m thread today.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default Worried

Thinkk you guys are worried? Son lives on the east coast right where Irene is headed.

Lets hope she gets a westerly wind and blows her out into the Atlantic.

And too we here in Ocoee are only a little over 60 miles from the perdicted path.

Worried yep a little . Just had my roof replaced. Man has not come to collect yet so Maybe----.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:35 PM
Admiral

please tell us that you have trip insurance, especially trip cancellation/interuption insurance. You have a lot of what ifs to consider, unfortuntely it is too early to determine the hurricane's path, just keep checking in with either your travel agent or on RCCL's web site for updates. If the airport is closed it is up to the airline to divert you to another airport and/or shuttle you to the airport you were supposed to go to in the first place. As for your rental car or hotel, that doesnt' have anything to do with the cruise line, you would have to take it up with the hotel and car rental company( again trip insurance!) Technically the cruise line is only responsible for the cruise portion of your trip unless you bought a package with the cruise line. Might you get something? maybe.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Ray - good thoughts for you and your son.

Lisa ~ we have medical insurance but that is it. This might be an expensive lesson learned.

Just curious .... if FOTS stays an extra day at sea .... what happens to the folks who had travel arrangements booked to leave Orlando on Sunday .... do they just flood the airport and hope for the best to get another flight home? I would think that for the airlines, its "too bad, so sad, book another flight".

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old August 22nd, 2011, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Queen, that is a really good question that i don't have the answer to. Technically if you don't make your flight for whatever reason as long as its not the airlines fault, you might be out of luck, call your travel agent, and see if they have an answer for you. I would think that RCCL would have to do something, after all it would be thousands of people flooding the airports with no flights, what a logistical nightmare that would be.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:02 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

In some instances, cruiselines will provide a $100.00 per person credit for changes necessary on airline schedules to offset those fee's, but unless the cruiseline handled the air arrangements of the trip, basically passengers are on their own to reschedule flights.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

They've changed the track of Irene, and now have her headed more northward... maybe the Carolinas.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
They've changed the track of Irene, and now have her headed more northward... maybe the Carolinas.

Kuki, I think she's headed to the Maritimes, it has been incredibly windy here all day.....

donna
Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:21 PM
Admiral

The airports won't post anything about closing until just hours before they do it. With hurricanes you really can't tell until 24 hours before landfall what they will do and even then it can change direction.

Hubby asked me at lunch when we would put up our hurrican shutters and I told him Wed, that it was not happenning today. Maybe if tomorrow it looks like we will get a hit and have big rain on Wed then we probably will put the shutters up tomorrow but right now it is to early to say. We live less than 5 miles from the beach.

But the last time I looked the models were taking Irene more to the East so Fl may only get tropical storm winds Thurs and Friday, only one computer model shows Irene coming ashore and goin gup the center of the state. And if that is the case then Sat and Sun will be no problem for the airports and probably not with the pots either.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old August 22nd, 2011, 05:01 PM
Admiral

Thanks everyone ....I've read more on the internet and now know more than I ever wanted to about hurricanes!

It's so confusing to read conflicting reports ... one site says FL is clear, and the other says Irene is heading straight for you. i've been checking weather for the ports too; one has Cococay (our first stop on Monday) hosting thunder showers and another has nassau bright and sunny! Can there be that much variance between islands? Unfortunately, not all sites have weather for cococay; so I don't know who to believe!

I'm resolved to put on my rose coloured glasses and hope for the best!

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:23 AM
Admiral

We had similar thing happen on the FOTS in 2004 when Hurricane Frances decided to hover over Florida. We could not return to PC because the waters were too shallow with all the sand moving around and the tide changes so we were suppose to return to Ft Lauderdale a day late. Well, she hovered longer and we ended up debarking 2 days late in Miami very early in the morning. We had travel insurance which covered our missed hotel and current hotel plus meals. The airlines changed everyone's flights for free. The cruise after ours became a 5 day cruise and you did have the option to reschedule, get a refund or a 50% off your next cruise. Good luck!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 23rd, 2011, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Yikes! I hope that doesn't happen! While it would nice to get a 9-day cruise ..... I really don't want to get stuck with a 5 day

My biggest concern is our "discount" air through direct air. They only fly lakeland to buffalo on Saturdays and Mondays and Fridays.

From now on .... we stick to Southwest!

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991